Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you buy magazines if so which ones

(60 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 10-Apr-20 10:37:37

I love my mags, I generally buy Take a break, Woman’s Own and Ok all of which I pass on to my neighbour who lives alone and loves to read them

GabriellaG54 Fri 10-Apr-20 12:13:30

Saw that annsixty but the bank doesn't have any decent savings accounts.

Sussexborn Fri 10-Apr-20 12:31:51

I read a lot more magazines since PEMD diagnosis means three months uncomfortable treatment sometimes twice a year. I am an avid book reader but my concentration goes to pot.

I get Yours magazine delivered once a fortnight as part of my Christmas present. Has articles, information and short stories that interest me. Active carers and bereavement groups which seem helpful if you are in that position.

Woman’s Weekly partly for the crosswords and puzzles that are the right level for me. My Weekly possibly because it was the first magazine I used to buy myself? Still read some of the stories. Recently bought People’s Friend which looks very old fashioned but has enough to interest me.

Occasionally Prima is offered with a couple of other glossy magazines included so I buy that.

I used to buy Woman & Woman’s Own but they changed and became “The new postman knocked on the door. He was so good looking. Next thing I knew I was pregnant with triplets”.
The mothers always died in their stories as well - not good when you have a cancer diagnosis!

The glossies now seem to be mainly advertisements for exorbitantly priced clothes, make up, skincare etc. I can’t imagine paying those prices if I won a lottery roll over. Not likely as I don’t buy a ticket. OH does when the amount is high enough! Only 20m will do!???

blueberry1 Fri 10-Apr-20 12:41:02

I used to buy Psychologies magazine but too expensive now.Yours is a good value regular and I sometimes buy Coast magazine, expensive but lovely to see the homes and places on our coast. Occasionally I treat myself to a craft magazine when I see something interesting.

Swizzywhiz Fri 10-Apr-20 12:55:11

I love all the magazines like Ideal Home and House Beautiful but I only buy them once in a blue moon as they’re so expensive. I love looking at all the beautiful rooms and expensive furniture.
A cousin I have never met but who found us through an ancestry site, once sent us as a gift a subscription for Cheshire Life.
It made us laugh no end, as we sat in our humble terraced house, having returned from our usual prowl of Poundland and B & M smile

mumu54 Fri 10-Apr-20 12:57:04

I used to have Gardener's World on subscription but found the glossy paper difficult to read and the smell was very chemical.
I now have a subscription to Amateur Gardening, it is weekly, down to earth and NO glossy paper.

timetogo2016 Fri 10-Apr-20 12:57:24

I don`t buy any mags at all.
I buy the saturday daily mail and thats it.

Anannymous Fri 10-Apr-20 13:19:48

We get Country Walking mag which is lovely but little use at the moment. Sometimes I treat myself to Simply Crochet but I never like to get rid of them just in case there’s something I may need later so I have a pile of them under the bed gathering dust.

annsixty Fri 10-Apr-20 13:41:38

I know that Gabriella but I have had my current account with them for many, many years
I am no longer worried about interest rates, I will be 83 shortly and am not worrying about the future.
My income is adequate and if I want something I buy it.
I realise that younger people do need to watch rates very closely and I count myself lucky.

DanniRae Fri 10-Apr-20 13:42:00

I have Woman's Weekly and Yours on subscription (Christmas gifts from daughter and son).
I would buy Take a Break but I don't want to buy a magazine with something like "I was abused by my cousin's uncle's best friend but nobody believed me etc..........." on the front cover and more of the same inside - I just want to do the puzzles and enter the competitions not be upset by it all.
A bit off thread but my son has arranged for my newspaper to be delivered for the time being to stop me going out and I LOVE having the paper there on the mat when I get up smile

M0nica Fri 10-Apr-20 13:48:06

Magazines are my luxury, well I do not smoke and rarely drink. I have little or no interest in fashion magazines. I buy house magazines: Country Living and Period Home, DH has the New Scientist and the Spectator. We get the magazines from National Trust, English Heritage and Historic Houses Association and another called Listed Home, because we live in one. Then as an enthusiastic amateur archaeologist I get the two 'popular' archaeology magazines, Current Archaeology and British Archaeology.

threexnanny Fri 10-Apr-20 14:00:31

Normally I read magazines in the hairdressers each month. I buy' Woman's Weekly' and 'The Oldie' and swap with a friend who gives me 'Homes and Antiques' as well as any gardening ones she's bought. I used to buy a lot more but find them too expensive other than as an occasional treat.

