Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you buy magazines if so which ones

(60 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 10-Apr-20 10:37:37

I love my mags, I generally buy Take a break, Woman’s Own and Ok all of which I pass on to my neighbour who lives alone and loves to read them

BlueSapphire Sat 11-Apr-20 21:36:30

When I lived in Australia I used to buy the Australian Woman's Weekly, (a monthly magazine!) which was like an old fashioned Good Housekeeping, and I really enjoyed it. I also used to buy Cleo which was was aimed at the younger woman.

annodomini Sat 11-Apr-20 22:17:32

My mother used to take Woman's Journal in the 50s and 60s. It always had a very good serial. Georgette Heyer romances were serialised and I remember at least one by Elizabeth Goudge. It was also good for knitting patterns and in my teens I knitted a lovely 3-ply navy jacket and a dark red chunkier one. When the Journal arrived, I willed my mum to get through it quickly so that I could catch up with the serials and enjoy the short stories. I suppose it was just too good to last. I don't buy any magazines.

Gemini17892 Sat 11-Apr-20 22:34:07

I subscribe to Readly an app which costs £8 a month. You get access to most magazines and up to 5 people can share it. . I use it mainly for knitting and crochet patterns.
It’s not as nice as a magazine coming through the letter box but you can read more of them.
It’s also easy to stop and start your subscription.

TwiceAsNice Sun 12-Apr-20 00:09:45

Magazines are my one “luxury” treat all on subscription which is quite a bit cheaper than buying single copies and of course then they get delivered.

I have Woman’s Weekly and monthly Prima, Good Housekeeping, and Woman and Home .

QuaintIrene Sun 12-Apr-20 00:33:51

I get the Oldie and Fortean Times, both on subscription. I look forward to them being delivered immensely.
I used to buy Spare Rib and Honey.

Txquiltz Sun 12-Apr-20 00:43:01

You will no doubt take this as proof of insanity, but I would give anything for a great big stack of Sainsbury Magazine. I fell in love with it during our years in the U.K.

crazyH Sun 12-Apr-20 00:55:24

Who knows Tx, if you write to them, probably to their PR department, they will be glad to post one to you monthly. No harm in trying.

NotSpaghetti Sun 12-Apr-20 01:10:17

I like Surface, Wallpaper, Interiors and Selvedge among others. I don’t have subscriptions to any of them any more but do read them when I’m in a library that stocks them or occasional purchase when traveling. I also like Vogue, Harper’s, Conde Nast Traveller, Elle Decoration and the National Geographic. These five come regularly into my “news feed”. I look forward to pieces from other magazines there too - Futurism, Dezeen and even Popular Mechanics!

Redsmudgy Sun 12-Apr-20 12:03:34

I used to love magazines, especially Spare Rib and Cosmopolitan. However nowadays you can buy a paperback book from a supermarket for the same price as a magazine.