Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you pay a subscription to keep GN going in these difficult times?

(174 Posts)
Kandinsky Thu 09-Apr-20 11:14:07

Heard that mumsnet are asking for financial help from members ( £5.00 per month subscription or £50 a year )
to help them through the current crisis.
I guess smaller online forums are just as likely to go under as any other business if the situation continues for months.

What are your thoughts?

gillybob Thu 09-Apr-20 11:15:56

I’m not sure I could take on any more debt right now . DH and I have zero income at the minute so probably not . sad

timetogo2016 Thu 09-Apr-20 11:18:57

Absolutly not.

eazybee Thu 09-Apr-20 11:24:17

Having read the continuing unpleasant comments on threads about Boris Johnson's illness, no I would not pay money to read them.

Elegran Thu 09-Apr-20 11:27:38

But would you pay to be in contact with the thousands of other posters who have NOT posted so insensitively about reports of someone's illness, Eazybee? Or would you throw out the baby with the bathwater and miss the rest of Gransnet - the good parts?

Nortsat Thu 09-Apr-20 11:29:41

I would pay a small monthly amount to help during the current difficulties - maybe £1 per month ...

GagaJo Thu 09-Apr-20 11:30:41

How is GN funded?

FarNorth Thu 09-Apr-20 11:32:28

We all take for granted the flow of information and the contact with others that is provided online.
It all has to be paid for, somehow.
Think back to how it was before the internet existed, and put that together with lockdown.

notanan2 Thu 09-Apr-20 11:32:57

Hell no! At least MN is moderated.
When I have reported GN posts for welfare concerns (e.g. posters expressing immediate suicidal thoughts) GN didnt get round to looking at it for DAYS

At least MN responds to posts reported for welfare concerns immediately and has things in place to deal with them properly

GrannyGravy13 Thu 09-Apr-20 11:32:59

I am still getting adverts continually popping up, so they are obviously getting revenue from them.

GagaJo Thu 09-Apr-20 11:34:35

Exactly GG13. Unless they've lost whatever funding they have, why do they need donations? Not entirely sure why they can't work from home, either. Isn't it ALL online work for them? (Different issue, I know).

Are they funded from the same pot as Mumsnet?

notanan2 Thu 09-Apr-20 11:34:56

How is GN funded?
Advertising revenue.

MN has made an ABSOLUTE FORTUNE out of its posters over the years. It would be nothing without its posters. Theyve had a dip in demand for their advert spots and now want the posters to take the hit

GagaJo Thu 09-Apr-20 11:39:48

Ah, thank you notanan2.

I MAY be prepared to pay a nominal amount. But it's just another social media site and there are others available.

notanan2 Thu 09-Apr-20 11:45:04

The objections on MN are that the features that are being offered with "premium" are features that MN previouslu said werent logistically visble back when money was rolling in from other sources.

IMO they will lose more money than they make with this scheme. MN wont be the melting pot that is loved/hated and browsed by all sorts from journalists to celebs to apparently royalty.

It'll be a little boring clique

MerylStreep Thu 09-Apr-20 11:45:23

Absolutely not. I will not elaborate as that would probably be breeching forum guidelines ?

chris8888 Thu 09-Apr-20 11:48:47

No sorry I would not.

notanan2 Thu 09-Apr-20 11:52:42

I mean in GN did what MN have done it would translate as the following:

Hi everyone, you know all of the glitches and annoying aspects of GN, well turns out they were all easily fixed all along, we just didnt bother. But now we will fix all that for you if you pay us

Irishlady Thu 09-Apr-20 11:55:12

Another NO here.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 09-Apr-20 11:55:13

No I would not..

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 09-Apr-20 12:04:57

Hi everyone,

Mumsnet has moved to an optional paid-for subscription. Those who sign up will see fewer ads. The free model is still available if you don't wish to sign up to the paid-for option.

If this is something gransnetters would like to have as an option please do let us know and we can take a look at it.

To answer some of your other questions, we do generate income from advertising and as most of you are aware, most organisations' marketing budgets have been cut quite dramatically recently. We would love to keep the site going for all of you who find it useful and a good way of keeping connected.

Notanan2 - we deal very promptly with any sensitive reports so perhaps there's been a misunderstanding there and it was dealt with directly with the user you reported? It wouldn't be right to go into details of individual circumstances but if there's a report you think we've missed please email us and we'll take another look.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Apr-20 12:06:49

If we pay a subscription, does that mean we can have influence on the rules?

I would be keen as I think things in GCHQ have got out of hand lately.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Apr-20 12:08:28

Otherwise the answer from me is a firm NO

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 09-Apr-20 12:12:02

'Fraid not, WW. grin We don't have many guidelines and they are there for a reason. Other forums will have similar. We can't say we get it right all of the time but we do try to put things right when we don't. But please also bear in mind that every decision we make one way or the other, someone is going to disagree with.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Apr-20 12:14:58

Hmm

sodapop Thu 09-Apr-20 12:21:08

It seems that we would pay a subscription admittedly not huge but have no say in the running of GN and still have some ads.
Would there be an AGM or a committee to promote the views of those people who are paid up members ?