Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(97 Posts)
12Michael Sat 28-Mar-20 06:14:39

Good Morning Everyone,
Yet another bright and sunny start this morning , again a changing day .
I went ti try and pay off a credit card yesterday , experience the towns only bank considering the size of Brackley closed.
But the local Post Office is doing the Banks stuff as well.
So once I have had my breakfast will make a walk towards to the post office and hopefully avoid a Que
Other wise a day of staying in .
Mick.

Susan56 Sat 28-Mar-20 09:09:30

Welcome 19829chad ??

fatgran57 Sat 28-Mar-20 09:19:49

Marydoll and annsixty flowers

Pittcity Sat 28-Mar-20 09:30:11

Good morning from an overcast Colchester. Still no rain forecast so I will be watering my garden pots again.
More of the same here today. Will be googling recipes to use what's in the house. DH still thinks he can pop out for one ingredient, I am determined to stick to a once a week shop.
Virtual hugs for Marydoll and Annsixty and all who need one xx
Remember to put your clocks forward tonight.....one hour less in quarantine!

NannyJan53 Sat 28-Mar-20 09:35:00

Good morning from a cloudy and decidedly chillier Black Country.

Well, the house is cleaner and tidier, but there is only so much housework that can be done!

Special hugs to Marydoll and DD, Also, Urmston , I know what you mean about a wobble, it sometimes just overwhelms doesn't it?

So sorry Ann about your operation. Why oh why are people still visiting each others homes? This could be over quicker if everyone just followed this simple rule.

flowers to whywhywhy

NanKate that sounds good fun!

Some good news. My friend text yesterday to say she has another granddaughter, born Wednesday. She now has two grandsons and two granddaughters. She is finding girls a new experience after having three sons herself.

Wishing you all the best day you can have.

gillybob Sat 28-Mar-20 09:39:36

Good morning from the NE coast where we have a cold start to Saturday (previously my 2nd best day of the week but now just the same as all the rest) .

I’m glad you are feeling a bit better Mick as our leader you really need to stay strong !

Sorry I missed your birthday yesterday PurplePixie I do hope you had the best day possible in these strange times flowers

Quite a dilemma BlueSapphire I’m not sure what you should do hmm there’s quite a high chance the cruise might not go ahead this year anyway so might be worthwhile asking if you can transfer the deposit to another booking . I would be reluctant to pay the balance right now though. Such a shame .

My little garden is looking a bit bare Ginny42 I have been working on it a little bit each day to keep my spirits up and now I just wish I had access to a garden centre so I could fill up the gaps. As you say, not important ...but I can dream. I can’t imagine the joy of having so much time to do anything I like, but with safety net of an income and minus this awful virus that is keeping me from my loved ones.

I have heard quite the opposite NfkDumpling (rescue centres) they are saying they are becoming overwhelmed as new owners cannot come and pick the dogs up. There’s actually a piece about it in the DM today.

I’m so sorry for you and your family today Marydoll but I am glad to hear your DD remains in good spirits . We will all have some stories to tell about this year. smile

I’m so sorry your operation was cancelled annsixty you would have been on the road to recovery today . Such a shame. I hope you are managing to control the pain.

Speaking of ram raids Harrigran I got a very long email from my business insurance people with a huge list of things they will not cover if the premises is left empty for any length of time. One of the conditions says that the premises should be inspected on a daily basis ! I wouldn’t even do that in normal circumstances as I NEVER go there on a Sunday. Basically I think they almost expect there will be problems in some areas and are putting excuses in place so they will not have to pay out . angry

Our sea front was crammed last weekend too Lins with people treating it like a long holiday . I expect it will be deserted this weekend though as the police are really cracking down.

Oh Urmston you conversation with your little granddaughter brought tears to my eyes . How can we expect the little ones to understand ? My DD FaceTimed me yesterday and Evie was bringing little dollies and ammimals to show me and asking me to kiss each one of them through the screen. I had a good cry afterwards. These are truly awful times.

Three cheers for your DD and all our wonderful NHS staff Auntieflo I hope she stays safe and knows how much we all appreciate what she and her colleagues are doing smile

Well I have gone on for far too long now . So many lovely heart warming posts these days I feel like we all have a little window into each other’s lives.

Thank you all for keeping me strong and relatively sane.

