Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you pay a subscription to keep GN going in these difficult times?

(175 Posts)
Kandinsky Thu 09-Apr-20 11:14:07

Heard that mumsnet are asking for financial help from members ( £5.00 per month subscription or £50 a year )
to help them through the current crisis.
I guess smaller online forums are just as likely to go under as any other business if the situation continues for months.

What are your thoughts?

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 09-Apr-20 12:25:40

No Sodapop, it would simply mean you would see far fewer ads. At the moment the whole site, features, competitions, forums etc are all free and we hope to continue that way.
If you are interested in following a similar model to MN where you have the option of paying a fee and seeing fewer ads, we are very happy to look into that for you. But if not, that's fine too.

NotSpaghetti Thu 09-Apr-20 12:26:17

No, I wouldn’t pay for Gransnet. Sorry.

trisher Thu 09-Apr-20 12:28:52

No sorry, I would wave 'goodbye' sadly but manage without..

notanan2 Thu 09-Apr-20 12:29:42

Notanan2 - we deal very promptly with any sensitive reports so perhaps there's been a misunderstanding there and it was dealt with directly with the user you reported? It wouldn't be right to go into details of individual circumstances but if there's a report you think we've missed please email us and we'll take another look

I would never ask for or expect any feedback from such a report other than confirmation it has been seen. And the stock emails we get saying so come days later.

I have also seen posta that were a safeguarding risk, identifying vulnerable children, reported by multiple users, left up hours or even days before being deleted.

There seems to be no triage system to make sure that immediate safeguarding reports get seen urgently

So you tell me what is the upper time limit that a report like that will wait to be seen?

Greeneyedgirl Thu 09-Apr-20 12:31:35

I would rather GN was totally subscription. I can't stand the ads and won't watch live commercial tv because of them.

Gemini17892 Thu 09-Apr-20 12:33:06

It’s beginning to remind me of Big Brother. OMG another blue paragraph.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 09-Apr-20 12:34:23

Hi Trisher. You wouldn't have to do without. smile

Just to be clear, the site will continue as is - FREE.

Mumsnet is currently offering an OPTIONAL paid-for option and the difference with that model is that those who sign up will see fewer ads.

Gemini17892 Thu 09-Apr-20 12:35:22

?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Apr-20 12:35:33

notanan GCHQ are very quick off the mark when they are being criticised. Amazing how the posts you talk about take days to be sorted, and yet a thread I started yesterday was taken down before I could draw breath.

No explanation except it contravened guidelines I have looked and looked and can’t find a guidelines that banned my subject. I even looked on MN guidelines with the same result. That’s why I think things are getting out of hand and why I won’t be subscribing.

Pittcity Thu 09-Apr-20 12:36:41

I don't find the ads intrusive so would stick with free GN.
If there were other options eg. a limited time edit button I might reconsider.

notanan2 Thu 09-Apr-20 12:48:51

Whitewavemark I can only conclude that GN is only part time moderated. In which case there needs to be some sort of disclaimer with the times on it, and some sort of signposting re what to do in their "off" time if posts are exposing vulnerable peoples identities etc.

Either that or they just dont triage and "get to it when they get to it"

Rufus2 Thu 09-Apr-20 12:50:00

Three thoughts!

1. If GN is a registered charity, subs would be tax-deductible!
2 When sentenced to do "time" in the Sin Bin, would there be a pro rata refund of subs?
3. No thanks!

annep1 Thu 09-Apr-20 12:56:23

I would miss the word games but not worth a subscription.

SalsaQueen Thu 09-Apr-20 12:57:03

No, never

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 09-Apr-20 12:58:47

notanan2 The post you're referring was dealt with immediately at the time - as all sensitive posts are. The forums are moderated every day, including bank holidays and weekends.

notanan2 Thu 09-Apr-20 13:00:35

Can you quantify "immediately" and explain how the identifyable safeguard risk posts, which you eventually deleted, took so long to be assessed?

Jane10 Thu 09-Apr-20 13:01:54

It's a no from me. I'd be offski!

notanan2 Thu 09-Apr-20 13:02:41

Also do you think it is right that a poster who is immefiately worried that another poster is actively suicidal, should be left for so long before recieving confirmation that someone has seen the report?

BlueBelle Thu 09-Apr-20 13:03:50

No thanks I don’t have any spare cash so as much as I d regret it I d have to find another forum and it would be goodbye from me

janeainsworth Thu 09-Apr-20 13:07:56

No.

Maggiemaybe Thu 09-Apr-20 13:08:47

I don’t even notice the ads, so would just stick with the free service.

Some posts are very crabby. I’ve always found GNHQ to be quick to respond to the few issues I’ve raised and to be friendly and good-natured about it. I very much appreciate the free competitions and book club as well. MN used to offer free books, but that stopped ages ago.

If it ever came down to a choice between paying a small subscription or leaving, I think I’d pay up.

Toadinthehole Thu 09-Apr-20 13:09:59

Greeneyedgirl, why don’t you tape all your tv programs and then fast forward the adverts? In fact, our present set top box goes through most of them in three pushes of a button, and then maybe a quick fast forward. We haven’t watched any adverts since the video was invented!

Oldwoman70 Thu 09-Apr-20 13:10:34

Many GNs are on a limited budget - a subscription to GN would be an additional expense they couldn't afford so would lose what could be their only contact.

I am pleased Lara has confirmed GN will remain subscription free.

I belong to another forum which ran into financial difficulties and they asked for donations, whilst leaving the forum free to use. Those who could afford to donated and kept the forum afloat.

Maggiemaybe Thu 09-Apr-20 13:10:53

I think I’d pay up.

Mind you, it looks as though I’d be talking to myself. grin

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Apr-20 13:11:29

??