Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you missing your hairdresser

(165 Posts)
Yiayia4 Wed 08-Apr-20 12:53:29

Hi everyone how are you getting on without going to the hairdresser.
Can you manage yourself or are you struggling? I'm an ex hairdresser so can colour my own hair and trim my fringe also cut DH's hair,although not done it for a long time! There are lots of tips on YouTube for cutting hair if your brave enough.

HurdyGurdy Sat 25-Apr-20 18:07:44

and THIS is why I need my hairdresser back in my life so badly grin

I had to resort to home colouring and let's just say, it wasn't my finest moment!

Yiayia4 Sat 25-Apr-20 14:29:21

You would have to bleach to make it lighter not a good idea,I’m sure it looks fine as it is

jacq10 Sat 25-Apr-20 14:17:59

Thanks Kalu - maybe not the kind of thing to try myself. My hair is still quite thick so don't want to damage it and risk the wrath of my hairdresser!! Once we get out of lock down it won't bother me - there will be loads of other things to occupy my mind.

Kalu Sat 25-Apr-20 13:00:34

I asked the same question jaqc but according to my hairdresser and other sources, it has to involve bleaching to achieve grey/silver. I had it done once and really liked the effect but was concerned about ongoing bleaching.

jacq10 Sat 25-Apr-20 12:47:14

Does anybody dye their hair grey? Mine is quite silvery and I am quite happy with that. I used to get highlights but stopped about two years ago when the grey really started to take over. My young hairdresser absolutely loves the colour - in fact, she dyes her own to a very similar shade. I was lucky to have it cut two days before lock down so it's okay lengthwise but the dark bits really annoy me and I'm wonder if I could lighten them. If it goes wrong I'm sure there will be enough time before I have to face her for it to grow out and no-one really sees me in real life - just DGS on facetime!

ginny Sat 25-Apr-20 12:16:58

Yes, I will soon. Short hair normally and I can’t bear it in or on my face. I’ll probably have a snip at it. I have also been experimenting with scarves and hair bands.

henetha Sat 25-Apr-20 12:11:19

Yes, - because she's my granddaughter. So I've gone back to cutting my own hair just like I used to before she qualified.

seacliff Sat 25-Apr-20 12:10:54

I am dark brown, faded brown and grey/silver roots very visible. I am using this opportunity to not dye, although I have a stock of dyes still.

I do hate the severe contrast on my parting. I use Superdrug root spray in brown, just a quick blast on the worst of the parting. I found if I apply it to still damp hair, it lasts even longer, actually through another shampoo and conditioner. It's only £2 at the moment, so a good temporary fix.

I have trimmed my fringe, not perfect but fine for me.

Hetty58 Sat 25-Apr-20 09:32:36

Are you missing your hairdresser? Um - no!

When you think about it, fretting about hair is so weird - under the circumstances.

My late husband, faced with chemotherapy and little chance of survival, seemed only concerned about losing his hair.

There's a tendency to focus on one small detail - rather than face up to a major threat. It explains the panic buying of loo roll, too!

BradfordLass73 Sat 25-Apr-20 08:55:55

I used to look like a fairy
Now, I fear, I am hairy
In lockdown for weeks
The bonce needs some tweaks
And that's why I'm looking so glary

Marmight Fri 24-Apr-20 09:01:48

I’ve just read that hair dressers probably won’t be allowed to reopen for another 6 months! ? Same for beauty salons. Another couple of months and I may have to take the plunge and find the scissors.......

NfkDumpling Wed 15-Apr-20 20:16:35

I usually keep mine really short - Judi Dench-ish. I'm already heading fast towards more Camilla Parker-Bowles. I fear hairdressers will be late in re-opening so goodness knows what it'll look like by then.

watermeadow Wed 15-Apr-20 14:56:54

Missing her? No. I resent paying for haircuts (£15) and would never spend more. I have this ingrained belief that even looking into a mirror is vanity.

Laughterlines Wed 15-Apr-20 14:18:15

Beware

BlueSky Wed 15-Apr-20 09:48:20

Not really as I do my own colouring due to the fact that I seem to react to hairdressers' tints. Only have it trimmed twice a year, once at Christmas and once for the summer holidays.

Missfoodlove Tue 14-Apr-20 23:20:32

My first ever home dye went really well.
ESalon bespoke colour applied by my husband.
Feel so much better?

luluaugust Tue 14-Apr-20 16:50:40

Luckily not using a colour now so no problem there. Hairdresser phoned this morning offering to pencil in a date for mid June, I thought this was enterprising of him. I took him up on the offer although of course who knows whether we will be out and about then.

grandMattie Mon 13-Apr-20 17:36:33

My hair is now white, so no colour problems. Curiously, I’ve been growing my hair to hide hearing aides, so I’m lucky. I could do with a tidy up, but it’s ok.

Floradora9 Mon 13-Apr-20 17:28:28

I cut my hair this morning . I washed it then combed it forward and trimmed it then trimmed the sides as well . Cannot reach the back but DH says it looks OK .I am quite pleased with it .Luckily I stopped colouring it years ago .

pollyperkins Mon 13-Apr-20 07:59:39

I agree Gabriella that too frequent washing is bad for the hair. Normally I wash my hair twice a week when I go swimming but at the moment I’m doing it once a week and it’s fine. Doesn't get greasy at all. I’ve never dyed it so no problem there - it’s a sort of silvery grey and not unattractive I think. I don't like the look of badly dyed hair. I have it cut short and layered as it’s so thick- fortunately had it done just before lockdown so still ok. Will probably have to trim the fringe some time but will leave it otherwise.

Alittlemadam Mon 13-Apr-20 07:34:52

I had planned to have my hair cut 4 April as it would have given my time to colour before going on holiday good Friday. Hence to say neither have happened and top is longer than ever before. I'm sure its growing faster than ever knowing it cant be cut anytime soon

NfkDumpling Fri 10-Apr-20 17:59:27

I was thinking the same Pitt. Perhaps a nurse with a previous career?

Pittcity Fri 10-Apr-20 17:44:34

It looks like the Chief Nursing Officer has had a haircut in the last week.

Bridgeit Fri 10-Apr-20 12:58:48

Of course you can Milly, if you like it don’t let anyone put you off.
I have fine hair so attempts to have it long don’t really work as I inevitably have to tie it up, thus defeating the object.
I am going to give up on the dye though ,Silver Ohhps sorry Grey can look very elegant, not quite sure what to do with the face though??‍?

Milly Fri 10-Apr-20 12:12:25

I keep wondering what my hair would look like long, start to grow it then look at other old ladies in this Development and think old ladies have short hair and lose my nerve and have it cut, but now I have marvellous excuse !!

Similarly colour, I dye mine but others don't so thought cant get dye so better go grey, then found online supplier of my Nice and Easy 73, so not going grey after all.

Why cant old ladies have long hair?