Gransnet forums

Chat

Lazybones or just bone idle?

(71 Posts)
Luckylegs Sun 05-Apr-20 19:59:16

You all seem so busy, doing gardening, knitting, painting etc etc. After the first few days of sorting cupboards out and good intentions, I’ve come to a stop. I’ve done four weeks of isolation already due to a cough and cold after being retired for 15+ years, so I’m done with doing all that I can do. Everyone seems so busy and I just feel too tired and fed up to be bothered doing anything. I think I must be of a naturally lazy disposition but all I want to do is sitting reading my iPad.

We should have been on holiday now and I can easily sunbathe while reading books or on my iPad for hours every day as I always feel I’m ‘busy’ because I’m sunbathing as well!

My house is clean, I’ve sorted and cleaned quite a lot of cupboards and drawers but I’m not particularly bothered about doing anything else. I do need to get interested in gardening or painting or something but how do you motivate yourself? Is anyone else like this or am I the laziest b....r around?

Calendargirl Tue 07-Apr-20 07:10:03

Jillybird

Yes, I suppose ‘bottoming’ is similar to ‘turning it out’. Just giving it a really thorough ‘do’.

But my sister, (who I love dearly!) and whose house is always very clean and tidy, just makes such a virtue of her Martha Stewart /Domestic Goddess approach to it all. As you can probably tell, my approach is a bit more relaxed!

Moi jealous? ?

paddyanne Tue 07-Apr-20 01:24:19

My life is always busy ,this lockdown has given me time I dont normally have so I can do things at a slower pace.
For the first time in 4 years or more I dont wake worried about my daughter ,her husband has lost all his contracts and is at home full time until the CV situation changes .That means he;s there to help around the house an do the garden and help with schoolwork and just be a support to her.I haven't had a delivery of 7 bags of dirty clothes to be washed ironed and returned in two days for three weeks .I could get used to this .
We've had contracts postponed too which isn't so good and not seeing all the GC is awful as I have them a lot of the time. They all call and msg me .except the baby...lol but her dad sends me videos of her every day .It has been a nice restful time .The first time in 45 years without children filling the bedrooms.

GreenGran78 Mon 06-Apr-20 23:47:40

My son and I have been staying at home as much as possible. For the first two weeks we both spent a lot of time being quite idle. He spent a lot of time playing computer games. I read, watched tv and spent hours on Gransnet and Facebook.
Suddenly, in the last week, we have become energised. The house has had a thorough clean, including light fittings and shampooing my bedroom carpet. The garden paths have been jetwashed, and the garden jobs all caught up on.
Since getting my new hip I have taken off 30lbs, so I have sorted out all my clothes and stashed away the ones that don’t fit, until the charity shops re-open. I need to buy some new ones, but am quite happy to wear old loose ones until the shops re-open. With no social life, it no longer matters.
I also take a long, secluded walk every day, which is doing me good.
I think that finding out about the virus has affected many people in the same way, making us nervous and worried about what is happening, and retreating into a kind of numbness. Disinclined to get involved in things, feeling tired and ‘lazy.’ I hope that you all come out of it, after a while, as I have. If not - well what does it matter? Everyone will cope in their own way. There is no right or wrong.

Legs55 Mon 06-Apr-20 23:44:11

Sawsage2 that's been my motto since I took Early Retirement in 2006, DH's health wasn't good & he'd retired at 65, I was 50 so I've had 14 years of being busy doing nothing. I was widowed 7 years ago & I love being on my own (I miss DH & loved him very much but my life has to go on).

I never liked housework, kitchen & bathroom are clean, washing done but dustingblush, hoovering when necessary anything else ....whenever....

I love being outside so I potter about or if the mood takes me really get stuck in. Sometimes I just sit in the sun & readsmile & listen to the birds.

Occasionally I go for a walk but my mobility isn't good so I have to push myself.

I do crosswords, sudoku, read the newspaper. Loads of books to read, I also have lots of jigsaws, tapestry & embroidery if I get bored.

I love cooking & baking but sometimes it's too much of a faff just for one although I do cook all my meals from scratch.

Phone calls & facebook keep me in touch. But if I fancy being lazy there's only me & no visitorshmm

Must finish painting the garden fence & start decorating my bedroom now internal repair is done & my new roof is on, no more leakssmile

Sawsage2 Mon 06-Apr-20 23:09:33

Maggiemay. I so agree with you. Sing:
'I'm busy doing nothing, working the whole day through,
Trying to find lots of things not to do'

Time to ourselves ?

tidyskatemum Mon 06-Apr-20 21:29:29

I go out for walkies very early every morning. I take my binoculars to do a bit of birdwatching and probably stay out longer than the Gransnet Police would like, though I never see more than a couple of other people. After that I’ve got into a nice rut, oops routine, of shower, entering online competitions, kindle, basic housework, deciding what’s for dinner between the freezer and what needs using in the fridge, skyping DC and watching awful daytime tv. I feel quite content!

4allweknow Mon 06-Apr-20 21:10:44

I keep trying to motivate myself to clean out wardrobes but without success. I have cleaned the top of the kitchen cupboards but that took a massive effort to get started. Just no oomph at all. Pleased to learn there are many others like me, makes me feel sane.

FarNorth Mon 06-Apr-20 20:37:54

I'm very slowly learning a language on Duolingo.
Checking the progress of other learners, I've noticed that, recently, almost all of them have had spells of at least 2 or 3 days with no learning done.
That really hasn't been the case previously.

FarNorth Mon 06-Apr-20 20:33:08

everything appears to be normal but we know it isnt.

That's the point, at the moment. We feel rattled and can't concentrate, or that's the case for me anyway.
I admit to being a lazy person normally but, as someone said to me recently, "my head's mince just now".

