Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Good Friday

(86 Posts)
12Michael Fri 10-Apr-20 06:14:24

Good Morning Everyone,
Its bright and dry here at the moment in Brackley .
No trip to Supermarket today , but will try and do something in my flat during this lockdown .
I got some jersey potatoes and steamed them yesterday , but outside my flat a past tenant grew her own herbs ,and the mint survives , maybe another day.
Hopefully a quiet day but , not stressing out due to it yet , it has not effected me mentally either ,as I look ahead to pleasures to come of getting out and about .
Mick

EllanVannin Fri 10-Apr-20 08:04:50

Good Morning All x.
Orange sky again---I could definitely get used to this.

Woke to the sound of------police/ambulance sirens in the distance. Why ,when there's no traffic on the roads ? It went on for ages as though they were lost.
Much rather hear the birds ! Still, being urgent it would have been a comfort to the recipient.

My usual fish day today but with mash, peas and parsley sauce instead of chips. Fruit and ice-cream---that'll do me.

I'm not particularly full of the joys of Spring today as the rowan-tree up the vale is sending its particles/ spores up my nose and I have to stuff tissue up my nostrils to stop it dripping everywhere. sad What a nuisance !

Binmen here decided not to strike so thankfully will be emptying them either today or tomorrow morning as I put them out last night.

My D was disappointed that her friend from New York won't be here as arranged. I know they were both looking forward to seeing each other. D usually goes to her for her holidays just outside Albany----home like a ranch ! Such a shame but there are other times.

Hope everyone doesn't struggle too much through the day when we'd normally see families and children. Make the most of this drop of good weather as it's going to change sad
Finish the gardening jobs !

Best Good Friday wishes to everyone, stay safe and well xx

Marydoll Fri 10-Apr-20 08:07:08

Good morning all from a dull, but mild Glasgow. It's 5C, but hopefully it will heat up.

Another day in the isolation unit! We laughed yesterday when we received an Easter Card from DS2 and his fiancée He has never sent an Easter card in his life! It read, Have a happy isolated Easter!!

We usually have a family dinner at Easter, with all the trimmings, but of course that's not possible. I asked DD if she could get a chicken for me at the supermarket, whenever she went. She phoned from the supermarket to say that Morrisons had small turkeys and they were only £4, would I like one. I asked her to check again, as I have never seen a fresh turkey at £4.?
She insisted it was. Of course I said yes, thinking that this was a real bargain and must be because it was the end of the day.
She arrived with the turkey and deposited it on the back doorstep and retreated to the bottom of the garden, saying she had to make a confession to make.
She had misread the label and I knew what was coming. The turkey was £4 a kilo!
The turkey was large enough to feed the whole street.
You are all invited to a virtual Easter dinner, with all the trimmings! ?

I hope to potter about in the garden, just enjoying the peace and quiet. We had another day of phone calls from my SIL, about her Kindle, at one point I had to hand the phone to DH, as she had been talking non stop for ten minutes through my instructions and I was getting very stressed.
DH spent ages hours helping her. At one point after asking her to do certain things, he realised she didn't even have the Kindle in front of her switched on. At least DH knows now, how difficult it all is.
She phoned in the afternoon to say it was sorted. She hadn't registered the new Kindle, that's why nothing was working. I thought DH was going to explode! ?

The phone rang again and we were going to ignore it, but DH thought we had better answer.
It was another friend telling me, that after a friend had spent the week battling a chest infection, she had been taken to hospital and diagnosed with Covid 19. So I had the task of letting our other friend know what had happened.
Another acquaintence died from it at the beginning of the week. The virus is spreading like wildfire in our wee town. It's really alarming.

Hoping everyone has a lovely Easter weekend, bearing in mind, we won't be celebrating with our families.
We are going to watch a Good Friday service, streamed live from a local church. It all seems very strange, as I'm usually involved in the preparations.
A year ago today, I was taken to hospital with an allergic reaction to new RA medication and ended up in Coronary Care.
Here I am, still here a year later. Life is not so bad after all! grin
Enjoy the sun, all my southerner friends! ?

