Gransnet forums

Chat

CLap for our carers tonight at 8pm

(128 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Thu 02-Apr-20 14:59:47

And I for one will certainly be joining in. Loud and proud. To applaud the NHS heroes and frontline staff

paddyanne Thu 02-Apr-20 15:12:26

My friend who is a nurse has just posted "I dont want people clapping and cheering every week ,I want people to stop voting for psycopaths who dont believe in the NHS or who want to ,as they have beeen doing ,sell chunks of it to their rich mates " Think about thet next time you mark an X on the paper !

Kandinsky Thu 02-Apr-20 15:19:00

I’m afraid I find it a bit cringe.
( especially doing it every week )

Greymar Thu 02-Apr-20 15:21:57

Agreed, Kandinsky. It's kinda embarassing to stand on your doorstep with people who have blanked you for years. Suddenly it's all teddies, rainbows and clapping for the NHS.

I'd rather clap quietly at the news that health workers have the equipment they need to stop them dying on the job.

Riverwalk Thu 02-Apr-20 15:34:08

It was fine as a one-off and when this is all over maybe another performance.

In the meantime I'd prefer if people stood at their doors and balconies to demand workers had the proper PPE to save their lives.

It's just another distraction to deflect from the real events.

lemongrove Thu 02-Apr-20 15:42:26

Once was good, but to keep on Thursday after Thursday is a bit silly.

merlotgran Thu 02-Apr-20 15:44:06

Once was effective. It will lose it's meaning if it carries on.

merlotgran Thu 02-Apr-20 15:44:28

its

ginny Thu 02-Apr-20 15:56:34

We all know that there are things that need to be addressed.
I don’t think a couple of minutes once a week is too much. It shows our ongoing appreciation for all those in the front line .

lilypollen Thu 02-Apr-20 15:57:27

I think last week was just clapping for the NHS, this one's to include other workers on whom we depend eg shopworkers, postal workers, teachers,refuse collectors (and more) who deserve some recognition too. Agree that if it were a weekly occurrence it would lose its meaning.

suziewoozie Thu 02-Apr-20 16:04:21

What they are all doing gets harder day by day and more dangerous. A one off seems a bit mean in that context. My dd is utterly knackered as work is so hard and demanding ( NHS hospital back office but in daily contact with doctors) I was awake at 5am this morning feeling sick with worry about her but at least today they’ve introduced some measures to help reduce her ( and others risk).

Doodledog Thu 02-Apr-20 16:06:28

I agree with those who've said it will be cringy. I thought last week was very moving, but doing it again so soon seems a bit Pavlovian and as though we are paying lip service to what people are doing.

I don't think I'll do it tonight. Not because I don't appreciate the work that people are doing, but because if I were an essential worker I would also prefer to get PPE and proper funding.

M0nica Thu 02-Apr-20 16:10:31

Done too often it just becomes something mechanical we do because to be seen not to would mark one down.

Charleygirl5 Thu 02-Apr-20 16:17:12

I could not agree more- I also find it cringeworthy. It would be better and be more appreciated if NHS, police, firemen etc are invited to the front of a store queue.

suziewoozie Thu 02-Apr-20 16:17:39

I don’t agree with either MO or Doodle becsuse yiure not describing what the clapping means but what it means to you and/ or how you’d feel. Funnily enough you can clap AND believe in better funding and PPE. Lots of workers last week appreciated it so that’s good enough for me.

suziewoozie Thu 02-Apr-20 16:22:08

Charley some stores are doing that and doing that dies not exclude clapping - why are some posters so either/ or? So you don’t want to do it, fine but be honest- it makes you feel uncomfortable- don’t be so supercilious and judgemental to those of us who want to do it. It doesn’t mean we don’t want them to be better paid and resourced or go to the front of the queue.

BlueBelle Thu 02-Apr-20 16:24:32

I love it I look forward to it it’s five minutes a week when we can all agree on something what’s to not like

Doodledog Thu 02-Apr-20 16:28:21

I really don't think anyone is being supercilious or judgemental.

All any of us (whether they want to do it or not) is doing is saying what they think and why. What's wrong with that?

Urmstongran Thu 02-Apr-20 16:30:09

It’s being done every night at 8pm here in Spain. Granted, apartment life is more the norm out here so not cringey such as standing at front doors in the U.K. lockdown out here is stricter. NO walks outside for exercise, only one person allowed out to shop etc so clapping and cheering as a ‘thank you’ to the essential workers is lovely - last night 3 members of staff from the SuperSol across the road stood at the sliding doors and waved back to us all.

I find it emotional and uplifting.

The Spanish are, I think, less inhibited in expressing their feelings!

BlueBelle Thu 02-Apr-20 16:30:27

They are charleygirl there is an early morning slot specially for key workers at most supermarkets

Urmstongran Thu 02-Apr-20 16:33:18

Oh, and the Policia Civil slowly drive around with their blue lights flashing & their sirens blaring for the 2 minutes.

It’s so scary out here with the mortality figures so high. I think everyone at 8pm who is safe and well feels a sense of heightened gratitude to all the key workers.

Doodledog Thu 02-Apr-20 16:35:56

That's interesting, Urmstongran. I can imagine that being emotional and bonding. Here, walking down to the bottom of the garden, looking up and down the street at people you hardly know, then breaking into 'spontaneous' applause is a bit different, particularly, as you say, for those of us from an inhibited nation.

It's horses for courses, I think. I don't know - maybe I'll see whether others do it tonight and be at the door ready just in case grin.

EllanVannin Thu 02-Apr-20 16:40:24

I'd like a football rattle to waken everyone round here ! Last week the few claps sounded like cows crossing a road.

A decent resounding noise to ALL who are continuing to keep the country running. Just make a din for them all.

EllanVannin Thu 02-Apr-20 16:43:08

PS, could use grandpa's police whistle, but it could send out the wrong signal. shock

merlotgran Thu 02-Apr-20 17:01:34

It’s so scary out here with the mortality figures so high. I think everyone at 8pm who is safe and well feels a sense of heightened gratitude to all the key workers.

I can imagine that.

Stay safe and well, Urmstongran