MissAdventure Mon 06-Apr-20 20:11:35

I've always embraced my laziness, since I realised it's unlikely to change.

I'm more of a happy tortoise than a hare.

Jillybird Mon 06-Apr-20 19:53:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Calendargirl Mon 06-Apr-20 18:51:47

My sister said that the thought of staying in for twelve weeks didn’t bother her, she would ‘bottom’ all her rooms.

Seeing as her home is always pretty well ‘bottomed’ anyway.....

?

Maggiemaybe Mon 06-Apr-20 18:05:42

I’m doing what I’ve done ever since I retired, enjoying myself. The busy social life’s out the window for the time being, so small pleasures at home have to suffice. Lots of sitting in the garden reading, browsing, spending time with family and friends (differently now), doing exercise, but only the sort I enjoy, watching TV with a jigsaw, eating and drinking. I do the bare minimum of housework and it’s always enough.

I do have plans to download some audiobooks and listen to them while I launch myself into some major sorting and fettling. That’s been my plan for the last six years though. grin

Flakesdayout Mon 06-Apr-20 18:04:49

I write lists. Things that needs to be done i.e. car insurance quote, phone calls, shopping etc and a list of things that dont really need to be done. If I can tick one thing off then I feel I have achieved something. I have a relaxation list too- read, listen to music, play solitaire. I sit and watch people go past my window and everything appears to be normal but we know it isnt. I have been out today. Had Hospital appointment and it was very quiet, lots of masks, hand washing and lovely nurses. I felt quite humbled by them for they are doing a great job.

MawB Mon 06-Apr-20 17:57:58

It is true that “Keeping busy” is seen as a positive response when people ask after one’s welfare - but they haven’t asked “What are you doing?”

It is generally regarded as a virtue but one can be so busy being busy that you stop to (as they say) smell the roses!
After Paw died I found it a useful way of getting out of further conversation.
“Oh well, keeping busy” sent the enquirers away satisfied!

Grandma70s Mon 06-Apr-20 17:38:20

I’m always surprised that so many people think ‘being busy’ is a virtue. It really isn’t. Do the things that really need doing, and then do as you like. You might have some interesting thoughts or discover a good book. I’m reminded of the bit in Ballet Shoes where the cook doesn’t think reading is an occupation.

Fernbergien Mon 06-Apr-20 17:27:47

Full of good intentions. Not getting that much done. Glad I’m not the only one!

PamelaJ1 Mon 06-Apr-20 17:12:21

I am seriously worried about all those people running up and down the stairs.
Don’t they know how dangerous it is?
I don’t know the figures but am sure that falling down the stairs must take up a good percentage of A&E admissions.

GabriellaG54 Mon 06-Apr-20 17:06:33

I think you only do as much as you want to do, unless that impinges on the reasonable comfort of all who live in the household.
People who have hobbies must surely enjoy them as they're not compulsory at any age.
If you have done the necessary then why not veg out if that's your thing?
People get their pleasures in different ways and if that's yours, enjoy it.
Mine is sleeping. I love sleeping, it's a great hobby. Baking is second on the list and gardening third. I don't lose any sleep wondering if I should do more (no pun intended) ?

GabriellaG54 Mon 06-Apr-20 16:58:07

to not up.

GabriellaG54 Mon 06-Apr-20 16:57:21

I have up laugh at the thought of his n her 'domains' and one directing the other as to where and how something ought to be planted or a laundry wash should be organised.
It's 2020 and most of us have been or were married for quite some years, yet some men (and it's mostly men) still need or are given instructions.
Each to their own methods or domestic routines but I find it baffling and like having a child...no, in fact children are often more capable.
'But you do it better/quicker than I', is an oft heard cry which is no excuse, not to me anyway.
Obvs. this is only my opinion and not a direct criticism of any one poster's modus operandi.

Missedout Mon 06-Apr-20 16:34:22

Like many others have posted, I should be doing lots of cleaning, tidying, sorting, gardening and so on, except I've never been very good at any of this. Perhaps tomorrow....

I don’t mind following exercise videos, which seems odd given my inherent physical laziness, but I'm happy to spend time updating and backing up my computers, playing games on the iPad, knitting and reading and I don't mind cooking (not very much anyway).

But, oh dear, as much as I love my husband, I wish he didn't make me feel guilty all the time. Today, he has cleaned every window in the house and is about to mow the lawn. He doesn't mean to make me feel guilty, we've been married such a long time, so he knows what I'm like. He wouldn't dream of chivvying me along but sometimes, he can't understand why I'm not anxious, for example, to help him clear out the spare wardrobe.

Oh well, that's my reality for the time being. At least I've managed to ensure that he remains well fed!

Hetty58 Mon 06-Apr-20 15:52:53

If the carrot and stick method fails to work, I have another one. Allow yourself a 'day off' and alternate with a 'must get something done' day. At least there's still progress and a sense of (slow) achievement!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 06-Apr-20 15:47:27

Allow yourself to be lazy for at least some of the time that should have been your holiday.

You've cleaned the house and sorted cupboards and drawers.

Enjoy a nice long rest.

The weeds in the garden won't run away! For every weed I don't get rid of , I think of all the bees I am saving!

Madmaggie Mon 06-Apr-20 15:45:23

NO, you are NOT lazy. Nobody has to do anything they just don't want to. Your home is how you like it and your happy - nothing wrong with that. I had great intentions of doing a paint by numbers masterpiece but it hasn't arrived - am I bothered, feeling guilty - no. I was going to teach myself to crotchet - can I crotchet yet - no I can't. I have cleaned out 3 kitchen cupboards and I have weeded & trimmed PART of the garden - I shall do a little more eventually when weather & back permit. Am I relaxed - yes ?