Chat

The goats of Llandudno!

(46 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 31-Mar-20 16:09:10

I wonder where they usually live?

They must be confused smile

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52103967

Rosina Wed 01-Apr-20 13:48:23

Some people have had up to twelve goats in their gardens - that must be tricky if you want to do some gardening...but then perhaps there wouldn't be much left to trim!
Some years ago there was an article about 'yobs' in an area of American coast; they were damaging boats, frightening the owners, climbing about on board and causing all sorts of mess and vandalism - they were sea lions. 'Protected species evidently, and the boat owners were advised, as a method of repelling them, to 'thow a cup of water in their faces'. I bet that worked!

sallysmum Wed 01-Apr-20 14:22:10

A few years ago my son in law saw a goat in very poor condition tethered under a caravan, no foo or watercould not even stand up. Late tht night my daughter and son in law took bolt cutters and rescued the goat? Poor thing was in aterrible state. They took it to avet and told him what they had done. They kept the got and the vet treated it and never charged for all the work he did for it. He became a family pet and everyone loved him, he was the sweetest natured animal nd just wanted to be loved. I have often thought what the original owner thought when they found there goat was missing.

Bluecat Wed 01-Apr-20 15:23:02

I wonder if anyone is feeding the ducks?

I know the advice, ages ago, was to stop feeding them bread which isn't very nutritious. Then there was evidence that they were starving as a result. I suppose people are still going to parks to exercise but surely the numbers must be down.

glammagran Wed 01-Apr-20 15:41:19

After being told not to feed bread to our local ducks people started giving them grain. Following another message saying bread was ok in small quantities we took some down on a rare day when it wasn’t raining hard with DGD. The ducks rushed over but when they saw we only had bread they waddled off quacking in disgust.

Chestnut Wed 01-Apr-20 15:56:40

That's a lovely story Sallysmum and so good to hear the goat had a happy life after such a miserable one. I just don't understand how people can be so heartless. How can they look at an animal in their care suffering and not do something?

grannypiper Wed 01-Apr-20 16:16:19

I am sure i am the only person on here that does care if the Seagulls starve, they are a bloody nuisance.

AGAA4 Wed 01-Apr-20 16:27:32

Goats will eat anything. My brother's goats ate their way through a line of washing

annodomini Wed 01-Apr-20 16:55:06

The Welsh Guards have a billy goat as a mascot - presumably not the same one, year in year out. I wonder if it's the same kind as the Llandudno goats.

Riverwalk Wed 01-Apr-20 16:59:36

I'm just thinking of all their lovely cashmere wool, taken from the throat area I've heard .... hmm

Notagranny44 Wed 01-Apr-20 17:03:25

annodomini The Welsh Guard's goat IS a Great Orme goat - it's not too long since their old one retired and the Guards came for a new one! I think they had a special parade through the town when he was recruited!

Grannyguitar Wed 01-Apr-20 18:22:07

The Nanny State has finally arrived!

Iam64 Wed 01-Apr-20 18:55:52

Love that one Grannyguitar

CherryCezzy Wed 01-Apr-20 20:55:04

I think they did Notagranny or something like that anyway. I remember seeing it on the news. The goats are indeed beautiful. Animals do things sometimes that seem quite peculiar. A park a bit away from where we live has a lot of geese. Sometimes the traffic has to stop whilst they cross the road to the bay (or back to the park) as they slowly waddle single file across. On occasion we get visited by local sheep who have meandered their way from the common. They seem to be particularly interested in a local school.
Loving that Granny guitar

Shizam Wed 01-Apr-20 21:06:47

Goats are ace. Acrobatic, feisty, inquisitive. Good luck in that town!

GreenGran78 Wed 01-Apr-20 21:24:45

Some years ago our Parish Priest thought that it would be a good idea to use a goat to keep down the weeds in the graveyard. Unfortunately he bought a large Billy goat who ate not only the grass and weeds but the flowers that people had placed on the graves. He was also very aggressive, and his head used to go down threateningly if anyone went near.

Sadly he had to go back from whence he came!

I love visiting Llandudno, though walking up the Orme is getting a bit too much for me. The goats will all head back home when the tourists return. I hope that the locals still have some plants left in their gardens by then!

bikergran Thu 02-Apr-20 09:09:05

My Favourite place LLandudno....really do hope I get to visit again this year, hopefully with my mum n dad.

I feel like I'm at home there, even though I live in Lancashire Wales feels like my comfort zone.I love it.

Chewbacca Thu 02-Apr-20 09:34:45

Llandudno ticks all the boxes doesn't it bikergran? Beautifully maintained from the Victorian times; all roads set out on a rigid grid system and so easy to navigate, wide clean beaches, loads of places of interest in the town and within a couple of miles radius and there always seems to be an event taking place most weekends. It's got a fascinating history regarding the Mostyn family, who own most of the properties in the sea front, and who dictate what can be done with those properties, including a set palette of colours that they allow the buildings to be painted. Unlike many other Welsh seaside towns, it's not become semi derelict or lost sight of its history.

annodomini Thu 02-Apr-20 10:42:40

Thanks, Notagranny44. I thought it might be a Great Orme goat. Very distinguished animals.

bikergran Thu 02-Apr-20 14:54:16

Oh yes [Chewbacca] We all managed to get there last year all the family, my mum had been quite poorly and still is, but somehow we all managed to get there (my mum had no idea she thought is wa sjum myself her and dad)

We arranged that the rest 7 of them would sit on one of the forms along the prom and I would wheel mum along prom in wheelchair ) got to a point where she said ohh that looks like ? and ? and ? lol ohh it was great she was so chuffed.

I don't know what it is about Llandudno, even when its packed there is loads of room on the wonderful prom, I could walk for ever on there with the waves rolling in.The warm summer evenings when sunset is about to take place, you could be anywhere, as the prom is strewn with big yukkas resembling palm trees and all the little lights hanging. Ahhhhhhhhhhh... smile

H1954 Thu 02-Apr-20 14:58:39

I wouldn't want to antagonise them, they can pack a punch when they butt and could do serious damage with those horns! Imagine the mess they could make of a cars bodywork!