Love Gillybob xx

GrannySomerset Sat 28-Mar-20 09:41:33

Bright but bitter morning here in North Somerset with the day stretching out empty of the usual activities. Must get DH up and sorted but beyond that there is not a lot to look forward to.

An enterprising pair of young mums, who usually run a tea shop and cafe, are delivering frozen meals. Since they are both excellent cooks I have ordered some to have now and then as a treat, and they will be delivered later this morning.

If the wind drops I may tackle the weeds which are flourishing in the shady border. I need to do something constructive!

Loving thoughts to our regulars with very difficult lives.

gillybob Sat 28-Mar-20 09:43:25

Welcome to our wonderful Good Morning thread 19829chad I know “those looks* very well . smile

Nortsat Sat 28-Mar-20 09:48:37

Good morning Mick and the GM team.
Welcome 19829chad
? to Whywhywhy, annsixty, Marydoll, Urmston

We’re hanging in here. Top up shop yesterday was successful, my partner got almost everything we needed. I am also stocking up with our on line butcher. Not quite sure what will be achievable for our Easter meal.

Deep clean today.
Burgers (from the freezer) and salad for supper with a glass of wine.

Good wishes to all in Sick Bay and all of us who are missing hugs and kisses from family and friends. ?? (double flowers)

Curlywhirly Sat 28-Mar-20 09:52:38

whywhywhy I don't think you have posted for a few days, glad that you have today; you sound like you are suffering. Is there someone you can offload your feelings to? I know it can be hard to involve close relatives, so maybe a friend, especially one who has suffered with similar problems themselves. Failing that, maybe something off the internet, there are lots of websites that may help. Also, sit out in any sunshine there is, it is a well-known mood booster, all that vitamin D is very beneficial. I know it is a herculean task to try and feel positive or see the joy in anything, but we are all here for you, one little positive thanks take care xx

vena11 Sat 28-Mar-20 09:54:55

Good Morning from a sunny cold Bristol.

Cant believe I slept so long a nice feeling and then it all just hits you , I had a wobble yesterday too and had to take really deep breaths to calm myself down. Just not like me at all have to get a grip.

Marydoll thinking about you today flowers

annsixty flowers

Everyone have a good day.

Grammaretto Sat 28-Mar-20 10:05:10

Good morning Mick and everyone from the Scottish Borders where the sun is shining and it looks to be a fabulous Spring day.

We haven't been out or seen a soul, apart from shouting out an upstairs window, since Monday. But we are still counting our blessings. We have a lot of things we could do and there are 2 of us.

Very poignant day for the Marydolls . sending more chocolate eggs!

Sad to think of those whose operations and treatments have been cancelled.
DH has appointments next week but I reckon they won't go ahead.
DD is supposed to be moving house this weekend. We can't help.

But Spring is here and there's much to be grateful for. If we're spared, we can celebrate next year.

annsixty Sat 28-Mar-20 10:15:50

I have Scottish neighbours, the H died some years ago but M who has lived here for 50+ years ,still has a strong accent and when making plans, arrangements etc always adds, “ if I/ we are spared.

Taichinan Sat 28-Mar-20 10:17:54

Good morning Mick, glad you're feeling well enough to venture out - but I wish you wouldn't! Scentia I hope your cough turns out just to be a 'bug'. DS1 now suspects that DGS1 may not have the virus as he seems to be feeling better rather than worse, but he's staying away from the rest of the family and they're self- isolating for the required 14 days. Txquiltz me too. Grey skies = grey mood for me! I had the highlight of my week yesterday when my Mindful Chef box was delivered. No, it's not the food - it's the chap who delivers!! He's a darling, so kind and smiling and helpful. And he's a real live human being!! Roll on next Friday when he comes again! Having a video call with DD and DGDs 1 and 3 this afternoon which will be lovely. Thinking particularly of Marydoll and her DD today ? and others who are struggling for whatever reason. Keep cheerful everyone, and particularly for those who are totally alone - I wish you all your very own lovely delivery man! ????

Marydoll Sat 28-Mar-20 10:18:13

annsixty, my mother always said that! grin.

I hope you are not in too much pain just now. flowers

EllanVannin Sat 28-Mar-20 10:22:30

Good Morning All x.
Sunny now and again but more cloud than has been all week. A cold wind blowing too so no sitting out in it.