SueDonim Fri 10-Apr-20 14:20:28

My new favourite magazine is Landscape. It’s a beautifully produced magazine with wonderful photos and snippets of appropriate quotations dotted throughout. It focuses on the passing seasons and each month it showcases a town or area, it describes a pleasant walk to take, has garden tips, recipes, environmental articles. No celebrities or gossip or anything like that!

I get it on subscription using Tesco points.

12Michael Fri 10-Apr-20 15:46:55

I do buy magazines , I read Cycling Weekly as I follow the sport I used to take part in.
I get the TV Choice , but I usually get Rail related magazines as well this as stop due the lockdown , but guessing like many are struggling to find stories or up to date info since the lockdown.
Mick

Dinahmo Fri 10-Apr-20 18:14:07

Homes and Antiques on subscription. My OH has Fortean Times but recently received an email to say that they were suspending publication for the time being.

harrigran Fri 10-Apr-20 18:52:59

I buy puzzle magazines because I don't like to just sit idle in front of the TV.
My sister buys all the monthly glossy magazines and passes them on to me, I rarely find them interesting but it keeps me up to date with what's fashionable.

merlotgran Fri 10-Apr-20 19:06:26

I've cancelled our magazine subscriptions to cut down on deliveries. I've even cancelled my RHS subscription because it was due for renewal and I won't be able to go on any garden visits for the foreseeable. Not just because of coronavirus but DH can no longer cope with long walks.

I used to subscribe to Gardens Illustrated and Country Living but after a year or so they become repetitive.

TerriBull Fri 10-Apr-20 19:11:27

I work my way through a pile at the hairdresser, whatever they've got Red, Elle, Grazia and all the trashy ones like Heat I haven't bought a magazine for years, not even at the airport, waste of money!

SueDonim Fri 10-Apr-20 19:14:39

Merlotgran try Landscape. It’s balm to frayed nerves. www.landscapemagazine.co.uk/

Floradora9 Fri 10-Apr-20 22:16:40

I get loads of magazines on my Kindle Fire from our library. I get so many I find it difficult to keep up with then as they are sent every week or month . I would not waste my money buying them but enjoy a quick read on line .

callgirl1 Fri 10-Apr-20 22:27:08

When I was a child I loved to read my mother`s magazines, Woman`s Weekly, another similar one, and Red Letter. When I was a teenager I bought Valentine, Reveille, and Honey. After I got married it was Woman and Woman`s Own, then abandoned them in favour of Take a Break. Now I just have TV Times on an annual subscription, and I occasionally buy People`s Friend, a nice, friendly magazine.

geekesse Fri 10-Apr-20 22:56:59

The last magazine I bought regularly was Jackie, and that was a l-o-n-g time ago. But I do have a subscription to Private Eye which one of my kids bought me for Christmas.

Nellie098 Sat 11-Apr-20 20:44:35

Don't forget that if you are a library member and you log in to your account you can use RB digital and Press Reader to read lots of magazines online. Some of those mentioned already are on there such as Red, Prima, Good Housekeeping Woman's Own but Press Reader has hundreds of different types of magazines, not to mention most of the newspapers. All this for free.

MiniMoon Sat 11-Apr-20 21:07:02

I buy Simply Crochet. As you can tell, it's my hobby.?
I used to buy Jackie every week too, my, that seems a lifetime ago.

BlueSapphire Sat 11-Apr-20 21:20:41

Same annsixty, I get Good Housekeeping free with my bank account. Not the same as it used to be. Full of smug women who have become successful with their own businesses. Same reason I don't read Woman and Home. Recipes too weird as well..

SueDonim Sat 11-Apr-20 21:32:02

I hate all those stories of women who started their own multi-million pound businesses at their kitchen tables while breastfeeding quads and home-schooling their previous set of quads, and renovating an old barn they picked up for a song which is now worth eleventy-million-pounds, and growing their own organic veg on their smallholding and being the lynchpin of their local community.

Jealous, me? Miaow! grin