Gransnet forums

Chat

So what you buying on line? Apart from food and groceries.

(201 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Thu 02-Apr-20 07:02:41

I’d love to get some paint but I can’t think of anything else I need.
Seems that online shopping is booming. Am I missing out??‍♀️

Happysexagenarian Thu 02-Apr-20 16:40:51

Online grocery shopping
Fabrics, haberdashery and craft materials to keep me busy
Books from Amazon
Activity books and kits for the grandchildren

But being careful not to buy from China or the USA

Callistemon Thu 02-Apr-20 16:44:00

Rachand

Why exactly does ordering yarn or seeds etc mean that this constitutes more danger?
I think everyone takes sensible precautions. They are not going to seize the parcel from the delivery driver then lick their fingers are they?

How do you get your food?

Callistemon Thu 02-Apr-20 16:47:16

If we do not help some UK businesses keep going we will head for a great depression rather than the expected recession.

HAZBEEN Thu 02-Apr-20 16:49:55

I ordered a fridge/freezer which was delivered yesterday. Actually it was not for me but my elderly neighbour whose freezer went kaput at the weekend. She lost a lot of stuff. She is registered blind, has a lung condition and other ailments so usually we try to help her. She rang me in tears on Sunday morning so I had to break isolation and go in, everything had defrosted. Managed to save the mince which was cooked up as bolognaise and the fish went to the cat!
I spent all of Sunday afternoon trying to find a freezer online nothing anywhere so we had to go with a fridge/freezer. The delivery duo were great, kept a distance, unpacked it outside so no cardboard and took the old one away. We then cleaned it thoroughly before switching it on and today she has a delivery from Iceland coming.

Callistemon Thu 02-Apr-20 16:51:17

Crazygran so do you think delivery drivers should be laid off then ? I know one who has been and is worried as he has a family and a mortgage. He could, in fact, be delivering other goods than he normally does.

Flounder35 Thu 02-Apr-20 17:12:38

Am buying probably too much!
Paint & ladders
Bedding
Fabric, fabric, fabric
Non slip fabric
Non slip liquid
2 books, cheaper in paperback than on kindle
Birthday cards
Dear god the list goes on ?

Flounder35 Thu 02-Apr-20 17:22:57

Wickes are delivering but not for 3 or so weeks x

BlueSapphire Thu 02-Apr-20 17:34:21

I had an M&S voucher which was near to expiring, so ordered face cream and a pair of skinny jeans in a colour I haven't got.
A DVD from Amazon, but they sent me the wrong one....
A book from Amazon for my DGDs - 101 things for children to do screen-free. Hope they like it.

maddyone Thu 02-Apr-20 17:40:31

Hazbeen that was so very kind of you, the best part of British culture, it’s kindly neighbourliness.

What am I buying online:
Groceries (for the first time ever)
Easter gifts, books for the children, Hotel Chocolate cocoa gin for the grownup children
Greeting cards
Stamps
Toiletries
Alcohol hand gel

Rosiebee Thu 02-Apr-20 18:05:43

A pack of wool to make a complicated crochet blanket by one of my favourite designers. It will keep me occupied and less fretful. I don't feel guilty, it's a local wool shop supplying yarn and a local driver delivering. It will take me a long time to make it, lots of unravelling I expect, it will keep me busy and content.

PamelaJ1 Thu 02-Apr-20 18:37:06

I must admit I hadn’t given danger to the delivery person much thought.
Thinking about it now I would have presumed that the van would be sanitised between different drivers, and that they would be wearing gloves whilst working. Good job I haven’t been ordering!
One or two local businesses round here have started delivering, a garden centre, the chap that usually has the cheese van on the market and our local pub.
Should we support them or not? They would like us to.

Thanks to those of you who have given me names for paint suppliers on line. Maybe I’ll have a rethink. We’ll prepare the room for painting then do it quickly when we have a bit more freedom.
The trickle charger for the car looks interesting but we have just returned from a two month break and our car started straight away so I don’t need one of those at the moment thank goodness.

granbabies123 Thu 02-Apr-20 18:54:52

Rry dulux centre for paint orders

Lioness68 Thu 02-Apr-20 19:01:54

What I normally buy on line is groceries. I have arthritis and struggle to go shopping in person and have been using Tesco deliveries for years. I now can't get a delivery - my last one was three weeks ago and my next one is Easter Monday. I pay £7 a month for one of their delivery savers. I normally get a shop every week as required. Now I am having to go out every couple of days to our local small Tesco and buy what I can manage.

Other than that I have bought a couple of books for my kindle.

Fiachna50 Thu 02-Apr-20 19:08:00

Nothing.

M0nica Thu 02-Apr-20 19:08:10

We have a big lidded plastic box outside the front door labelled deliveries. The post man puts any packages in there.

The Hermes lady put the box on the doorstep, rang the bell and retreated. She was a good 4 metres away when I answered the door and picked up the package.

My fishman is going to ring me with the price of the fish I have ordered about half an hour before he arrives. I will write cheque and put it in the 'Delivery' box. When he arrives he will take the cheque and put the fish in the box. He is a self employed man with lots of little jobs to make up a living wage. Some of these have gone, if I can help him keep off UC, I will. My butcher also does deliveries and again I will do what I can to keep them in business.

Hawera1 Thu 02-Apr-20 21:48:48

We have been told only essential supplies can be delivered in New Zealand so thinking various thing's that I had ordered probably have been stopped at the border. I did get some blueberry juice yesterday.

mcem Thu 02-Apr-20 22:06:53

Replacement handles for kitchen doors (job done)
Under cabinet lights.
A Jack-in-the-box for GS's first birthday which of course I shall miss.
Garden plants in an attempt to save just a few from being dumped.

AllotmentLil Thu 02-Apr-20 22:26:35

Books
New bras
Saucepan
Cupboard door handles
Screensaver for phone

Frosty60 Thu 02-Apr-20 22:30:38

Some compost and sunflower seeds, some printer ink and plain paper as we have a 9 year old who adopted as a baby so we needed ink and printing paper for his home schooling and I thought we could plant some sunflower ?. Managed to get an online grocery shop for 10th April.

Frosty60 Thu 02-Apr-20 22:34:06

Oh yes and sent for 2 Easter cards to be delivered to my 2 dear little granddaughters address via FreePrints cards, they got them yesterday and the eldest liked getting something through the post, did want to know why my photo wasn’t on it though, bless her

Allegretto Thu 02-Apr-20 23:18:14

Fabric
Seeds
Gift for granddaughter’s birthday
Hoodies for grandchildren
Vitamin supplements
Bin liners

craftyone Fri 03-Apr-20 05:20:24

2 turtlemats ordered

grannycakes Fri 03-Apr-20 05:43:25

Do those saying we should be like Italy and Spain i.e. in total lockdown realise that in Italy at least online shopping and takeaway food is encouraged and still happening

craftyone Fri 03-Apr-20 06:08:09

caleno alcohol-free drink is ordered, another buy to potentially help save a small business

Bobdoesit Fri 03-Apr-20 14:53:13

Hairdressing scissors so I can have a go at cutting my hair. Could be disastrous but it will entertain me for a little while if nothing else. smile