Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you doing all you can...

(59 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:15:54

...to shore up your finances and trim any excess spending?
You might say...'Well, I'm in all day so a fat chance of spending more than usual', however, it's easy to overlook the fact that you are using more electricity, gas and water despite the offsetting of commuter costs. Do you regularly look for better energy or finance deals?

AGAA4 Wed 01-Apr-20 15:36:13

Just switched electricity provider saving a good amount each month but had my council tax bill which has seen off any benefit from the switch

I am cooking a lot more, which is saving money.

FlexibleFriend Wed 01-Apr-20 15:46:43

I'm spending about the same as usual but anything else is currently topping up my sons income while he is off sick.

Callistemon Wed 01-Apr-20 15:52:09

No, it's swings and roundabouts, what we save on going out we may spend more on something else.
We may have to help out one DC, hoping the others are fine.

SueDonim Wed 01-Apr-20 16:16:38

I’ve mostly sworn off baking since my Dh retired and there are only two of us to eat it, Gagajo. grin It’s just for when family are visiting now.

My friend is on her own and she’s been baking, then dividing cakes into portions and freezing them so she can’t gobble it all at once.

Pittcity Wed 01-Apr-20 16:53:09

We are actually better off with extra income and bonuses that DH and DS are earning as key workers and refunds from cancelled events.

JenniferEccles Wed 01-Apr-20 17:10:16

Speaking of food and cooking I am certainly getting an education on these threads.

Who on earth knew there was a food called tablet?

We have all heard of Egyptian tablets, tablets/pills and iPads/tablets but now I learn there is a very sweet, highly calorific Scottish delicacy called tablet!

It does sound marginally less calorific than fried Mars Bars though which I have heard of ?!!

SueDonim Wed 01-Apr-20 17:16:23

Tablet is one of the best things about Scotland! I shudder to think of how much badness is hidden within its deliciousness but the saving grace is that it’s so rich that most (not all!) people can only eat one or two pieces. grin

JenniferEccles Wed 01-Apr-20 17:24:17

Ah but how large are the pieces?
Do they vary or is there a standard size?!

Peardrop50 Wed 01-Apr-20 17:30:02

Yes GabriellaG54, I am married to Martin Lewis Mark II. So utility bills always at best rate. We tend to be home bods anyway so usage of said utilities pretty much as usual. Bit of a hike in the rates this month but well offset by lack of petrol consumption. Also saving on meals out, day trips, entertaining friends and family, impulse buying, and much more so we are better off financially and well placed to help our adult children if required. We certainly are among the lucky ones.

Esther1 Wed 01-Apr-20 17:33:47

Our income has gone to zilch. We’re living off savings and then anything the government will be able to give us. We’re not spending on going out/treats for gc s, petrol, impulse buys though. Just pray we get through this health wise.

GabriellaG54 Wed 01-Apr-20 19:04:33

One could not seriously call tablet a 'food, more a tooth-rotting variation of grainy fudge.

GabriellaG54 Wed 01-Apr-20 19:05:52

Sorry...wrong thread ??

GabriellaG54 Wed 01-Apr-20 19:06:44

Nope...wrong again. I wonder how tablet got into it?

JenniferEccles Wed 01-Apr-20 19:18:56

Sorry Gabriella it was me who deviated.
There was talk of food and cooking and it reminded me of the Scottish tablet which had been discussed elsewhere. I was mystified until someone posted a picture of a kind of fudge -like concoction.

Yes tooth rotting does spring to mind, but then I am more of a savoury food person so it wouldn’t appeal to me at all.

GabriellaG54 Wed 01-Apr-20 19:26:53

I found a small company called Utility Point who have low overheads. My gas is 11.55ppd and 2.95ppu.
Elec is on a low business rate fixed for 5 years. Water? Thames Water are a disgrace but you can't change supplier, more's the pity. Their computers spew out ridiculous bills.
I do change every year including insurance and banks. Still getting 5% with Halifax but it ends at end of Sept.
3% with Virgin until Oct.
How things change.
Even private banks are giving fewer perks.
Locally, we all put £1 (limit) into a 'kitty' to help out a family in dire need and quietly raised £824 in 2 days from people in the immediate area, not businesses or GoFundMe or anything like that.
Some people can't wait for government money to kick in, as evinced elsewhere in GN. A very sad state of affairs. sad

Gingster Wed 01-Apr-20 19:27:59

Went shopping today as stocks were getting a bit low. Only for my DH and me and we’re both retired. We didn’t buy any fresh meat (there wasn’t any) , no alcohol, just the basics really and it came to £86. Checked the bill and it’s correct. We aren’t going to shop now for two weeks.

GabriellaG54 Wed 01-Apr-20 19:30:22

JenniferEccles
?
No, it was my fault for not checking all the posts. No matter...yes, I much prefer savoury too but the occasional piece of Devon fudge can tempt me. ?

Greymar Wed 01-Apr-20 19:39:51

Some people can't wait for government money to kick in

Do you have any examples please?

SueDonim Wed 01-Apr-20 19:44:13

That’s kind re the kitty for a family, GabriellaG54. It will be a relief for them, I’m sure. It’s very hard times for some. sad

JenniferEccles tablet usually comes in a 100g slab with score lines on, probably about 2cm x 2cm. I’ve not bought tablet for myself for years, but it’s something that often gets served with coffee in hotels and restaurants as an alternative to shortbread or chocolate. Whether it’s a food is open to debate! grin

I sent some to a friend who had difficulty eating due to cancer treatment on her throat and it was a godsend in getting calories into her quickly.

Hetty58 Wed 01-Apr-20 19:56:53

I don't see this as a time to trim spending - rather to treat myself. I regularly change utility providers anyway and I haven't noticed any increase in bills.

I'm paying more for shopping as the cheaper options have no delivery slots. I'm spending less (well, nothing) on outings so it probably balances out.

Greymar Wed 01-Apr-20 20:08:56

Is there only one family struggling? How lucky you are.

gillybob Wed 01-Apr-20 20:49:35

Sadly We are at risk of creating an even more divided society .

Marydoll Wed 01-Apr-20 20:57:01

I am the poster who made and posted the picture of the tablet.

I can assure you it is not too difficult to eat more than two squares at a time.
It's a rare treat and not a regular part of the Scottish diet.
However, I made it for my kind neighbours, who love it, as a thank you for doing my shopping and to make up for the fact it was supposed to be served with the coffee at my daughter's cancelled wedding.
After all, it was a shame to let all that hoarded sugar and condensed milk go to waste. wink

BTW, my tablet is certainly not grainy, it is very smooth! grin

Callistemon Wed 01-Apr-20 21:04:28

gillybob I hope there may be a package to help you. You must be very worried

I think most of us have wider families whose circumstances vary greatly. Those of us who are older may have pensions (but for how long?) and be mortgage free but we may have DC who need help because their businesses have had to shut, their job are no longer required, wider family on the front line who are not getting the tests they urgently need and are sick. So I don't think many of us are anxiety-free.
flowers

quizqueen Wed 01-Apr-20 21:22:01

For those with little money - I went to Morrisons after 7pm last night and got 3 reduced ready meals for 13p each and a loaf for 6p which went into the freezer for toast. I've lost my p/t casual job which topped up my state pension by about £250 per month, I'm saving about £50 on petrol now but my utility bills will be higher. I'm going to give my daughter a couple of hundred a month to top up her income.