Gransnet forums

Chat

What is wrong with some people? ?

(33 Posts)
Katek Fri 10-Apr-20 15:13:00

This is a shielded household. I printed a notice to this effect which also stated that all deliveries should be left on the step. I then attached said notice to the front door at eye level.

Why then has a courier just rung the bell and stood on the step - staring right at the notice - waiting for an answer?? I had to shout at him from behind the door.

What bit of ‘self isolation/shielded’ did he not get?
Grrrrrangryangryangry

GabriellaG54 Fri 10-Apr-20 19:46:37

@19.45
That was for SuzannahM

Callistemon Fri 10-Apr-20 20:29:02

Oopsminty this happened some time ago but a parcel I ordered from Amazon was left outside someone's front door,
but obviously not mine as the delivery driver had taken a photo of it sitting there as proof of "delivery".

Callistemon Fri 10-Apr-20 20:31:08

I have only had two deliveries plus one grocery delivery recently but all have stayed at a distance and have been cheerful and friendly.

SpringyChicken Fri 10-Apr-20 20:56:42

Being a deliveryman is a hell of a job, especially at the moment. They all seem to be following the same procedure - knock and step away. He would probably have stepped back when he saw you coming to the door. No harm was done by him, you didn't open the door.

Sussexborn Fri 10-Apr-20 21:08:09

Only had a few parcels but the courier has knocked then left the parcel on the doorstep and stepped back to wait for us to open the door.

Possibly a new courier taken on because of the increase in deliveries and not quite clear on the rules.

SuzannahM Fri 10-Apr-20 21:35:53

@GG54 - I agree with you and I could probably have phrased my comment better - certainly didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with delivery drivers/foreign delivery drivers/anyone else. Some of the delivery drivers are lovely and very helpful. And our postman is yummy in so many ways.

but

last week we had a delivery of gas bottles intended for a house about three roads away. Driver was unable to understand that we were a different road, although they both began with P. All he kept doing was pointing at the pad he wanted me to sign, and the name and address. I kept shaking my head, eventually I wrote down the name of our road and by lots of sign language directed him to the right road and drew him a map. If he hadn't been getting a bit frustrated and angry towards the end it would have been funny. Yes he could talk, he wasn't deaf, dumb or stupid - what he did say was all in very heavily accented English and generally monosyllabic.

happens quite often to us.

gmarie Sat 11-Apr-20 00:09:11

I feel lucky to have deliveries at all. I saw a bit on TV about people leaving face masks and drinks for the delivery people here in the states. I don't have extra masks but I did put up a "Please help yourself" sign next to the door along with some bottled water and packaged snacks. My door is around the corner from the front so I haven't had any stolen, which is fortunate as we also have a lot of "porch pirates" here, too. sad