Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you pay a subscription to keep GN going in these difficult times?

(175 Posts)
Kandinsky Thu 09-Apr-20 11:14:07

Heard that mumsnet are asking for financial help from members ( £5.00 per month subscription or £50 a year )
to help them through the current crisis.
I guess smaller online forums are just as likely to go under as any other business if the situation continues for months.

What are your thoughts?

Elegran Sat 11-Apr-20 11:17:08

No-one else among the men seems to want to be segregated in the Shed either, Cunco, any more than most of the female posters want to be segregated in an all-women purdah. It is only a few who would rather keep Gn under apart-hate.

If men wish to become members and talk to a mixed group, about various topics and at varying levels of seriousness, then they will join, without major well-intentioned engineering works to get them in. I know I wouldn't rush to join a mostly-male group which had been redesigned to appeal to the "little woman" as though we were a separate species with completely different brains.

Elegran Sat 11-Apr-20 11:18:56

You picked the wrong racehorse for your username, but at least it wasn't Red Rum!

Davidhs Sat 11-Apr-20 12:18:15

Whatever you do you arent going to get a significant number of men contribute to a forum like this, it doesn’t matter what you call it. The other forums I look at, cars, sport, flying, and other activity type forums are almost all male, very few women contribute. My own interests coincide with many threads on Gransnet, it does not bother me one jot if all the others are female, maybe I’m not a typical man.

Regarding subscriptions, I didn’t realize the sites were so lucrative, that is only because it is a very active forum, subscription may well put more cash into the owners pockets.
However payed for sites have a much lower click rate, I don’t find the advertising intrusive so it’s free for me, I don’t really understand why so many companies pay to advertise online, because I accidentally click an advert quite often but very rarely click intentionally, they often pay per click.

Rufus2 Sat 11-Apr-20 12:20:35

Rufus I do hope you got some medical advice for your male member
Sodapop You are so cheeky! We haven't even been properly introduced, but no matter; I'm very broad-minded and thank you for your concern. smile
. Yes! It's OK now after its prostate reduction procedure a few years ago and the doc. is always saying how remarkably healthy it looks considering its age!
Is there anything else you need to know? You've only got to ask! wink
Good Health wine

Cunco Sat 11-Apr-20 13:28:50

Moderately 'Adult' humour alert

Elegran As you say, I could have chosen worse. The racing authorities try their best to keep rude names off the race card but, as Racing Post reported, sometimes naughty owners confound them. 'Among the ones to make it through are Two In The Pink (don't even think about googling it), Wear The Fox Hat (try an Irish accent) and, admittedly this one in South Africa, Hoof Hearted (say it at commentator speed)'.

FarNorth Sat 11-Apr-20 13:52:24

Heartbreaking PMs really? grin

Elegran Sat 11-Apr-20 14:35:57

Cunco The cleverness of the names chosen by racehorse owners is impressive. When I was a child, one of my grandfathers always went to Brighton races (they lived within walking distance of the course) and before setting out would study prices, form and genetics in the racing paper. I loved to hear the names of the horses' parents - some of the combinations of names were so ingenious. One I remember was Pearl Cottage, who ancestors and descendants were all kinds of jewels and cottages and other kinds of houses.

Elegran Sat 11-Apr-20 14:47:45

Now I remember more - Airborne, by Precipitation out of Bouquet.

Rufus2 Fri 17-Apr-20 14:20:45

If men wish to become members and talk to a mixed group, about various topics
Elegran It's called "social intercourse" and of course real men will participate at any time; you've got to visit the Shed first though! Dare you!. grin

Grandad this thread has been inactive for a week! What's going on? None of the named Grandads has visited the Shed lately; of course, it's the dreaded virus!! sad
Good Health.

Grandad1943 Fri 17-Apr-20 14:50:08

Rufus2 there can only be "social intercourse" chat on the open forum. Should it be that the some of the good ladies of this forum visited Grandads Shed to talk to us males in such "closed circumstances" they would undoubtedly be talked about over the entire forum.

There has to be "standards" Rufus, we cannot leave ourselves open to accusations of bringing ladies into ill repute on this forum. ???

Elegran Fri 17-Apr-20 16:48:27

I have visited the shed in the past - can't remember what the chat was about. It didn't seem to be a hotbed of iniquity. Rather staid, in fact. However, there was a bit of disquiet among the gentlemen on another occasion at being "invaded" in what they considered their private sanctum, and not being one to push myself forward I have not posted there since. Whenever I peek in through the window, it is empty, only the mice are in there, searching in vain for biscuit crumbs and KitKat wrappers.

