Gransnet forums

Chat

When (local) Facebook is brilliant!

(12 Posts)
phoenix Sat 28-Mar-20 16:14:22

Hello all,

I posted on another thread about being the less than thrilled recipient of a white cabbage (Thank you not Mr P!)

Well, quick post on the village FB page offering it free, or happy to exchange for a green one, lo and behold! I leave my unwanted, large white cabbage outside in a bag, and find it has been taken and a green one plus some kale left in its place!

This is how it should be!

tanith Sat 28-Mar-20 16:18:24

How lovely phoenix enjoy your lovely greens. Hurrah for FB.

Laughterlines Sat 28-Mar-20 16:20:30

Well I never

phoenix Sat 28-Mar-20 16:28:38

Our local FB group is definitely worth being a member of, advance notice of road closures, sheep out at Rowden etc.

I think some might see Facebook as a waste of time (which it can be) but your local group can be very useful.

Those who have been anti Facebook might like to reconsider, especially under current circumstances.

Most local groups are counted as "closed" to stop unwanted posts, spam etc, but have a look and see what is available in your area.

You may have to create a Facebook account, but it isn't hard to block ads or to just connect with people or groups.

Squiffy Sat 28-Mar-20 16:32:11

..... and that’s magic! ?‍♀️?

Laughterlines Sat 28-Mar-20 16:43:19

Nextdoor good alternative

Soupy Sat 28-Mar-20 16:49:58

Ours has been wonderful; organising a local help/support group; putting up listings of pubs who will deliver meals; people offering to collect prescriptions etc.

boheminan Sat 28-Mar-20 16:51:54

Didn't there used to be a 'locals' section on GN?

phoenix Sat 28-Mar-20 18:26:54

bohemian yes but dont think it would have quite the same effect as a village (i.e. very local) social media platform.

BlueBelle Sat 28-Mar-20 18:52:56

I love the local FB I know a lot of people are suspicious of fb and anything to do with it but it’s always been good to me and as long as you keep your privacy settings strong there is nothing at all to be concerned about We have two or three wonderful groups that are shopping delivering and helping the homeless during this period A nurse said her stove had stopped working within a few short hours someone had donated a brand new table top cooker for her People are offering lifts delivering and donating
I love FB

seacliff Sat 28-Mar-20 19:34:15

Me too Bluebelle, totally agree, especially now.

I am a member of local groups, which can be so helpful in all sorts of ways.

I also join groups in which I have an interest in, crafts, painting etc. People not in the group cannot see your posts. If you then find you are not enjoying a particular group, just leave.

GrandmaMoira Sat 28-Mar-20 19:42:05

I agree that local FB groups are very helpful, particularly at the moment. I can go to FB and find out if the local supermarkets are well stocked or very busy each day, which restaurants are doing home delivery and small companies doing fruit and veg deliveries. I've recently had a roof repair completed by someone recommended on FB.