Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday

(105 Posts)
12Michael Tue 31-Mar-20 06:15:11

Good Morning Everyone,
Its twilight here in Brackley looks like its been wet at some point.
Yet another day of self isolate , this morning looking at essentials I need to get to last me in the toiletries area.
I like using Brut as anti persistent , but i am using some other stuff I have as I am not going off on buses .
maybe play CD`s watch TV , cycling sport wise check to see what repeat is being shown.
Mick

Marydoll Tue 31-Mar-20 20:58:09

Scentia, I set my new grill on fire! I didn't realise how hot it was, compared to my last cooker. It also had a fan, which made it worse. Be very careful or toast the coconut in the oven. It's very flammable.??‍???‍???‍???‍?

Scentia Tue 31-Mar-20 20:51:54

Oooh marydoll they’re vegan. I am going to make them tomorrow?

Marydoll Tue 31-Mar-20 20:44:06

Feelingmyage

To make macaroon bars (makes 18-20):
• 1 large potato (100g after boiling)
• 400-500g icing sugar
• 2-3 drops vanilla extract
• 300g dark chocolate
• 100g dessicated coconut

Boil the potato until soft. Drain, measure out 100g, then mash until there are no lumps, and leave until cold.
Put the cold mashed potato, vanilla extract and 100g of icing sugar in a bowl. Mix well – the potato might seem very dry, but it will change into a very thick, sticky paste. Keep adding the icing sugar, 100g at a time, mixing well after each addition, until you have a stiff white fondant.
Line a tray with greaseproof paper, put the fondant in the tray, and press flat. Cover with cling film and leave in the freezer for an hour.
In the meantime, toast the coconut in the oven – spread thinly on a large baking sheet and cook in the oven at 150°C (300°F) for around 5 minutes until the coconut is just golden. Watch it carefully – it can burn very easily. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Remove the fondant from the freezer. Cut into bars (mine were finger length and just wider than finger width).
Melt the chocolate in a bowl above a pan of barely simmering water. Once the chocolate is melted and smooth, dip each piece of the sugar paste into the chocolate, then roll in the coconut. Transfer to a sheet of greasproof paper and allow to set.

Feelingmyage55 Tue 31-Mar-20 20:21:03

auntieflo. Look for puff candy.
marydoll. Now I do have icing sugar so chocolate coated macaroon bars next. Off to look for a recipe.

Megs36 Tue 31-Mar-20 19:02:08

We had the letter and text last week, not been out anyway since my husband was sent to hospital, he still has to take great care so we’ll follow the RULES, STAY IN.

Auntieflo Tue 31-Mar-20 17:23:13

Marydoll, what a b*******tion!
Please don't go stir crazy, with or without the tablet.

This talk of home made sweeties reminded me that in mum's old book,
Newnes Everything Within, there was a lovely recipe for honeycomb toffee.
Just like the inside of a Crunchie bar.
I may have to go and see if I can find it.

Marydoll Tue 31-Mar-20 17:17:30

Grammaretto, reading the criteria, I think you may still get one.

Grammaretto Tue 31-Mar-20 17:04:23

Marydoll comiserations. We haven't had the letter but are self isolating to keep everyone as safe as possible. and we don't want to die in one of those field hospitals
Take each day as it comes.

There could be a test available soon to show if you have immunity.

Sark Tue 31-Mar-20 15:54:42

Really late today but good afternoon everyone
Had no idea what tablet was but looks and sounds delicious Marydoll!
Hello SusieB50 so sorry for your loss flowers
I have just been for my 'Boris' walk and saw a man literally running round in circlesconfused

Harris27 Tue 31-Mar-20 15:23:13

God afternoon as I’ve missed morning. Can’t get my head around any routine still think of what I’d be doing at work at this time! Hubby isolating doing decorating the bedroom not a one for sitting too long. Son working from home as well holed up in spare room so having to be quiet. I’ve made a quiche quick tidy then some tv for me. Keep well all.

dragonfly46 Tue 31-Mar-20 15:19:51

I am thinking the dentists will do a good trade when this is over ?

Marydoll Tue 31-Mar-20 15:13:13

I have just had my NHS letter and have to self isolate for twelve weeks, starting from 29th March. Oh B*****! I have been stuck in for nearly six weeks already.?
There's going to be an awful lot of tablet getting made! I might make macaroon bars next time.
I have so much icing sugar, which I bought to ice the non wedding cake!

