Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you ever put things in a safe place

(89 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sat 04-Apr-20 11:57:08

Anyone ever put important items in a safe place. Then discovered you have forgotten where you hid them lol or is it just me.

Missfoodlove Sat 04-Apr-20 23:17:23

Found some very special chocolates I hid from my husband. they were in a bookcase.
I spent hours looking for them at Xmas time

BlueBelle Sat 04-Apr-20 23:22:39

One year before I went on holiday I realised I d got about £100 in my purse which I didn’t want to take with me so hid it until I returned
When I came back I could not remember where on earth i d hidden it It took me a week of heavy hunting and wringing hands before I went to the wardrobe to get a thin scarf out to put round my neck and out dropped the money

MissAdventure Sat 04-Apr-20 23:33:13

Yes, and I always congratulate myself on finding such an ingenious place that I just know I'll never forget.

Then I immediately forget.

Bellanonna Sat 04-Apr-20 23:45:31

That made me laugh BlueBelle. It’s so frustrating though, isn’t it? My mystery hiding places seem to be happening far more often now, unfortunately.

Violettham Sat 04-Apr-20 23:46:34

So very happy to hear I am not the only one

Marmight Sun 05-Apr-20 02:48:42

All the time.
I ‘hide’ important papers, jewellery and keys when I go away and inevitably forget where so I now list them in ‘Notes’ on my phone in a form of code. Trouble is, on return I can’t decipher the code and it takes a few days for the penny to drop .e.g. baked beans, Jane Eyre, tea cosy. confused. If I lost my phone, Id be scuppered.
However, if I hide chocolate (so I don't eat it ?) I always remember where it’s secreted. Funny that!

fatgran57 Sun 05-Apr-20 02:59:27

We both do this a lot! I have now been taking a photo on my phone (as another poster also suggested) but sometimes I don't remember what the item in the photo isconfused for example could not work out what one pic was, turned out to be the gauze to pack in gd's nose when she had a nosebleed!

OH is the worst person in the world for losing things. Absolutely maddening.

harrigran Sun 05-Apr-20 08:14:11

I have not been able to find two bracelets, DH says it should not be difficult and I should just check the safe. I have looked in handbags and in boxes on wardrobe shelves as well as the safe but no luck. My mind is completely blank, could I actually have thrown them out when tidying up ?
The bracelets are not costume jewellery, one is sapphires and diamonds, I really need to be more careful.

bikergran Sun 05-Apr-20 08:18:16

I hid gsons birthday money for him in my house, I put a code on my phone to remind me where I had hid it smile

Grandmafrench Sun 05-Apr-20 09:57:18

Unlike you, harrigran it took me forever to admit that my engagement ring might truly have been lost/stolen/thrown out, so I used to have “little raids” in places where I might have put it - but nothing too desperate.....so I’d always have hope. Our house was on the market, so pretty well organised. We allowed the Estate Agent to show a couple around - just once, when we were off to Hampton Court. I wasn’t happy, so hid some jewellery and a couple of handbags. Searched those handbags, of course, but couldn’t actually recall hiding my engagement ring. Later photos showed I wasn’t wearing it in London. During a year and in an increasing panic I turned out our home 3 times......really really turned out every single thing in every room, from cutlery drawers to old boxes, bookshelves, medicine cabinet, under furniture. Made me very sad. We had a completion date. I decided to tackle clothing - we were moving abroad so lots to store and dispose of. Folded everything from my wardrobe one afternoon and boxed. A big folded pile for the charity shop, a little one for recycling on the bed. I had a very pretty knitted cotton waistcoat which I occasionally wore over a silk shirt. My Mum coveted both, so I thought I’d give them to her. I phoned her. She was thrilled. I put the shirt into a bag and smoothed out the waistcoat. The tiny pocket on the front wouldn’t flatten. I shrieked and almost deafened Mum - tucked inside a folded tissue was my engagement ring! Only then did I remember deciding to hide it moments before leaving for Hampton Court.

cossybabe Sun 05-Apr-20 10:55:36

I had a very large bill to pay, I knew I had the cash, but could I find it. We searched and searched, I kept repeating "I know I put the money somewhere safe" After about 2 hours - I suddenly shouted out "that's it - the safe". I then had to remember the security number for the safe - after about an hour, I opened the safe and there was the money - what an idiot.

annietelephant Sun 05-Apr-20 11:01:40

Not usually, but at the moment...wow! I’ve lost/mislaid the address book. (I don’t know how, it’s huge) And for the first time in 65 years of wearing glasses ?, I’ve lost a pair of specs! Searched the house to no avail! Oh well, thank heavens for spare pairs.

