Gransnet forums

Chat

What were you meant to be doing this weekend?

(66 Posts)
M0nica Sat 11-Apr-20 08:06:31

On Thursday, we should have driven up to Peterborough in a hired van full of 'antiques' (definitely not antiques), met DD and her car full, set up a tent on an outside plot and spent yesterday and today, sitting in the sun while selling stock, talking with other stall holders and getting a tan. It is glorious antique fair weather this year (one Easter we had blizzards).

I have spent the last few days imagining what the Eastern England show ground should be looking like, with all the bustle and people and what it is actually like, empty, sunny peaceful and calm.

Heres to next year!

We would have driven home tomorrow, to find, in our absence, that DS and family had arrived for their Easter visit snd would have cooked supper.

Charleygirl5 Sat 11-Apr-20 09:32:25

May I mention that is the number who died in hospitals, it does not take in the number who died in care homes or at home. That number would take us well over 1000 deaths in one day. Horrendous.

Please stay at home.

Callistemon Sat 11-Apr-20 09:35:03

None of us are going anywhere, Charleygirl

I think many may try to do so, though and they deserve our condemnation.

Have a peaceful and safe Easter

annsixty Sat 11-Apr-20 09:37:02

I really don’t feel it is wrong to say what we would have been doing.
We are not bemoaning our fate and grumbling about what we are missing, well perhaps I am.
We all know just how serious this worldwide situation is and I am sure we all know bereaved families, I know 3 now, one wife hadn’t seen her H for over a week and she is on her own and distraught, my friend, her cousin, is extremely worried about her mental health and has been in touch with her GP voicing her fears.
However life really has to go on, it is what keeps the human race going.

Grandmafrench Sat 11-Apr-20 09:44:29

ann just passing on the experience of a good friend......go for the stair lift, if you can. It would be such a shame to see your “world”/your home get even smaller just because you’re having to wait for surgery. Hoping so much that the something that you need and which will change your life for the better, happens before too long. Easter wishes to you and to everyone struggling. Keep thinking about next year flowers

merlotgran Sat 11-Apr-20 09:45:04

This thread is just a wistful sigh which, according to google, is survival mechanism.

We would have been spending Easter with DD and her family but instead we'll drink the prosecco and eat the choccies she sent us and attempt a family quiz on Zoom. hmm grin

So long as DH stays well, all will be well.

MawB Sat 11-Apr-20 09:47:32

Maggiemaybe I do not regard myself as any sort of Head Girl but I am as entitled to my own views as anybody.
If I cannot go along with the self indulgence of reminiscing or whatever, that does not make me “po-faced” or claim that I am more “compassionate and caring” but I also cannot join in with the lamenting “what might have been” mentality.
Over 1000 deaths. That’s the reality, anything else is unicorns and rainbows.
(We are still allowed to express our opinions on GN aren’t we?)

Witzend Sat 11-Apr-20 09:50:17

Yes, MawB, I’m sure we’re all aware of the figures, and equally I’m sure we’re all glad to be able to post on a simple thread about what we would have been doing, rather than gasping our last. It doesn’t mean we’re wallowing in self pity.

I for one am getting tired of preachy posts. As if we don’t all know what’s going on. I do wish the self-appointed preachers would find something else to do. Maybe cleaning out their cutlery drawers, as per another thread, might be good, but then I dare say any preachers’ cutlery drawers will be immaculate anyway.

MawB Sat 11-Apr-20 10:08:16

Well I apologise if you found, or indeed, find me “preachy”.
Not my usual character, I hope, but perhaps I need to give escapism a miss.
The remark about he cutlery drawer was uncalled-for though and frankly patronising and unkind. sad

Missfoodlove Sat 11-Apr-20 10:12:25

We should have been handing our granddaughter back to my daughter and partner after a weeks childcare.
Then preparing for our holiday in Tavira, flying out on Wednesday.
Hey ho!!

Susan56 Sat 11-Apr-20 10:15:07

Ann I would definitely advise getting a stairlift too.My parents in law had one fitted in their house last year and it has made such a difference to them.We had thought about bringing the bed downstairs,but there would still have been the issue of the bathroom upstairs.It is very neat and doesn’t take up a lot of room so fine for others to still walk up the stairs.The only regret is we didn’t do it sooner.