Marydoll Tue 31-Mar-20 15:04:53

Llamedos13 , tablet is a sweet Scottish confection made with condensed milk, sugar, butter anda dash of vanilla extract.

It is very highly calorific and very addictive, but oh so delicious!

I was swapping a bottle of wine, (I cannot drink) for al oaf and milk from my neighbour.
She has just stated that she has finished all the tablet I left on her doorstep last night! grin

Llamedos13 Tue 31-Mar-20 14:32:48

What is this tablet Marydoll?

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 31-Mar-20 14:26:43

Good afternoon folk.
After a disasterous shop delivered from Asda, I decided I had no option but to go to the local co-op. I was queuing outside (6ft apart) the lady behind me was almost on top of me, when I asked her to move further away, she told me to b****r off!! I thought to myself, thats what she is supposed to do!!

Kalu Tue 31-Mar-20 14:14:33

Urmston and every day was Groundhog Day ??

Grandmafrench Tue 31-Mar-20 14:05:06

That's so funny Urmston - seems like the first 7,000 are the worst. Keep calm and chilled and SAFE, and keep counting, eh?

ann678tifney Tue 31-Mar-20 13:58:40

Sorry its afternoon everyone, but only working afternoons at the minute. Marydoll wish I lived near you I also love Tablet, was brought up on it. I was born in Glasgow, and spent the first 15 years in Lanarkshire, and all the family know if they go to Scotland what they have to bring me back lol Sorry your not further forward with grants etc, Gillybob it is a very worrying time for all small business and self employed people. I have spent more time on the phone at work this past week talking to clients, than actually doing any work. Just hoping they speed up the process of getting grants etc out to everyone who needs them. Hope everyone else is keeping well.

Urmstongran Tue 31-Mar-20 13:53:43

When I said upthread that March seemed to have dragged on forever, this made me laugh ...

moggie57 Tue 31-Mar-20 13:44:26

not a good morning .neighbours down stairs flat still slamming doors at 2am in the morning .i dont get back to sleep for at least 2 hours ,have asked them not to do it.totally ignored .so now i written to the council for anti social behaviour ,bit extreme but its affecting my health.......at least my neighbours been shopping for me.and collecting a prescription today .got my family history to sort out.been out to get a newspaper and some biscuits(without the dreaded palm oil in .) why would anyone want coconut oil in everything .me am allergic to coconut.......finishing up the sandwiches i got cheap and some soup and poatoes. for lunch....less food doing my liver some good .,its not hurting so much. just toothache now...

Urmstongran Tue 31-Mar-20 13:40:14

Which is what the police were doing here yesterday Scentia. 4 police from two Policia Local cars, put cones out and stopped all (not many but still) traffic. Asked questions, papers were shown - they are taking it VERY seriously here. Needs must I suppose.

Scentia Tue 31-Mar-20 12:18:47

Cambia
They are strict aren’t they, people in the UK are moaning because the police are stopping them driving 150 miles to take a walk!!! They wouldn’t like to be checked on a walk around their town would they??

Cambia Tue 31-Mar-20 12:11:24

Good morning from a very rainy Crete. Couldn’t go for an early morning walk as it was tippling down, so did a seven minute Tai Chi (love this app) and then tried Joe Wicks High Intensity Workout for absolute beginners.......thought I was fit until I did this!

The sun is now emerging so will risk a quick half hour walk round the village. Got stopped yesterday and papers checked by the police (they are very strict here), so will stick to the olive groves and goat paths today!

EllanVannin Tue 31-Mar-20 12:04:34

Sadly there'll be many businesses going to the wall and not a strike in sight !
Walking past the closed post office this morning I couldn't help seeing that the ATM wasn't working either, so anyone relying on both would be feeling the pinch, I don't know how they'd get on.

No wonder there's an increase of theft everywhere. This brings out the criminally-minded in full swing. Along with the poor souls trying to feed families. The depth of this situation isn't fully known !!

CaroleAnne Tue 31-Mar-20 12:03:23

Welcome to Gransnet SusieB50. I am so sorry to hear that you lost your DH three months ago. The isolation must be difficult for you. However you sound upbeat and cheerful. Your neighbours sound a good lot.
Thinking about you Carolexflowers