Mollygo Sun 05-Apr-20 11:02:46

DH has the best memory- he remembers things put in a safe place with ease but I keep a list on my phone as others have suggested.
Wish I’d put my nail file in a safe place or told DH !

Flakesdayout Sun 05-Apr-20 11:03:14

Oh I do it all the time. I hid some jewellery as I had a moment thinking if someone broke in I would lose it., Well I did. I was about to accuse some poor soul when I came across it. I hid a favourite ring and 'lost' it for months. I even put some money in a lavender bag. Didn't find it for over a year later. (Nice surprise tho). I now have a Memo on my phone for where I have now hidden things, and told my Son how to get into it.

Caro57 Sun 05-Apr-20 11:05:59

DD and I both forgot where DGD birthday present is hidden. I, eventually, found it under a bed here- DGD will be getting it late as we can’t get to her!!

Sparkles Sun 05-Apr-20 11:05:59

But you all miss the point here - if you cant find it then no-one can - so it is safe -

Fennel Sun 05-Apr-20 11:08:08

Just when the lockdown started a crown came off one of my front teeth.
Dentists all closed.
Luckily I still have the crown, it's in an envelope on my desk. I know that if I hide it away I''ll forget where I put it.
So I'm reluctant to smile too much because of the gap.

Theoddbird Sun 05-Apr-20 11:08:31

I do it a lot. A year ago I bought a lovely file to put all by boat paperwork in plus car stuff. A year on and I haven't a clue where I put it. I never took it out of the bag I know. My boat and car stuff is still in various places. Took me sges to find csr stuff for taxing the other day as it wasn't where I thought I had put it.
My living space is 57ft by 6ft 10ins so how do I lose things...sighs Wanders off contemplating life the universe and everything and everything >>>

Quizzer Sun 05-Apr-20 11:12:15

Isn't it exciting when you find something "in a safe place" that you had completely forgotten about. When you go away (if you ever do again!) try putting cards etc somewhere that you are bound to find, like inside your most used lidded saucepan.

knspol Sun 05-Apr-20 11:13:47

I have a great b'day book/folder a friend bought me years ago and it has a pouch for each month as well as a monthly calendar to write down people's names. If I ever see cards I like then I buy them and put them in the appropriate months folder. So useful, I've often looked for more of these to give other people but have been unable to find any.

Betty18 Sun 05-Apr-20 11:20:30

I decided before a holiday to hide all my jewellery. Great idea !! I got home and didn’t even think about it for a few weeks , ,but when I decided I needed a change of rings etc I realised I couldn’t remember where I’d put the blinking stuff.
Six months later and turning the house upside down still nowhere to be seen.
In the end I booked a session with a hypnotherapist and although nothing came out during the session within two days I’d found the jewellery. It was strange as I didn’t get a memory as such , just found myself wandering to particular area in the house and laying hands on them straight away. Brilliant !

SusiQ8 Sun 05-Apr-20 11:25:15

I once went to the Post Office And berated them about some money missing from my account. I repeatedly told them that I hadn’t withdrawn it And it was their mistake. About a year later I was looking for something on the bookshelf and discovered, behind a photo frMe, the £100 I had been banking on about. I felt suitably ashamed. I’m always putting things in safe places then forgetting where I’ve put them. Granny23 I think you have a brilliant solution!

jocork Sun 05-Apr-20 11:27:19

More than once my elderly MiL has convinced herself she's been burgled. We suspect she has hidden things and can't remember where they are but she has had the police round more than once!

Rosina Sun 05-Apr-20 11:28:57

newnanny that is absolutely me - there must be at least five or six really appropriate cards for family members that I have bought over the years , tucked away for the big day and then can't find them. I bought one for a dear aunt and couldn't find it in time for her birthday and have moved house twice and still not found it!

b1zzle Sun 05-Apr-20 11:34:00

I blame 'The Borrowers'. They make their homes in our 'safe places' then bewitch our minds.