I was pleased to hear that the GGC had taken up an interest in gardening and my D had bought various plants/seeds and ordered a greenhouse to keep the children busy for the time they'll be off school. Potatoes and veggies too will be sown.
They have a decent sized garden which can be divided so lucky in that respect.

Brother rang again last night but it sounds as though he and his partner aren't coping too well. His partner has COPD and is a nervous wreck but they were more concerned about me ??
I told them I was fine and they insisted if I needed help in any way to ring them-----they're over 12 miles away across the water !? Neither of them are in the best of health. It's possible he meant financially, very kind but no thankyou.

Not sure what I intend doing today, besides a bit of cleaning. I should tidy my CD's in the cupboard and put them in some sort of order, A to Z ideally instead of the random stacks they're in at the moment. I want to see some results from this lock-in smile

Scentia, keep an eye on the sore throat/cough as winter colds etc are coming to an end. Sometimes as certain trees and blossoms start bursting out it can affect you in that way so wait and see. Rowan does it to me and I've never had hay-fever or allergies in my life, but there's a tree along where I am and it never fails.

Commiserations to all who've had events cancelled, particularly Marydoll after the months of preparation within the families, so disappointing.
Thoughts to everyone in these times. xx Look after yourselves.

Taichinan Sat 28-Mar-20 10:26:12

annsixty accents and regional idioms are funny things, aren't they. I was born in Scotland to English/Welsh parents and then married into the military so my accent was very much flattened out. Folks round here don't think I have a Scottish accent at all, and yet south of the border I have!

dragonfly46 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:26:33

Good morning, there are patches of blue sky in Leicestershire.

I too had a wobble yesterday Urmston it just seems interminable and everyday I am confronted with a new problem it seems. However, the upside is global warming has slowed, I no longer worry that everyone is leading a more exciting life than me and I can ring friends and family ant time I like as I know where they are! ?

gillybob Sat 28-Mar-20 10:33:59

My (Geordie) grandma always said that too annsixty smile

Along with such gems as “poor thing was left to god and good neighbours”
“What a life.... but better than the alternative” smile

DoraMarr Sat 28-Mar-20 10:36:55

whywhywhy I’m sorry you are feeling low. I think everyone on here does sometimes- and we just have to accept it. I’m not trivialising how you feel. Please keep posting on here, let us know how you are.

EllanVannin Sat 28-Mar-20 10:39:28

Speaking of " wobbles ", mine are in the evening when it gets dark----don't know why but I've had to pull myself together a couple of times.
I should be lucky we're not in the depths of winter.
Still, I'm not the only one and this situation is bound to affect many in different ways.

Marydoll Sat 28-Mar-20 10:40:29

dragonfly46, my isolated friend messaged me the other day, as I was making dinner. I replied, I'll phone you later, will you be in? grin

Callistemon Sat 28-Mar-20 10:50:19

Good morning Mick and everyone
Mick they seem to be showing old classic sport on TV so I hope you are able to watch those.
Beechnut oh dear - red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning, although it is fairly sunny here at the moment but with sudden sharp gusts of wind. Have a lovely chat with your DD, it's the most we can all do at the moment.
A friend phoned the other day and said she is phoning an old friend each day whom she doesn't see regularly and we had a lovely catch up. I am going to try to do the same.

Fingers crossed, the blossom will stay on the fruit tree.

annsixty I'm sorry your op was postponed but a hospital is the last place to be flowers

MaryDoll what a sad day. I'm glad your DD is being philosophical about it all. ???

Best wishes to all and we must try to stay safe and positive, although I admit to a wobble the other day. It was when I heard that the nurse who was in despair at not finding food had contracted the virus.

Callistemon Sat 28-Mar-20 10:52:31

Marydoll grin

My consultant emailed me to say that we would have a telephone consultation instead of me going to the hospital and I went to check the diary to make sure we'd be in
blush

BladeAnnie Sat 28-Mar-20 10:52:59

Good morning from a grey mid-Notts. We live right beside a main and as the week has progressed we have noticed a definite reduction in traffic. So it seems that at least some of the population are following the rules. We had the phone call from the hotel at Gretna Green yesterday which had been expected. Our may wedding has been postponed and understandably can't be rearranged until the country has returned to some degree of normality. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Stay safe everyone x

Callistemon Sat 28-Mar-20 10:53:49

Clocks go forward tonight everyone - lighter evenings

sunshine