Gransnet forums

Chat

TV in these difficult times

(130 Posts)
Thelastemperor Thu 02-Apr-20 21:08:29

Does anyone else think that terrestrial TV channels are not serving us well in these troubled times. This would be a great opportunity for them to get together on one channel to impress us and earn license fee.
A suggestion..... From 9:00am to midnight on BBC2, in conjunction with the other terrestrial channels they could show, in their entirety, those blockbuster serials from years gone by.
For example,, 10:00 am Downton Abbey, every episode of every series one after the other.
11:00 am The Jewel in the Crown
I'm sure everyone could think of things which would help us get through the days.
What other magical programmes can you think of?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 03-Apr-20 12:14:26

I would love to see Cold Feet and Call of Duty from the beginning as I missed out on them at the start. I'm too mean to pay for a subscription or box set. I suspect the latter may not be too comforting.
Only Fools and Horses hits the spot every time.

Essex59 Fri 03-Apr-20 12:18:07

I've been watching YouTube. Lots of great old films and TV series on their. I rarely watch the BBC, the left wing bias is boring.

Bazza Fri 03-Apr-20 12:24:30

Anyone remember Thorn Birds? Quite racy in it’s day.

123kitty Fri 03-Apr-20 12:25:51

Edward and Mrs Simpson (one of the Fox actors was a brilliant Edward)

nananumnums Fri 03-Apr-20 12:28:21

harry's game - if only for the music !!

Northernandproud Fri 03-Apr-20 12:36:43

I remember the cedar tree and would love to see it again i can remember sitting and watching it with my lovely nanna. I would also like to see the original Poldark i was totally in love with Robin Ellis

Damdee Fri 03-Apr-20 12:38:33

Bazza, yes to the Thorn Birds! Also like to see the original Poldark. I am currently watching Bramwell on Uktvplay (free). I allow myself one episode a day! Seen all the first series now, and into the second.

Joesoap Fri 03-Apr-20 12:40:59

The Yorkshire Vet series from years ago, cant think of the name.Brideshead Revisited.
Upstairs and Downstairs.The Monarch of the Glenn

Buttonjugs Fri 03-Apr-20 12:44:15

Probably won’t be a popular choice but I wish Channel 4 would show all episodes of Big Brother chronologically. I only got into it during the 7th series so would love to see the earlier ones, together with the satellite shows.

basicallygrace12 Fri 03-Apr-20 12:46:03

i would love to see the geoff hamilton era gardeners world repeated

mrsgreenfingers56 Fri 03-Apr-20 12:53:56

'Diana' by R.F. Delderfield, it was a wonderful series and I really enjoyed it, think in the early 80's.

morethan2 Fri 03-Apr-20 12:55:20

I’m watching a lot of television, I’ve also dug out a box set I bought years ago called the ‘Americans’ 75 episodes in all. So that’ll keep me occupied...do I feel guilty? Absolutely not. When I was an army wife in the early 70 there was no television so I read and read and read. I’m grateful for the advance in technology that allows me to watch so many well produced t.v programs, dvds and downloads.

Mapleleaf Fri 03-Apr-20 13:02:04

"All Creatures Great and Small" might be the programme you are thinking of, Joesoap.

Chardy Fri 03-Apr-20 13:03:58

Calendar girl - If it's Jack Galloway you're thinking of, he was Michael Gambon's right hand man when they resurrected Maigret the first time (Rowan Atkinson being the second resurrection).

grandmac Fri 03-Apr-20 13:06:32

Bazza oh yes to The Thorn Birds. Any one remember Shogun, and Tenko.

rowanflower0 Fri 03-Apr-20 13:13:56

As long as they don't show 'Survivors' again!

Or screen '28 Days Later'

They would be a bit to close to home!

Tillybelle Fri 03-Apr-20 13:17:04

I'm reading. Several books at a time. From "The Finance Curse: How global finance is making us all poorer"
by Nicholas Shaxson to "The hypnotist" by Lars Kepler.
I watch lectures on YouTube. Any subject, but loads on Virology. TV has gone way downhill and I dread it deciding to patronise us with brain numbing rubbish from the past, especially game-shows. Ugh!

FoghornLeghorn Fri 03-Apr-20 13:18:25

harry's game - if only for the music !!

Yes, this was brilliant and the music haunting. I loved Ray Lonnen. He was also in The Brief where he played a barrister. Harry’s Game was the first time I think we saw Charlie from Casualty.

Alishka Fri 03-Apr-20 13:19:17

Anyone remember the childrens TV jingle "turn off your tele and go and do something more interesting instead"?
Ladies, I give you (drum roll) the radio grin
Catch up on Cabin Pressure, written by the fab.John Finnemore, and his daily offerings as the nice but ever-so-dim Arthur Shappey.

tigger Fri 03-Apr-20 13:20:50

I agree with Franbern. My own private thoughts: I believe we are in danger of Corona overload. Of course we are in the midst of a global crisis but every news bulletin BBC news all day reflects on the horrors of this deadly illness. PR consultants would say "keep banging the drum" but the government are now concerned that there has been an increase in the use of cars which indicates people are out and about more. Perhaps at this time less is more because there may come a time when people stop listening. I feel TV channels especially the BBC need to dig into their archives and provide a much wider variety of programmes i.e. films, drama, comedy. Admittedly some may not be PC but could come with a health warning.

yellowcanary Fri 03-Apr-20 13:32:33

Downton Abbey is (or was) on Amazon Prime - along with lots of other series and films. If you have Virgin you can access it on there without needing a fire stick, don't know about Sky or BT.

polnan Fri 03-Apr-20 13:59:46

Britbox,, you have to pay, I don`t like paying

I have Freesat.. (can`t get Freeview)

quizqueen Fri 03-Apr-20 14:10:19

If they showed old stuff, I'd like to see the early series of Strictly as I didn't watch for the first few years, also Britain's got Talent and Bake off for the same reason.

I expect everyone knows that You Tube is showing a 'live' stream musical every Friday starting at 7pm tonight; they will be available to watch for 48 hours for free. The first one tonight is Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat. I saw that twice with Jason Donovan and love the songs. The link is... youtu.be/N6XjXfQmZ4Q

Daddima Fri 03-Apr-20 14:26:29

Alishka the programme was called ‘ Why Don’t You’.

Bluecat Fri 03-Apr-20 14:56:14

I expect everyone also knows that the National Theatre is live streaming a play every Thursday night at 7 p. m. on YouTube. I was really looking forward to One Man Two Guvnors last night. Thought it was dire. I am just glad I didn't pay good money to see it on stage. I hope, though, that Tamsin Greig will be good as Malvolio in Twelfth Night.

As for TV, I don't want to see loads of old stuff. Get out there, BBC, and make something good! Dazzle us!