Ginny42 Fri 10-Apr-20 08:10:02

Good morning Mick and everyone from a mild but slightly misty Cheshire. It was lovely to read you're feeling upbeat Mick. Jersey royals! Enjoy them.

I placed an order on Morrison's about 3 weeks ago and kept going back to check for a delivery slot. Late last night I just thought I'd check and there was one for next Tuesday. I was so shocked it took me a while to figure out what to do next! Some things unavailable, but no great problem. I'll take what I can get.

A walk in the woods this morning keeping great distances from my neighbours (can't walk in the woods alone) calling to one another. Looking forward to a Zoom chat with my DD and DGS later.

Had a fright yesterday when my housebound friend appeared to be very disorientated saying very odd things on the phone, so I called her GP's surgery. The GP was AMAZING. There is no other word to describe how he responded to my call and after speaking with her, he had arranged for antibiotics to be delivered, for the district nurse to call and then called me to reassure me with what he'd done. You can't get better than that.

Have the best day you can and stay safe everyone. {flowers] for all.

Urmstongran Fri 10-Apr-20 08:13:07

Good morning everyone from Malaga where the sun is shining! A gorgeous day forecast. This is more like it!

Here are a couple of photos taken just now to share. I will post them separately as I don’t think the WiFi signal will be strong enough to include them!

One from our front door with the beautiful view of the mountains and where I do my walks (ha!) up and down the landing. 32 steps and turn.

The other is the view of the Mediterranean from our little balcony. It’s a ten minute walk to get there and I can’t wait to be allowed to walk along the paseo when we are allowed out!

Hope GF is kind to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

LullyDully Fri 10-Apr-20 08:14:45

Good morning from Hampshire, it is sunny and looks good.

Just the same weather on 10 April in 1976 when we got married. As we can't celebrate properly. I painted a card, we then had a piece of paper to write 5 things about our marriage together. We folded them up inside and opened each other's letter this morning. Who says love is dead after 44 years?
It is also son no 2's 40 th birthday so we will phone him later.

LullyDully Fri 10-Apr-20 08:16:27

So sorry about your awful news Marydoll

Auntieflo Fri 10-Apr-20 08:20:17

Good morning Michael, Annie and all.
Another lovely start to the day, what a blessing these sunny days are, while we are living through unusual times.
We had a Face Time with GD and GGS yesterday, as usual he wanted to know about 'cake'. I have promised to make a special one for him when this is all over.
Our friends and neighbours have been so good, shopping for us, and keeping in touch.
I did a bit of gardening yesterday, and enjoyed the warmth of the sun. We have extra black recycling bins filled with compost,and last year I grew some tomatoes. This year I am trying potatoes, after finding a few sprouting ones. Fingers crossed that they do something, even if I am a bit late in planting them.
The Thursday Big Clap was good last night, a couple came out, who have not done so before, and we made a goodly noise all together.
I made a meat pie for supper last night and with the leftover pastry, made some jam tarts, so gave half of them to a neighbour whose son is home from Uni, with hollow legs.
As I forgot to take the Hot X buns out of the freezer for breakfast, we shall have them with a cup of tea later this afternoon.
Another bit of pottering in the garden today, a short walk, and something to cook for supper. I have some home made soup that will be lunch and I will defrost a couple of home made rolls.
Sad that there will be no Good Friday gathering in the town today, but we will have an on line service from our Church.

Have a good day one and all, take care and stay safe.

cornergran Fri 10-Apr-20 08:23:12

Morning Mick, morning All from a sunny corner of Somerset. We’re having a bank holiday day off today. So breakfast, a walk before it’s too warm then sit in the garden with our books
a cold drink and maybe an ice cream unearthed from the depths of the freezer. There was a good feeling to our little cul de sac last night, everyone able was out applauding then chatting across the lawns. Please be gentle with yourselves and be careful out there.

