Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(84 Posts)
12Michael Sun 29-Mar-20 06:17:54

Good Morning Everyone,
I am up at my usual time , its twilight out there but looks dry and clear at the moment here in Brackley.
Today, semi self isolate , maybe a small shop , but trying not to spend more time on computer or watching TV.
The residential home i live in, we all had an internal letter as to the current situation,and obeying those orders made by not using the community lounge, , there is a group of around 6 who think they run the place whilst the management are not about by creating there own rules.
Mick

BlueSapphire Sun 29-Mar-20 08:15:44

But I will not be reading any of the virus pages, nor watching the news on TV; it's too depressing. There's enough news on the radio for me.

Marydoll Sun 29-Mar-20 08:17:22

Good morning all from a chilly Glasgow.

Elizabeth1, how lovely to see you posting on here. I'm glad to here you are making some progress, it's been a long journey for you.

Old Goat, happy anniversary to you and Roger, wink
It would have been the 50th anniversary of my friend who buried her son last week, so yesterday DH and I went out over the field behind us, rang her and asked her to come out, she was actually in the garden behind the wall. We had a brief chat, at least 2 metres apart over her garden wall, just to check she was OK. We then scurried back, without seeing a soul.
It was a tonic for all of us.

DD popped up with bread yesterday and we had a long chat, me at the door and she at the end of the drive.
She was much more positive than I imagined she would be, which was a relief for DH and I.
I feel so much better emotionally, in fact quiet relieved that the day has passed.
I was overwhelmed yesterday by all the good wishes and PMs, I received.
Thank you lovely Gransnetters. ?

I too am going to make banana loaf for DH, lots of over ripe bananas, but the baps, Auntieflo, will be left until tonight, to allow them to rise slowly over night!

For all of those unwell, anxious and experiencing sadness and sorry in these terrible times, my thoughts and prayers.

Curlywhirly Sun 29-Mar-20 08:21:27

Good morning from a sunny but cold Cheshire. It was very cold here yesterday, am hoping it isn't so bad today, but we'll see. Finally started on clearing out some paperwork in the 'office" (spare bedroom). My word, there's stuff there from 2003! Managed to shoehorn his lordship off the armchair to sort his stuff out too. There's still lots to go through (he had his own business for many years, so there's loads of paperwork connected with that). Hopefully, we can do more today. DS2 dropped off some shopping yesterday (stuff I had forgotten!) He left it in the porch then stepped back, we then opened the door and had a 5 min chat from a great distance. He lives on his own and he and his mates have a joint skype type call (is it zoom?) each evening at 8.00pm, as a substitute to meeting in the pub! Presume that a few beers are consumed, just to make it feel authentic ??? I had to nip to the chemist yesterday, only one person at a time allowed in; there were 6 people in front of me - all at a distance - waiting to go in. When I finally got in the poor chemist was on his own, all his staff were self isolating! Poor fella. I noticed The Co-Op, next to the chemist, was shut for a good half-hour (it was 11.00am) , whilst they stocked the shelves; presume they only had a skeleton staff, so had to close.

Hoping everyone has a good day and here's a thanks to all not feeling well; and hope whywhywhy is feeling a little more upbeat today. Take care.

Lins1066 Sun 29-Mar-20 08:22:40

Good Morning Mick and all. A bright, cold and breezy start here on S Welsh coast. Noticed that the Coastguard helicopter seemed to be flying around yesterday far more than usual.
Went for a quick walk yesterday afternoon with DD, encountered a group of teenagers coming towards us, so we hastily crossed the road. It unsettled me a lot.
Happy Anniversary to * Mr and Mrs oldgoat*.
Roast chicken later and may make a curry with the leftovers, though to be honest I don't have much appetite.
Glad you are better Scentia.
Hope we all have a safe and a wobble free Sunday, not easy though. ??

EllanVannin Sun 29-Mar-20 08:33:05

Good Morning All x.
Bright but rather cold. I was still awake as normal so that hour didn't make any difference. The cats wanted to go out as usual.

Watched an old film last night with Richard Harris starring. It wasn't particularly nice but I couldn't stop watching it just to see what the ending was going to be, although inevitable I came to the conclusion that he was probably a nasty blighter in real life to have played the part.

This " stay at home " message isn't getting through to many hapless parents whose children are causing mayhem. Just reading the local paper about some disgusting youths coughing at hospital staff, hanging around in gangs and generally being obnoxious. Police are now going to prosecute and issue penalties to the parents. I know what I'd do !!

I don't expect I'll be doing much today apart from cooking my dinner, the last two M&S lamb chops, soaked peas and remainder of Majorcan new pots----it'll fill a hole grin

What to do when my groceries run out I don't quite know. It'll be 4 weeks on Wed. since I shopped and although the corner shops are handy for bits and pieces they're not the same when getting a months worth of groceries all at once.
Whatever happens I won't starve, I'll just have to get used to empty spaces in the freezer and part of the cupboard.