Which reminds me, why do mice have an obsession with expanded polystyrene? I hadn't been in the garage for several weeks, but when I went out there I found heaps of granules chewed off some pieces of polystyrene I was keeping for insulating the greenhouse. It has no nutritional value so I don't know what attracts them to it. Nothing else was chewed.

Grandad1943 Fri 17-Apr-20 16:59:44

Elegran, Grandads shed would be vacated at this point in time as when constructed the GN management did not build it large enough so that social distancing could be carried out. ?

Elegran Fri 17-Apr-20 17:12:05

Surely the grandads could do a bit of DIY and enlarge it? They could use long bits of timber, those lengths the builders get delivered by crane, and hold each end - no need to get any closer together than that.

Alexa Fri 17-Apr-20 17:14:42

No, I would not pay for Gransnet.

Grandad1943 Fri 17-Apr-20 17:26:43

Elegran I firmly believe that I or Rufus2 along with the other limited male members of this forum are not in any any way competent do it yourself people.

Therefore before we even attempt to carry out the enlargement of Grandads shed we would have to demand that the GN management build an accident and emergency unit within the forum.

The cost of the above would surely bring about the compulsory introduction of subscription membership to the forum.

Well, that's our excuse and we will stick to it. ???

Elegran Fri 17-Apr-20 18:37:51

Perhaps you could call for assistance from the many female GN members who are the main DIYers in their households? As well as speeding up the renovation of the Shed, that could be a useful way of building bridges across the male/female divide.

BradfordLass73 Fri 17-Apr-20 22:50:54

Nope, I wouldn't pay. I'm not eligible for any prizes and not living in UK, whilst being a HUGE bonus in real life, means I don't really understand why so many posters here have to snipe, backbite, complain and sneak on others.

It's like being back at school with adolecents sometimes.
"Please miss, Maureen's chewing gum!"

Having said that, there are many posters who are always good value and I only stay on GN for the sake of reading their lovely contributions.

Rufus2 Sat 18-Apr-20 05:07:49

I found heaps of granules chewed off some pieces of polystyrene
Elegran Are you sure your "significant other" hadn't been in there earlier, scratching his head, working out what to do with all the mess, thereby shedding heaps of dandruff everywhere! grin

Rufus2 Sat 18-Apr-20 05:13:47

I only stay on GN for the sake of reading their lovely contributions
Bradford Thank you! You're too kind! smile

Grandad1943 Sat 18-Apr-20 07:38:03

BradfordLass73 Quote [ I only stay on GN for the sake of reading their lovely contributions.] End Quote.

Oh, thank you BradfordLass, Rufus and I never realised we were so appreciated.

But it is wonderfull to know. ?

Grandad1943 Sat 18-Apr-20 08:06:12

I feel that us males on the forum would be prepared to take up Elegrans offer and allow the good ladies of the forum to enlarge Grandads Shed so as to allow social distancing to be carried out in there.

However, I am still very concerned with regard to having Grandads shed as a both male and female venue. In that, I have no doubts that GNHQ will introduce subscription membership to the forum, and the following scenario could then come about.

Suppose one or two good ladies of this forum were already visiting Grandads Shed when one of us males on the forum was seen to be paying his subscription to the GN management just prior to entering the shed. Just think how that might be interpreted

In such a circumstance the Vice Squad would undoubtedly arrive within minutes.

No.... it is most defiantly a non-starter ???

Annana Sat 18-Apr-20 09:09:40

Hi, Although more or less retired , I don’t have much free time for myself and don’t contribute often in terms of posts. However, as I also live abroad , I really value the link with GN which gives me an insight into how we are , how we think and allows you to express yourself with others. Even when we disagree.
Initially, I actually almost dismissed the GN forum, thinking that some “old biddies” - sorry, but imagined myself apart as a more modern 71 year old, ouch- were discussing sweet nothings, but have been humbled. In fact , so much so, that I would be willing to contribute a small sum, if it meant the survival of it.

Elegran Sat 18-Apr-20 13:13:35

Rufus My "significant other" is as unlikely to have been in the garage in the last eight (exactly) years as your own. I wish he had been there!

Rufus2 Sat 18-Apr-20 15:10:42

Elegrans offer and allow the good ladies of the forum to enlarge Grandads Shed so as to allow social distancing

Grandad No way! We'd never hear the last of it! shock
I may be wrong, but I think Elegran has been watching that TV comedy "The Plank" with Eric Sykes and Arthur Lowe and is inviting us to audition for a GN production.
I'll be Eric, we look very similar, he was an Oldham lad which is close enough to my home town, Manchester; you're Arthur (aka Capt. Mainwaring), the money man!
I suppose the toilets will have to be Unisex! and outside!? hmm

I've never visited The Shed. It seems a place to avoid
Cunco Why?
The ladies won't mug you! We'll look after you! grin.
Cheers