Pittcity Fri 10-Apr-20 08:27:01

Good morning from sunny Colchester.
All our neighbours were out clapping and waving last night and I managed to get my regular prescription switched to Superdrug so it will be popped through the letterbox by the postie every month...good!smile
I am sad though that it is DGS2's 5th birthday and we will only see him on a video chat and can't give him a hug.sad
Much love to all and thinking of those with far bigger worries than me xx

Brunette10 Fri 10-Apr-20 08:32:00

Good Morning to all. It's a fine day here in Fife at the moment, no sun but I think it's trying hard to peep out through the clouds. Had a lovely long video chat last night with DD after DGS's were in bed. She was busy sewing and chatting at the same time. It was so lovely to see her relaxed after a busy day working and coping with 2 little boys. As a special treat I ordered flowers flowers from M & S to get delivered to her just to say she was doing a marvellous job, I'm so proud of her. I know she will be very happy to get them. Today is another 'potter' about day with nothing special planned at all, shall wait and see what the day brings. Hope everyone has a great Good Friday - take care and keep safe. flowers

conor Fri 10-Apr-20 08:35:08

Good morning from sunny Essex. Another beautiful day promised so hope to be gardening again. I cut my finger last night as reaching into the dishwasher and it bled for what seemed like ages. I was getting worried but eventually it stopped and is all bandaged up now so hope it doesn't impede my work today!
Had an end of path visit yesterday from DDIL and the grandchildren. It coincided with 3pm "dance on the doorstep" on our local radio station so we spent 3 wonderful minutes all dancing together but apart! A lift for the spirits certainly!
DD finished her 12hour shift yesterday at 8pm and came out of the hospital in time for the Clap for NHS outside. Seems to be louder every week. Hope everyone has a good Good Friday and enjoys the long weekend. Not what we were expecting with so many plans cancelled but we will try to make the best of it xxxxx

Mythbirtthedragon Fri 10-Apr-20 08:35:28

Good morning from east London, bright outside with sun pushing through. (Urmston, where are your pictures, I need some nice views). Can’t believe the nicest weather we’ve had for a while has come during this lockdown. The playing field opposite is empty today; I assume as it’s a bank holiday, it’s locked. Had a busy session at the foodbank yesterday; apparently there are some concerns about getting groceries delivered as only certain supermarkets deliver, even in ‘normal’ times. Slightly worrying my next door neighbour has had someone setting a small fire on their path a couple of times now; she hadn’t reported to the police as no damage was caused apart from a small area of scorching on the garden wall but will now, after I told her there’d been an incident a few months back when it happened to 2-3 houses in the street within half an hour, which the police are aware of. This street is regarded as a low crime area, so it does make me wonder. On that cheery note, hope you have a good day and happy Easter.

Harris27 Fri 10-Apr-20 08:36:41

Need some fresh veg and salad stuff might send son to do it as I’m really nervous now about this. I do have asthma quite bad but under control and don’t want to tempt fate, it was grandsons 6th birthday and we FaceTimed he seemed happy enough. Dreaming of better times and thank you all for keeping me upbeat x

Urmstongran Fri 10-Apr-20 08:39:12

View from the front door this morning.

SusieB50 Fri 10-Apr-20 08:39:24

Good morning to everyone , another beautiful day in East London .This will be a very sad Easter , no DH no family ,no Easter . I decided to change my routine in the mornings . Wake up, get up , and get dressed instead of mooching about as I have been since lock down . So I was downstairs ready to go at 8 this morning and definitely feel brighter . Watching the daily press report last night , this lockdown is going to go on for much longer than they dare to say obviously.
Little things mean a lot nowadays - my order of compost should arrive today ! The garden is beginning to look more loved now , shame only I can see it !

whywhywhy Fri 10-Apr-20 08:39:33

Good morning from a bright and dry Market Harborough.

Sending love and hugs to all who are suffering illness or depressed or just fedup. Stay safe and sane.

Urmstongran Fri 10-Apr-20 08:41:20

And from our little balcony. Lovely.

NannyJan53 Fri 10-Apr-20 08:41:59

Good Morning from another bright and sunny Black Country.

Partner is being furloughed from Tuesday, which will be his last day. He is quite happy about it, albeit financially he will be worse off. He should be retired anyway (69). This will not give him a taster of retirement, as of course we cannot go anywhere!

