Gransnet forums

Chat

If I weren't here.....

(120 Posts)
trisher Sun 29-Mar-20 11:36:04

Here's a thread to take you out of your house or whereever you are socially distancing yourself. You need to imagine where you would be if you were free, as much detail as posssible helps. In our imagination we can go wherever we like.
So if I weren't here I would be in Tavira in Portugal. I have just left my hotel (the unaffordable ex-convent) and I am walking down to the main square where I will sit and order a coffee, possibly with a Portugese custard tart. After my coffee I will take the little train out to the ferry and take the ferry over to Tavira Island where I will walk on the empty beach and swim in the blue sea.
There now where are you?

Willow500 Tue 31-Mar-20 14:59:51

Nowhere exotic for me. I'd be having breakfast in a hotel in Derby planning the timings of the bands I was going to see that day at the music festival. Sun would already be high in the sky and there would be no wind or rain forecast so I wouldn't need to take waterproofs or wellies and would be able to just lie on the grass just listening to the music.

trisher Tue 31-Mar-20 09:53:56

Thanks for all of these posts, some places I have been it was lovely to remember, others I have never been and they have joined a long list of places I would like to go. They've all given me a bit of a break from my house. Hope it has helped others.

GabriellaG54 Mon 30-Mar-20 23:07:21

I too love the IoM and worked there in Douglas for 17 months, flying back to mainland every month for a couple of days.
I just loved it as I got to drive the bosses RR every day. Weather was fantastic and we had an indoor pool...
Also enjoyed holidays in Jersey at the Apollo Hotel and the Pomme d'Or and went on day trip from there on daughter's birthday to St Malo and Dinan.

Flygirl Mon 30-Mar-20 22:34:01

I would be in my happy place, Parga in Greece. I would be lunching at the Atrium Bar set on a secluded rock, looking down on the truly aqua coloured bay. In the evening I would be having a pre dinner drink, high above Valtos Beach looking out to sea, deciding which taverna to have dinner in......and watching the salmon pink of the sunset hit the Venetian castle, high on the headland. Bliss.
Sadly this was to be our annual visit in June....alas it seems it may not be happening.

Daisyboots Mon 30-Mar-20 22:10:27

Thanks for starting this thread Trisher. I too have enjoyed visiting Tavira when staying with a dear friend who has a house in the Algarve. Or get in the car and drive over the bridge that connects Portugal with Spain to visit Ayamonte for a delicious tapas lunch
mrswoo I was in the Algarve last November and had a lovely seafood lunch overlooking the beach at Olhos de Agua. At the same time there was a ceremony to celebrate the new vintage of wine. Much like they celebrate the new Beaujolais in France.
Much as I like to visit the Algarve for a break I am lucky to live on the Silver Coast in the real Portugal which is very different compared to the Algarve.
So lucky to be able to enjoy a pastel de nata and all the other delicious Portuguese cakes any time usually although more difficult at the moment. Hopefully later in the year you will be able to visit again.
Its lovely to read everyone's favourite places and wonder if I shall ever be able to visit anywhere abroad again due to my health problems.

Fairyfeet Mon 30-Mar-20 21:58:02

In reality if this hadn’t happened I would be making my way to Japan to experience the sights and the gardens and see the Cherry blossom. I will get there one day, but my dream at the moment would be to walk on the beach near Formby with my son and his wife and my daughter, her husband and my granddaughters. We would visit the Red Squirrel sanctuary, have a picnic in the sand hills and then go to see the Gormley statues emerge from the waves. All simple things, but I would be with the people I love most in the world. We would see the sun set on the Irish Sea and life would be back to normal.

Peardrop50 Mon 30-Mar-20 18:51:03

If I weren't here I'd be having breakfast in a little beachside café on the beautiful Isle of Anglesey before flying off for lunch in the Café Moderne in Villereal where we'd catch up with lots of old friends from our time there and then I'd arrive in Vatukoula with my whole family to show them the paradise in which I grew up. I'd find Asalika, our Fijian 'housegirl' who was like a mother to me and I'd cuddle her and say thanks for being a beautiful person.

Glambat Mon 30-Mar-20 17:59:15

If I weren’t here....I’d time travel to a time before my husband died & we had the most amazing holiday to Australia....one of our favourite places being a fabulous bar / restaurant overlooking the ocean in Port Douglas.....Happy Times....?

crazyH Mon 30-Mar-20 17:37:17

Sitting on the beach, at the end of the road, on which stood the house in which I was born. I'd be with my friends, the boys would have their guitars and we'd be singing until our mothers came looking for us. Many a teenage romance started there and one or two are happily married now with families . Great days!!!