GagaJo Sat 11-Apr-20 10:18:53

I should be flying back to work tomorrow. Despite conditions here, I'm glad I don't have to! My life there is a bit like permanent lockdown, albeit in a larger area.

ninathenana Sat 11-Apr-20 10:19:58

We would have driven back from our week away yesterday, given that traffic would have probably been horrendous today would have been relaxing and doing the washing. Tomorrow would have been a roast with all the family.

geekesse Sat 11-Apr-20 11:02:58

I would have been visiting my Dad, as I do every Easter - except that he died in July so I can’t. We were going to scatter his ashes at the weekend, but we can’t make that trip now. So the fact that I can’t go anywhere takes the edge off the knowledge that I can’t make that visit this year. Silver lining, I suppose...

M0nica Sat 11-Apr-20 11:15:40

Maw Many members have turned to GN in times of sadness for the comfort it gives. It is no different at Easter and this thread gives time for those who will be sad and missing family at Easter to talk about it.

I am among those who will not see DGC. I do not have the fortune to have them close at hand to see regularly, so it could be argued that people in my position are hurt even more because we see our DGC so rarely, and so many of us are missing a relatively rare opportunity to see them this Easter and the gap between visits will probably go from 2 or 3 months to 6 months or more. We are as worthy of sympathy as those with regular opportunities to see their grandchildren.

aggie Sat 11-Apr-20 11:22:26

Oh yes Ann go for the stair lift . I miss going upstairs , I miss the extra view from the upstairs windows .
I am in a Granny Flat , it is lovely but no stairs , l have a flight os steps at the front which I use to stop me getting "Bungalow Knees" and it is excercise for me , I had my hip done just before moving house

notanan2 Sat 11-Apr-20 11:28:30

We would have been on holiday but also rushed around to see family before and after.

Am quite happy to not be doing all that. I always feel like I need a holiday AFTER easter holidays, but always feel obliged to A. make the girls easter break fun (translation: expensive ?) as we never do much feb half term, and B. catch up with wider extended family, the ones we might not have seen since christmas.

Its always planned more around what I think we should be doing rather than what I want to do IYKWIM.

ginny Sat 11-Apr-20 12:36:06

Not being self indulgent but I’m not sure how I could stop my brain thinking about what we would have been doing !
We would have been caravanning in the New Forest with all 3 DDs and their families.
Instead we are having a family quiz night on zoom.

Annapops Sat 11-Apr-20 12:41:29

Up in a helicopter over Newcastle. A gift from DD and SIL for Christmas. X

Loulelady Sat 11-Apr-20 13:39:44

This would have been on a flight to Orlando to celebrate my daughter’s 21st.

Witzend Sat 11-Apr-20 14:34:00

I’m afraid you do come across as preachy, MawB, since you appear to be accusing those of us who are merely stating or thinking of what we would have been doing - yes, maybe a little bit wistfully - of self-indulgence.

SuzannahM Sat 11-Apr-20 14:42:24

My Dad is 83 today. He's 250 miles away, has Parkinson's and advanced dementia and I can no longer talk to him on the phone. My Mam is 82 and trying to cope with him in isolation.

This week we would have been with them for a visit and I could have given my Dad a cuddle for his birthday.

kittylester Sat 11-Apr-20 14:56:56

witzend, I think your remark about cutlery drawers was totally uncalled for. I dont think maw is preaching just giving her opinion and I can see her point of view.

I dont agree with her We should have been having the littlest dgs for a few days while his parents went to Las Vegas to get married and all we had last time I spoke to him was a close up of his (very lovely!!) tummy!

I'm very sad about that DD3 and her lovely partner are not having their much anticipated wedding having found each other after disastrous first marriages - DD in particular!

Franbern Sat 11-Apr-20 14:58:19

Had a very planned out week. Last Wesdnesday was due to drive to London to take over my daughter;s house for a weeks cats and house sitting, whilst she and her daughter are in France. During that week I had set up arrangements to have lunch and meet-ups with several of my friends in and near to London,. Easter Sunday I was due to go down to the South Coast, to spend the day with my twin daughters and three young grandchildren, staying overnight and driving back to London on Monday morning.
Due to drive back home next Thursday having welcomed daughter and g.daughter back home on the Wednesday.
Hopefully, I will stay be able to do this another time., but do find myself often imagining that alternative life I should be having now.

ginny Sat 11-Apr-20 15:01:33

To be honest if we can’t dream and think about nice things and happy times we might as well give up. I for one am not going to do that.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 11-Apr-20 15:02:59

maw I absolutely take your point, and I’m quite sure we all feel as you do, but in amongst all this death and despair we must be able to find hope, love and fun.

Think of the fun had during the war! (In my mother’s case rather too much fun imo) That didn’t detract from the hell that was going on but was a coping mechanism!

I’m sure you must agree that this is just that .