He went to Aldi at 8am, and rang to say the queue is massive but may as well stay in it now. Reckoned it would be half an hour before he even gets in!

9.00am appointment with Joe Wicks on You Tube, then see how the day progresses. I have no outstanding jobs, as washing and ironing is up to date, windows cleaned, garage tidied, lawn cut. Oh well, may be a day of relaxing in the garden reading my next book smile

So sorry to hear the news about your friend Marydoll flowers

Wishing everyone the best Good Friday possible.

NannyJan53 Fri 10-Apr-20 08:42:59

Lovely photo's Urmston, evokes many happy memories for me !

Sark Fri 10-Apr-20 08:44:40

Happy Anniversary Lullydullyflowers

gillybob Fri 10-Apr-20 08:48:52

Good morning from the NE coast where we have a very grey start to this (not so) Good Friday . Where’s that sunshine we were promised ?

Well we’re cooking with gas again here, thank goodness . That was an expense I could’ve really done without but it was difficult managing without a hob .

I had a surprise call from the ENT consultant I was supposed to see at the end of the month . She said that she would do the consultation over the phone if that was okay and is arranging to send me a months supply of yet more antibiotics . She agreed that a Maxillofacial consultation would’ve been more appropriate (I tried to tell the GP but she wouldn’t have it) and said she would normally just refer me on but was unable to at this time . She is writing to the GP though.

Had a FaceTime chat with DD And little Evie yesterday which was lovely but DD is really struggling to hold it together which I find so upsetting . Poor little Evie must think I have deserted her and won’t understand why grandma is no longer around to play with her. sad

Our street was out clapping last night too and someone was letting fireworks off in the distance. A couple of ships
lying off, we’re blasting their horns. Wonderful .

Just going to go back and catch up with all the news and gossip and enjoy my second cup of tea.

Sending Love and best wishes to all my Gransnet friends,
Gillybob x

Urmstongran Fri 10-Apr-20 08:51:54

I’m just so happy to see the sunshine again! It’s been a bit miserable stuck inside without it. This morning more than makes up for it. I feel lighter somehow.

I shall get out my sun lounger later, apply some SPF and I have an audio book on MP3 player that I brought out with me from our library. I intend to sip a glass of chilled rose wine this afternoon. Small pleasures. We all find them where we can these days. ❤️

gillybob Fri 10-Apr-20 08:52:16

Oh that blue sky Urmstongran sigh.........I’m so jealous as it’s cold and grey here.

Grandmafrench Fri 10-Apr-20 08:53:48

Morning Everyone ? on a very different Good Friday. Nice to see you’re taking care of yourself, Mick. Love Jersey Royals (with or without mint!)

Breakfast in the garden, birds singing their little beaks off and Starlings being so funny and sound like they’re making inappropriate comments at our conversation. Rude!

News and newspapers filled with so much gloom - it’s as if the harsh realities are only just being acknowledged. Much happier and more positive and accepting people on here, though. Decided to ignore that it’s Easter and will tune in same time next year if I’m able. We normally have a huge Easter parade around the town, music and dancing over the weekend, special church services, special food, and festive gatherings in the Port for seafood and cold glasses of rosé. Lots of hugs, 3 kisses and handshakes. Not now ..... and everything remains closed and deserted - of course. Monsieur le President will be speaking to the nation on Monday and it looks like we are facing June before some staggered re-openings after this lockdown.

Ah well.......I shall go on pretending that I’m only 40 and have years ahead of me for jolly celebrations, so absolutely no need to panic over this. Staying safe and well is all. Everything else is secondary to that.

We shall have a really lazy day today. The steamer chair cushions and books are waiting in the garden, we’ve cracked open the new sunscreen and we’ll lie back, breathe in the sea air and be thankful for all that we have.

Speaking of which, maybe close your windows Urmston - we can hear those tums rumbling from here ?. Happy and Safe Easter to all and kind thoughts and hugs from us ??

Anniebach Fri 10-Apr-20 08:53:53

Good morning Auntyflo and all x