(48 Posts)
Dottynan Thu 09-Apr-20 10:03:53

Should they offer to donate it to a National Health Service charity

suziewoozie Thu 09-Apr-20 10:33:03

Have you read the link trisher this £10000 is COVID related

Nico97 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:34:23

Ditto all suziewoozie said.

watermeadow Thu 09-Apr-20 10:34:41

£10000 extra for working from home is totally unjustified. Millions of people are WFH, often with children to look after at the same time, and get nothing extra.
This is the party which refused a pay rise to public sector workers, including the NHS, then cheered about it.

suziewoozie Thu 09-Apr-20 10:43:32

There are two issues here - one is that it is not a pay rise. The second issue which is quite different is that of an increase of upto ( not of) £10000 for any increase in expenses owing to working from home. There is IPSA guidance on this ( which I can’t find online) but if an MP does spend extra because of this, why shouldn’t they be reimbursed? Hint - the answer is not because other workers are being treated badly by their employers. That’s actually a third issue and an important one.

trisher Thu 09-Apr-20 10:58:45

Yes suziewoozie so they got an increase of £2000 on April 1st plus extra expenses, they now get up to £10000. Yet there are public sectors workers working from home who get nothing. Not even 1 pay rise. No one is going to come out of this financialy better (with the exception of JRM and his mates) why should MPs?

SadafGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 09-Apr-20 11:00:43

Hi all, just a quick fact check on this one - the 10k is for possible expenses for working from home which have been added to MP's office budgets and not a pay rise. smile

Pantglas2 Thu 09-Apr-20 11:28:25

A pig with lipstick on is still a pig. No other public sector workers are getting extra money for working from home so why should they? they’ll have saved on other costs like coffees/lunches.

SirChenjin Thu 09-Apr-20 11:42:59

Oh goody - can I get an additional £10k for working from home?

I can already make a tax claim for things like electricity, gas and business calls - can’t they simply do what the rest of us do?

trisher Thu 09-Apr-20 12:10:07

Just think how much they are saving on travel expenses. They will have shut down their London base, so only one set of household expenses. The rest of the country are payng for their own house to be heated all day, their own electricty to power their laptop and surviving. Why are they different? Let's give everyone working at home an expense sheet and then they can claim as well. It's the only fair way.

Oldwoman70 Thu 09-Apr-20 12:17:39

If this is for expenses, surely they will have to provide receipts to justify the claim. As they are not travelling their claim for travel expenses will reduce.

trisher Thu 09-Apr-20 12:26:28

This money can be used for all sorts of things.
According to The Times, the cash can be spent on laptops and printers for MPs and their staff, or to pay for additional electricity, heating and phone bills.

It comes on top of the existing £26,000 a year that MPs can each claim to cover their office costs.
I know lots of people working in the public sector who would love a new laptop but can't have one because the isn't the cash. Amazing isn't it!

sodapop Thu 09-Apr-20 12:33:11

The IPSA never seem to say extra money is not necessary for MPs. Seems quite farcical that this authority even exists.
The expenses increase will go through regardless of public feeling.

suziewoozie Thu 09-Apr-20 13:21:51

Yes soda and so it should. It’s upto IPSA to monitor any claims.

SueDonim Thu 09-Apr-20 13:39:48

My dd works for the public sector. She’s not receiving any extra for her heating, power etc.

I find it hard to believe that any MP doesn't already have everything to hand for WFH and I hope none of them claims it.

Hetty58 Thu 09-Apr-20 13:42:07

It's completely the wrong time to even consider it!

Dinahmo Thu 09-Apr-20 14:01:34

As we are heading towards summer and longer days their heating and lighting costs aren't going to be too high but maybe the cost of air con will increase? However they should be putting in documented claims like everyone else who gets an expense allowance.

When my BIL was alive (he had Parkinsons) a carer came in morning and evening to get him up and then get hims ready for bed. The carer dealt with the same people every day and so his mileage was pretty much the same every day. He had to submit claims for mileage which the company in question reduced for VAT and a further reduction because "everybody fiddles mileage" Since he wasn't registered for VAT and didn't give the company petrol bills (which as he was claiming mileage, there was no need for)} the company could not claim for mileage on the VAT. He ended up out of pocket which was outrageous IMO. I did offer to contact HMRC but he was worried about losing his job.

GagaJo Thu 09-Apr-20 14:25:28

Urmstongran. And yet uk teachers have had laptops phased out (schools tend to have desktops in classrooms now) so have to use their own technology! Teachers get paid a lot less than MPs!

Urmstongran Thu 09-Apr-20 15:01:50

Not so sure about that GagaJo?
Our youngest daughter is a teacher and I’ve seen her on her own laptop many a time at the kitchen island, planning lessons, answering work related emails etc.

As for pay, she earns £41k a year. Which is about half of what an MP earns. Mind you she doesn’t have to stay such long hours to vote late at night in the HoC!

trisher Thu 09-Apr-20 15:09:43

I had a laptop when I retired from teaching 13 years ago. I would imagine someone is still using it. Schools don't get expenses!!

GagaJo Thu 09-Apr-20 18:48:43

As in her own personal laptop Urmstongran? That was my point. Schools used to provide them but don't anymore. At least, the last 2 UK schools I worked in didn't. My private school does.

Last school but one got a virus which wrecked not only my personal laptop but also my external hard drive with all my resources from at least the last 10 years.

maddyone Thu 09-Apr-20 18:53:58

What suziewoozie said.

EllanVannin Thu 09-Apr-20 19:10:04

Buy a laptop and send the bill to Westminster stating that you're working from home.