I hope this morning finds everyone staying well and Scentia hope the sore throat/cough hasn't amounted to anything.
Thought of Marydoll earlier when there were couples being interviewed about their cancelled wedding days, aww so sad.

Stay safe and well everyone-----and warm too, Brrrr. xx

Urmstongran Sun 29-Mar-20 08:33:11

Good morning everyone from Malaga where it’s a beautiful sunny start to the day. Beds stripped and in the wash. Just enjoying my second cuppa on Day 15 of our 29 day lockdown.

Steak and onions will be going in the slow cooker later. I found some Bisto gravy granules at the back of the cupboard just now with a date of 2015 on. Whether or not to use them as I’ve no cornflour to thicken? I’m going to risk it for a biscuit.

Happy anniversary to the oldgoats! ???

Hope this first day f British Summer Time is a happy one for us all. Keep safe everyone. x

Urmstongran Sun 29-Mar-20 08:36:33

I’ll ask EV ‘what do you think - oh wise woman of good dinners?’ Morning EV!
?

oldgoat Sun 29-Mar-20 08:42:38

Thank everyone for the anniversary good wishes and a special thank you to Marydoll from Roger.
X

12Michael Sun 29-Mar-20 08:44:04

I suppose semi isolate means I do go out maybe a small walk, or shop, then return home and stay put.
Mick
PS: On a mental note also staying in contact with things like Gransnet

GrannyGravy13 Sun 29-Mar-20 08:44:05

Happy Anniversary oldgoats ???

Grandmafrench Sun 29-Mar-20 08:44:42

A very good morning all. Happy Anniversary oldgoat, and scentia so glad you’re feeling better. But seriously stay off ladders, please.

I’m looking forward to the garden, in 19 degrees here later and I have a good book. All calm here after I’ve had a very frightening 24 hours. Fractured a rib whilst overreaching against a wooden chair arm. Very painful but under control. Two days later I perched on the edge of the couch and slumped sideways without thinking. Pain so acute couldn’t move, couldn’t get up, couldn’t breathe. Ultimately DH got me onto upright chair. Never take pills but persuaded to take paracetamol. Half an hour later comfortable enough to stand and iron 3 shirts. Suddenly couldn’t lift both arms, peripheral vision went black, managed to walk into bedroom, couldn’t speak for fainting and nausea. Head down on bed, I soaked a pillow, the coverlet, all my clothing with sweat. I was wet through, shaking with cold and shock, and my DH - truly frightened - wanted to call the Emergency services. I actually thought I might die but pleaded not to go to hospital ..... that’s how scared I am of the virus. DH looked at the paracetamol boxes we have. He’d carefully used an open box of paracetamol, it was similar to others in our cabinet BUT paracetamol with Codeine. I’d had a bad reaction to Codeine once before in my life but nothing like that. Hours being sick followed and nausea into the night. Next day still some nausea and a bad stomach. So relieved to be sitting up now feeling normal again and looking forward to today, lockdown or not.

Yesterday, I decided that I couldn’t read any news. Pointless, frightening and there’s nothing I can do. I want some human interaction and to share (again) in the lives of others, so until we are all set free again I’m going to pray that everyone stays well, stays positive and looks forward. As an earlier poster said, we’ve never done this before. But I know we can do this. Happy Sunday! ?

Auntieflo Sun 29-Mar-20 08:46:42

Good morning Michael, Annie and all, from a sunny but chilly Berks.
When we get out of bed, we will be having bacon baps for breakfast. I made the baps yesterday, and felt quite chuffed with myself. Next time, I will do as Marydoll is going to do, and leave them to rise overnight.
Happy Anniversary Old Goat, flowers
Well done to Elizabeth1, on your recovery journey.
Our DD emailed yesterday and said that she had had a 75 minute wait in a queue at the chemist. I just hope she didn't get back ache, or worse.
We will listen to our Church service later. Last week I really enjoyed it, and will light a candle again, at 8 pm.
Spoke to DS2 last night with Face Time or something , and we managed to have a decent conversation without DGS taking over. He was too busy eating an ice lolly!
Well, I have taken my weekly tablet, and drunk my first cup of tea, so now it's time to face the day, whatever it brings.
Thinking of Gillybob, and all those with much bigger challenges than mine.
Have a good day one and all. Take care and stay safe.

Brunette10 Sun 29-Mar-20 08:48:18

Good Morning from Fife. It's a quiet day out in every respect. No wind or rain just quite peaceful. Washing on, no cooking or baking today, will have a rest but goodness knows what I shall do. Thank goodness it's nice will have a wander around the garden. Happy Anniversary Oldgoat - hope you both have a nice day. Nice to hear from you Elizabeth 1 hope everything is progressing for you. Thinking of everyone with anxieties and troubles more than we normally have. Take care everyone

Anniebach Sun 29-Mar-20 08:58:35

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

kittylester Sun 29-Mar-20 08:59:15

Morning all from a cold and cloudy North Leicestershre.

