Gransnet forums

Chat

Conspiracy Theories

(158 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Thu 02-Apr-20 10:37:59

During this worrying time a number of conspiracy theories are emerging so which ones, if any, do you believe? Some I have heard are:

The virus has been manufactured and released

By China (for what reason is unclear)

By a group of businessmen wanting to take over the world

By a mad billionare who wants to infect as many people as possible and then sell the cure and make a fortune

By various governments who will eventually state everyone has to have a chip inserted under their skin which will enable them to control and enslave us

quizqueen Thu 02-Apr-20 18:54:18

Whatever the truth is, the facts are...
a) There is a lab not far from the wet market which studies viruses in Wuhan
b) The Chinese government are often sparing with the truth
c) Bats are in no way to blame for this virus, it is human interaction with them which has put us in danger.

Artdecogran Thu 02-Apr-20 18:59:59

I wish James Bond was on my case! As long as it was Pierce Brosnan, of course.

vampirequeen Thu 02-Apr-20 19:12:08

Oooh no ..either Sean Connery or Daniel Craig. Pierce is a bit too smooth for me. If I'm going over to the dark side then it would have to be Sean Bean grin

M0nica Thu 02-Apr-20 20:16:32

Quizqueen Yes, it is as convincing as the conspiracy theory that the toxin that nearly killed the Scripals in Salisbury, was a release, accidental or not, from Porton Down.

This is not the first time that viruses have been the result of transfer between animals and human at live markets. It is how Ebola disease and several other equally deadly diseases that have evolved in Africa came into being, or do the Chinese have laboratories in Sierra Leone and the Congo?

NotTooOld Thu 02-Apr-20 21:22:57

It's biblical. There are too many of us on the Earth so Him up There has sent the Coronavirus to thin us out. We've already had floods and forest fires and we'll be getting a plague of locusts very soon.

BradfordLass73 Thu 02-Apr-20 23:36:43

Don't believe any of them or waste your time and energy speculating - unless it is for laughs smile

M0nica Fri 03-Apr-20 08:03:42

Oh come now Bradfordgirl It is such fun speculating about all these conspiracy theories and thinking up some ourselves.

I really think a pangolin take over would be very good for us.grin

Teetime Fri 03-Apr-20 09:41:46

Sean Connery for me.

Moggycuddler Fri 03-Apr-20 10:55:07

It was aliens.wink

Theoddbird Fri 03-Apr-20 10:59:15

The problem with this type of post is that there are a lot of vulnerable people reading it now who will go into more of a panic mode than they were already in. I actually think it should be removed....

Neilspurgeon0 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:02:55

Teetime for Queen, best conspiracy theory I have ever heard. Could you please give us your opinions on Roswell, JFK’s shooting, first men on the moon etc to give us all a laugh please Teetime !?!

You will gather I don’t take conspiracy theories very seriously

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Fri 03-Apr-20 11:06:43

Greymar can we not kill all bays and replace with kittens. Dont like bat's or lizards???

sazz1 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:08:41

I'm convinced this virus has been circulating for a very long time before we were told about it.
As with BSE I know for a fact it was around for at least 2 years infecting people before we 'discovered' it. My friend was training as an environmental health officers and being taught about it. But it would have crippled the farmers and beef industry so they didn't publish it until many people were infected. Same now

grandtanteJE65 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:10:48

You probably all remember that AIDS was said to have been manufactured in a lab. too.

I hope some people find conspiracy theories funny. I just find them annoying.

Thecatshatontgemat Fri 03-Apr-20 11:13:43

Oldwoman70.
Spooky comment, or have you just read the book Poster Boy......?

M0nica Fri 03-Apr-20 11:19:11

Theoddbird We cannot protect all the people all the time. If everyone who was perceived as vulnerable to anything was immediately protected from it, we would all be left living a life of total ignorance , which would feed all the conspiracies we would then make up under the cloud.

I would suggest however,that the people most likely to believe these conspiracies are not the vulnerable but the deliberately ignorant who find pursuing ludicrous conspiracy theories makes them feel special because it scares other people.

krazykat Fri 03-Apr-20 11:20:27

Mother nature fighting back

Elderflower2 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:20:38

There have always been myths, man loves a good story:

"To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh"

King Solomon Ecclesiastes 12:12

M0nica Fri 03-Apr-20 11:26:53

Elderflower2 Spot on.

jangeo44 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:26:55

Agree NotTooOld

Melanie123 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:31:42

I’d read that it was all to do with the introduction of 5G signal...........

vampirequeen Fri 03-Apr-20 11:32:19

I'm sure no one really believes that SPECTRE is behind it. It's just a bit of fun.

Houndi Fri 03-Apr-20 11:35:13

After it all over Americavwill bring out the film.They will have found the vaccine and Tom Hank will have saved the world

Shortlegs Fri 03-Apr-20 11:36:02

The internet has now provided every whacko with a voice. Conspiracy theories, false news etc. The lunatics have surely taken over the asylum.

Tiggersuki Fri 03-Apr-20 11:39:14

I think Firecracker is nearer the truth. In an overpopulated country that eats anything that moves and with animal experimentation something was waiting to happen.
Sadly we are in for a horrible few months as we are in uncharted territory. I cannot see a plausible end until we have a reliable vaccine some time next year.
Sorry for the doom