Gransnet forums

Chat

Why don’t we have a bitching, shouting angry thread?

(82 Posts)
Artdecogran Fri 03-Apr-20 14:52:43

Where anything goes. It might allow the frustrated, angry or plain fed up to vent without spoiling other threads.

suziewoozie Sat 04-Apr-20 11:28:45

Reins? Available at the supermarket

Alexa Sat 04-Apr-20 11:28:49

I gather the admin at Gnet prefers twee

Alexa Sat 04-Apr-20 11:34:32

Woud the mother of the seven year old be allowed to piggy back her child around the supermarkeT?

Probably not. This troubling time is a haven for jobsworths.

Have you heard about the Derbyshire police dying black the water of a beauty spot pond?

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 11:41:55

If not available then a dog lead attached to a belt round the middle?

A 2 year old can sit in a trolley. I think even my DGD could squeeze into one at 7 although some may not be able to.

suziewoozie Sat 04-Apr-20 11:49:13

alexa that story is not as simple as the right wing rags are portraying. The ‘lake’ in question is toxic and they’ve dyed it before to deter swimmers in hot weather, But hey let’s hear it for the DM and its tax dodging owner and knock the police who are helping to keep us safe and who pay their taxes as well

Alexa Sat 04-Apr-20 11:59:51

Suziewoozie the BBC TV reported the police force officiousness (my word)with regard to the quarry pond. Anyway thanks for the heads-up.

Alexa Sat 04-Apr-20 12:16:33

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/30/uk-police-guidelines-coronavirus-lockdown-enforcement-powers-following-criticism-lord-sumption

I Get all my news from either TV or The Guardian. I have searched and think it must have been the Guardian I got my idea from. I agree with you, Suziewoozie , that the owner of RW newspapers is not to be trusted.

suziewoozie Sat 04-Apr-20 12:20:27

Well officiously is a judgement call - the idiots who went out that weekend are just the sort to get into trouble swimming and end up endangering others in various ways. This is all new for the police and we ought to cut them some reasonable slack. It’s not as though they were beating anyone up.

Eglantine21 Sat 04-Apr-20 12:35:59

Nobody would have known it had been dyed black if they hadn’t been there when they shouldn’t have been!

suziewoozie Sat 04-Apr-20 12:44:13

I just think at the moment we are putting people we need into difficult situations and I just think we need to think before we jump in and criticise the police or the man at Morrison’s. A child can infect or be infected, a child is more difficult to control in the supermarket. It’s not fair to take them and thereby potentially help the spread. I simply can’t believe there isn’t a solution to this - community volunteers, the local council helpline etc. It’s more likely a sense of entitlement to do what they want and not take responsibility.

Chewbacca Sat 04-Apr-20 13:30:12

The lake you're referring to is near where I live and I can confirm that it's been dyed on several occassions in the past. One of the times it had dye thrown in it was to prevent swimmers from using it when it had blue/green algae in it. Its a very dangerous pool to swim in.

gillybob Sat 04-Apr-20 14:15:25

Oh suziewoozie you’re all heart. A single parent would be way down on the priority lists for outside help. Nothing at all to do with entitlement.

Or perhaps they should just starve ?

Chewbacca Sat 04-Apr-20 14:37:40

Take no notice gillybob; sometimes people can't envisage any scenario outside of their own experiences and therefore lack empathy.

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 14:45:02

Is she small enough to sit in the trolley, gilly? And be strapped in.
I remember youngest DC standing up in the seat and shouting 'look at me' and I just grabbed her in time!

gillybob Sat 04-Apr-20 14:54:14

Thank you Chewy and Calli smile Yes she’s not yet 2 so no problem sitting in the trolley . My DD doesn’t drive so it’s hard for her to get very much at any one time .

suziewoozie Sat 04-Apr-20 15:10:29

Chew and gilly* what bloody rotten things to post aimed at me - you can’t bloody resist can you? I cannot believe for one minute that there is not one of these community groups that wouldn’t do the shopping for a single mum. Every local authority now has a helpline that will put you in touch with the local groups that offer a whole range of services. So it’s you who have no damn idea what you are talking about. It is NOT all right to take a child/ren into supermarkets now tgat tge one person rule has been brought in. Or do you both think it’s fine for children to run around and potentially infect/ be infected by others.

rafichagran Sat 04-Apr-20 15:13:32

Gilly I really feel for your daughter. My own daughter is a single parent and has to take her, just 7 year old, with her to the supermarket. Thank goodness he knows about CV and social distancing.
The man at the supermarket did not have a clue. He is a jobs worth. I would have asked to speak to his manager.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 04-Apr-20 15:26:17

gillybob please do not let posters get to you

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 16:15:37

I remember those days, gilly, as well as overloading the bags on the McLaren buggy so it went over backwards shock. That was a different child. What a terrible mother I was.

I hope she has a substantial pushchair with a shopping tray underneath. I did have one of those as well, but used the little folding one when we went on the bus.

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 16:17:38

suziewoozie I wouldn't want to see children running around in the supermarket either, but I think that gilly's DGD is small enough to sit in the trolley.
I don't like them hurtling around at the best of times, it's not a playground.

rafichagran Sat 04-Apr-20 16:17:45

I overloaded the push chair as well. I will join you in the terrible Mother stakes.

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 16:19:58

I think they've forgiven me.
Then there was the time that we were new GP and put the small DGC into the pushchair, a new design to us, and it kept folding up sideways. We abandoned the walk.

eazybee Sat 04-Apr-20 17:49:34

What on earth is the matter with you SW to post such an unpleasant post?
And don't use Coronavirus as an excuse.

gillybob Sat 04-Apr-20 18:36:58

Just checked in with Gingerbread. Single parents are not classed as vulnerable unless the child ( or indeed parent) is disabled . Fair enough I say . Following Morrison’s heavy handed approach, They have also clarified the single adult with child policy with all the major supermarkets .

My DGD will sit in the trolley ( big girls sit in trolleys) so she won’t be running around the shop it’s just hard when you have to lug it all home . smile

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 19:37:33

Well, gilly, having just received The Letter telling me that I am vulnerable (and very old!) And need to self-isolate for 12 weeks, I thought I would get a grocery delivery slot but alas no. The systems have failed dismally. Luckily I have help from neighbours and family.