Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone else making themselves promises of things to achieve if we all survive this?

(18 Posts)
M0nica Mon 06-Apr-20 16:48:01

I am very conscious of those that do not have the advantages I have, but you do not need space to retreat into your shell and catch up with a mountain of paperwork, reports and reading. Currently, except for my daily walk, I spend most of my time at my desk.

I am currently about to deal with a backlog of three months filing.

Grammaretto Mon 06-Apr-20 16:12:26

Hush, MOnica
You will make people jealous.
It's a best kept a secret, that most of the time having to isolate without too many responsibilities, worries and plenty of space is a luxury.

M0nica Sun 05-Apr-20 11:41:49

No, when this is over I am going back to life as before and will just adapt to any changes that will inevitably ensue.

In fact, beyond the social distancing, the current restrictions have not really changed my life much, beyond making it possible for me to work through some of my backlist.

May7 Sun 05-Apr-20 09:11:26

Grammaretto she looks sad doesnt she ?

Grammaretto Sun 05-Apr-20 08:45:36

We already had our last warning bell when DH was diagnosed with cancer 3 years ago. So you could say we are lucky (?) that we have done a lot of the things we had kept putting off! It has been fun. Sadly our plans for the Summer have been cancelled.

Now it's memories to keep us sane.

Just spoke to DGD. It's her birthday today so I was trying not to cry.

I also hope we as a world, learn something from this and that we severely cut down on our polluting activities. The cities have never been so clean.
I was sent this photo of the Little Mermaid in Copenhagen with no tourists!

sodapop Sun 05-Apr-20 08:37:58

Just to get back to my life as it was before, visit my family and friends and make sure I do something tangible to thank everyone who helped.

Writing it all down is an excellent idea Txquiltz the small human details are soon forgotten if we don't record them.

Witzend Sun 05-Apr-20 08:21:58

Re air travel, this morning, out in the garden first thing, I saw a plane very high up overhead - its vapour trail was quite unlike what we usually see. Two very distinct ‘tramlines’ close together for as far as I could see - quite unlike the usual fuzzy things.

We are not a million miles from Heathrow, and it’s evident that a marked decrease in pollution is making a major difference.

Txquiltz Sun 05-Apr-20 08:14:21

I think I will write the story of these days, not from the standpoint of a participant, but rather as an observer. I'd like to pass it on to my grandkids and hope they will do the same. This is such a bizarre wrinkle in time and hopefully not to be repeated until science is prepared to eradicate the interloper. We are witnessing the best and worst of mankind on a grand scale. To not cleave the lessons from this experience would be a failure on my part.

Sugarpufffairy Sun 05-Apr-20 08:02:43

I agree with BlueSky. I think this situation is the outcome of too much travelling around the world. Especially going to places very remote or very different from the standards we have in our own country.
My wish would be to visit all the places I have been to before, all in this country, and would like to revisit

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-Apr-20 07:59:00

I think that anyone breathing the air right now will understand what we are doing to the world and definitely not go travelling when this is all over!

BlueSky Sun 05-Apr-20 07:45:55

No quite the opposite. I've been reluctant to travel for the past couple of years and as I was pushing myself to go to keep DH happy, this happened. So we narrowly missed being stranded abroad, which now reinforces my belief that I was right in wanting to stay put!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-Apr-20 07:45:37

Get the two dresses I was going to have altered done.

Pikachu Sun 05-Apr-20 07:44:12

I’m never again going to moan (to myself) about picking grandchildren up from school or having them dumped on me overnight. They are what I miss most.

fatgran57 Sun 05-Apr-20 06:48:23

I don't know, I just don't know.

My mind won't seem to let me think ahead at all. Even tomorrow seems too far ahead.

In the past I imagined that I would travel overseas again but OH won't, and won't let me pay for one of my daughters to come with me, so those dreams are shattered.

My world is very small now and not much to look forward to, so just hoping the family get through this is about all I can manage.

May7 Sun 05-Apr-20 03:20:28

I’ve had chickens they make fabulous pets. Easy to train with corn. Keep clean, collect egg, remember to lock them up. My favourite Tallulah a common Warren was eaten by a sneaky fox on the one night I was distracted and forgot to close the coop. Still not forgiven myself for that

Evie64 Sun 05-Apr-20 03:08:11

Friday is Coming, sounds good to me love! Especially the growing your own fruits and veg. So satisfying to pick and eat something you have grown from seed. The Maldives? Yes, I've just added that to my bucket list!

FridayIsComing Sun 05-Apr-20 03:02:50

Yes. Mine includes:
1. Travel more, see the world. Return to the Maldives. When LO is older, go snorkelling in the great barrier reef and do an overnight safari- see the big 5....

2. Stand up to my manager, fight for my right to do the job i was employed to do. Advance my career

3. Learn to become a bee keeper. Make my own honey.

4. Take up gardening, teach LO how to grow ur own fruits and veg

5. Always wanted to own some chickens. I think my LO will love it. Free range eggs too

6. Get fit again

7. Go out more even on an off day.

Evie64 Sun 05-Apr-20 02:50:24

I've got my bucket list, it's just there, as a sort of imaginary safety net. However, I don't think I've ever taken it seriously, I just like adding things to it, like "Go to Peru", "See the Pyramids at Giza", "Go on a pub crawl round Dublin". However, if I survive this, I have promised myself to achieve at least half of them, and believe me, the list is long! Anyone else?