Gransnet forums

Chat

Vegans rule okay?

(33 Posts)
paulsroom Mon 13-Apr-20 11:04:10

I'm not a Vegan and I have felt that their public outcries have exhibited food activism rather than gentle persuasion. Aesop's fable about the sun and wind always comes to mind when views are expressed vociferously. However I do a lot of home cooking and like a lot of choices, so some of my meals are Vegan by default. In the current situation when you can't get eggs or cheese easily and you want to reduce the amount of milk you have, there are many recipes that follow Vegan rules.

Eglantine21 Tue 14-Apr-20 23:16:12

Tomatoes are one of the nightshade family. You know, deadly nightshade and belladonna.

Hardly surprising some people’s bodies don’t like them?

NotSpaghetti Tue 14-Apr-20 23:41:55

M0nica quite a few Hotel Chocolat eggs had no soya. Some were labelled that they may have been made in a factory using soya though. I suppose you would need to check the ingredients if super-sensitive.

BradfordLass73 Wed 15-Apr-20 01:21:06

I remember when I first became a vegetarian, people asked me how I could possibly live 'on that weird food' (it was weird to most in the 70's)

I said there wasn't anything strange about beans on toast, or egg and chips, salad or vegetable soup and our Sunday dinners were as usual, just without the meat.

We actually lived quite well and I made sure not to impose my preferences on the boys, so if they wanted sausages, they got them.

I have vegan friends and they do preach a bit but they feel strongly about the health and fate of animals. Nowt wrong with that.

GagaJo Wed 15-Apr-20 07:43:13

Yes, Pikachu! I can see on GS's body if something inadvertently had tomato in it. Plus the 10pm screaming and writhing. He is in terrible pain with it, poor boy.

BlueSky Wed 15-Apr-20 09:52:22

Same here Bradfordlass I could have written your post!

NotSpaghetti Wed 15-Apr-20 10:17:34

Me too Bradfordlass

M0nica Wed 15-Apr-20 15:40:58

Many omnivores feel strongly about the health and fate of animals.

This is why, after 30 years of only buying organic meat I now buy only ^Pasture for Life www.pastureforlife.org/ beef and lamb that is fed on grass and hay only, pork from a local pig producer/butcher that I have been using for over 20 years and I have discussed welfare issues with them. Currently I have to buy organic chicken from Waitrose, but they are a reputable cmpany with high welfare standards for all their meat.