4allweknow Mon 30-Mar-20 17:27:12

I would be in a yacht quite small one, moored up in a small harbour outside a taverna on one of the Greek Islands I sailed to a few years ago. In the late evening after a meal at the taverna I would be lying below looking up at the dark sky watching the stars twinkling until I was gently lapped to sleep by the ocean. Back to reality, off to start dinner.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 30-Mar-20 17:18:32

I would be strolling once again with the love of my life. his arm around me.on a deserted St Ouen's beach like we did forty years ago. There would not be another soul in sight just as it was then.

Gill61 Mon 30-Mar-20 16:49:40

wine Having a glass of wine on the coogee to bondi beach walk with my daughter who’s in Australia

Foxglove77 Mon 30-Mar-20 16:36:29

I would be back in Sri Lanka walking along the sandy beaches collecting beautiful shells. Then I would take my camera to the tank (reservoir) and catch the beautiful birds. In the evening when the huge bats fly in large numbers I would watch all the elephants at the waterholes along with the flamingoes.

boheminan Mon 30-Mar-20 16:31:14

Thank you for the link Notthecatsmother - beautiful, so tranquil. We live in such a beautiful country....sunshine

Llamedos13 Mon 30-Mar-20 16:21:10

I’d be sitting on the beach in Barbados where we were booked to go too a week ago but sadly had to cancel. The booking is on hold until November so for now I shall dream and pray we can return by then.

NanaJackie Mon 30-Mar-20 15:55:24

If this hadn’t happened I would be in Cornwall at my daughters house with my two grandsons snuggled up to me with their cheeky little smiles , naughty antics and their little boy smell that I adore would be all around me.

Herbie9 Mon 30-Mar-20 15:53:36

I'd go to Ludlow in Shropshire. A lovely historic market town with old castle and beautiful surrounding countryside . We stayed in the Angel Hotel on our honeymoon, two days before Christmas in 1963. Have been back a few times and the old black & White Angel Hotel is still there but sadly not as a hotel now. There is always the lovely Feathers Hotel for an indulgent afternoon tea, Happy days.

Notthecatsmother Mon 30-Mar-20 15:29:52

vimeo.com/channels/ambientvideoart/ Bohemian you might find this link interesting

glammagran Mon 30-Mar-20 15:22:05

busyb I was in Sorrento for a family wedding in 2016. I had no idea there were rum babas to eat. I love these but sadly never see them for sale anymore.

Rosina Mon 30-Mar-20 15:18:20

I would be at Holkham beach, walking along the flawless sand, watching the grasses blowing and listening to the sound of the sea. My children and grandchildren would be paddling and running around ahead, and I would be accompanied by my old dog, plodding along at my side as she has done for some fourteen years. OH would be sitting among the dunes reading and watching the birds - this is my idea of heaven, and I am now aching for this to happen. Please God we all get through and will be together again.

EllanVannin Mon 30-Mar-20 15:09:29

Hi DanniRae, yes Port Erin was where my friend and I stayed one time on the island, in a hotel right on the front overlooking the sea. We went to the little café a lot because of their gorgeous food.
I know the IOM like the back of my hand, the same as I'm familiar with Jersey as well where I've often been over the years.

My relatives were Manx as was my mum, so visited relatives a lot before they recently passed away, one last year and the other the year before.

baubles Mon 30-Mar-20 15:02:14

Lovely thread.

YouTube has lots of walking tours around various places. DH and I were just reminiscing whilst watching this one.

youtu.be/R-T0lDmeIA4

Susieq62 Mon 30-Mar-20 14:55:11

I would be in Amble, Northumberland with other half and my daughter staying in the house we try to rent every year. We would be watching the sea crash against the jetty and getting ready to go the Drift Cafe at Druridge Bay for brunch followed by a brisk walk along the beach.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 30-Mar-20 14:41:07

I'd love your bluebell wood, I'll bring blankets to sprawl out on. The Baileys sounds most welcome too - think I'll add it to the shopping list.

Kim19 Mon 30-Mar-20 14:32:21

I would be wandering by the side of a beautiful cascading waterfall in Scotland in glorious company. We were badly smitten and I was trying to fight it. He wasn't prepared to. Happily he (we both) won in the end. Bliss indeed.