I did a Tesco click and collect at 3.30 or maybe 4.30am confused to be collected on 18th April - but at least we have one!

We had a lovely day yesterday having decided to watch Line of Duty from the beginning - still not sure I understand it but it was a brilliant distraction.

We had various video calls from most of the dgc as we had ordered sweets to be delivered to them.

It was also DGD4's 7th birthday. As she blew her candles out she wished for the virus to go away so she could have a proper party! sad

Hoping everyone stays safe and has the best day possible.

EllanVannin Sun 29-Mar-20 08:59:50

Morning Urmstongran, x should be alright since conditions are warm and it'll be well heated and cooked. No flour ?
Me ? I wing everything in the bin grin Although I have been known to use Oxo cubes that have shrunk with age.

It couldn't be done in Australia though as it would have had weevils and things in it and would have moved itself to the bin.grin

Hope things are okay and the weather is kind. It'll be warming up nicely now. After this lot we'll probably have the hottest summer imaginable.

Susan56 Sun 29-Mar-20 09:05:30

Good morning from the Shropshire borders where it’s another bright and breezy start.
Our youngest grandson was 6 months old yesterday so DD did a little party for the four of them,dressed H in the outfit he was going to wear for his Christening as it won’t fit him by the time they can rebook the Christening and they had a little party,cake and all.DGD absolutely loved it and we have had some lovely photos.
Scentia,glad you are feeling better and Grandmafrench what an awful thing to happen.Hope you are feeling better today.
Happy anniversary to the old goats???
Mick,I would think if the directive not to use the communal lounge has not come from management then so long as you obey the social distancing rules it would be nice for you to sit in a larger space for a couple of hours.
Like others I am limiting the amount of news I watch,just watching the daily government update.
Have the best day you can everyone.

EllanVannin Sun 29-Mar-20 09:07:34

What a fright you must have had Grandmafrench. You could do with getting an EpiPen just in case, although you can get the same side-effects from the treatment as the problem itself.
Hope everything's settled down for you. x

dragonfly46 Sun 29-Mar-20 09:08:06

Good morning from a cold but bright Leicestershire.

Happy Anniversary oldgoat.

Pleased your cough is better Scentia. I have had a cough for a couple of weeks but I get it every year when the grass starts to grow.

Good news yesterday as my DS thought his contact would be terminated at the end of the month but they have told him they will keep him on.

Not much planned although will ring another friend today. I am catching up with them all. My friends in Holland have been told not to clear out their houses as the rubbish department will not be able to cope!

Greyduster Sun 29-Mar-20 09:09:16

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a cold, grey South Yorkshire (the sun was shining when I woke up!). We had a day indoors yesterday - not even the permitted short walk, but plenty to keep us busy. Today? I will bake cupcakes and coconut tarts for a sweet treat and we will treat ourselves to a bit of a roast dinner.
Oldgoat congratulations on your anniversary!??. Please keep the snow up there in York?!
Have the best day you can folks.?

Ginny42 Sun 29-Mar-20 09:13:35

Good morning Mick and everyone on a sunny Cheshire morning. The moon and Venus looked stunning again last night, possibly a result of reduced pollution levels?

Well, I'm not going to dampen the spirit of Mick's lovely thread, but I set the alarm for 2.00 to hopefully place a food order never having done it before.. A hour later, having trawled through the site I found no delivery date till May. Tried another- only if on the Gov vulnerable list - no I'm not (happily) I'm just an old devil. Enough of that. I'll just have to go out at some stage.

I'm off for a walk in the woods. Got to exercise. I watched many episodes of 'Virgin River' on Netflix and today want to know what happens next. Got to get my head round video conferencing. Going to bake soda bread and scones. That's my day.

Scentia no more climbing ladders please! Windows can wait. Happy anniversary to the Oldgoats, enjoy your day.

Stay focused on the horizon when this horrible episode will be over. flowers for everyone.

Grandmafrench Sun 29-Mar-20 09:14:51

Thanks for your kind wishes, Susan56, I’ve recovered! Great idea your DD’s “Christening” party. We need all the excuses now to share some good times. Just wait until this is all over! ?

Grandmafrench Sun 29-Mar-20 09:22:39

Thank you so much EV - scary didn’t come close. Epipen’s a sensible thought. I do have a store of anti-histamines and I was tempted. Have yourself a good day and stay safe.

Pittcity Sun 29-Mar-20 09:23:00

Good morning from Colchester where rain and hail is falling. Apart from a roast beef dinner we have no plans today.
We have made a menu for the next few days using stuff we have. We are down to our last pint of milk, so it will be black coffee and lemon tea as I need some for cereal and Yorkshire pudding.
May have to brave the shop, but would prefer not to.

Pittcity Sun 29-Mar-20 09:24:03

Happy Anniversary to the oldgoats ?