Gransnet forums

Chat

how are you coping without visits to hairdresser

(98 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 14-Apr-20 09:05:50

I ended up taking the scissors to my fringe and also cutting off about an inch from the length. Neither was very successful. But as not going out i am not too bothered. I thought it more important to keep fringe under control than risk keep touching my face moving it out of my eyes and also risking a fall 'cos i couldn't see where i was going!! smile

gulligranny Wed 15-Apr-20 10:33:02

My hair is quite thin due to an under-active thyroid so I keep it very short and spiky, which makes it look thicker. Should have been at the hairdresser's today and am trying not to look in the mirror at all as my head now resembles a dandelion clock .... or that mad professor from the "Back To The Future" films.

Ngaio1 Wed 15-Apr-20 10:36:55

Hair becoming heavy so that it lies too flat. Put heated rollers in to give it some bounce. Have a plan to use clips to pin the sides up loosely, but enough that I can see around corners!

Lupin Wed 15-Apr-20 10:37:07

My hair had its first cut in Feb after growing back after chemo.
Before chemo I had quite plentiful, dead straight fine hair cut in a a mid length bob. It was light brown - frosting a bit at the temples.
Now I have plentiful short dark grey hair that has a kink to it and body for the first time ever. I should wash it every day, otherwise it sticks straight up as if I have had an electric shock. In these days of lockdown I don't always bother. It needs a cut again now to tame it. I will take the scissors to the back of it myself to control the mullet look.
I call my style Mad Scientist and the colour Frosted Donkey.

Foxyferret Wed 15-Apr-20 10:42:31

Very easily as I don’t go there but once in a blue moon. Hate the places.

Joesoap Wed 15-Apr-20 10:43:46

I feel so guilty when I read this thread, because hairdressers havent closed down here (not UK) and I have been to the hairdresser a month ago as usual, and my next appointment is next week. I am sure I wouldnt be able to cope if there was a lock down like in the UK. I admire you all, and I am sure you will have some new styles in the end,could be the begining of new styles for many.

blondenana Wed 15-Apr-20 10:44:34

Hate going to hairdressers,always cut and colour my own

Oopsminty Wed 15-Apr-20 10:46:20

I feel so guilty when I read this thread, because hairdressers havent closed down here (not UK)

They've closed in my area

My hair is longer than it has been for years and my roots are proving I'm far greyer than I thought!

But it matters not in the greater scheme of things

GagaJo Wed 15-Apr-20 10:46:20

That's true JS. I would LIKE to think I'll let my grey grow in, get all the died hair grow out and go au-natural. I won't though. I get BORED with hair and muck about with it.

GrandmaMoira Wed 15-Apr-20 10:48:33

Lockdown only started three weeks ago so surely most people's hair can't have grown that much yet? Getting my hair cut is very low on my list of priorities.

Oopsminty Wed 15-Apr-20 10:51:22

Lockdown only started three weeks ago so surely most people's hair can't have grown that much yet?

I'd not been since December. Kept putting it off. It's not my favourite activity!

Finally made an appointment but then got the message that they'd closed

So I've been 4 months without a 'do'

Getting my hair cut is very low on my list of priorities.

Ditto

BlueSapphire Wed 15-Apr-20 10:55:43

Should have gone last week. Trimmed my fringe, but the rest can look after itself, colour included! May have to find a way of hiding my roots.

Heather51 Wed 15-Apr-20 10:55:57

My husband has very thick curly hair and was due to get it cut just as lock down happened. Needless to say he very quickly got to look like the mad Professor. Asked me to have a go at it (I can’t even blow dry my own, so was reluctant) but gave it a go with a comb and a pair of kitchen scissors! He has been showing it off with a very smug grin on FaceTime with the family so he must be happy with it. Might be different next time as I have more confidence now and plan to do a more thorough job. ?

T56ers Wed 15-Apr-20 11:03:45

At home I resist looking in the mirror; for the odd food shop I shall be wearing a hat soon.

Debbiejr Wed 15-Apr-20 11:04:47

I was due for a cut and colour on the 27th March but it was cancelled. I have trimmed fringe - I twisted it and snipped off a bit and it has come out ok - my hair is really long now well over my shoulders but I kinda like it smile

DiscoGran Wed 15-Apr-20 11:11:28

I'm not at all bothered. Had a much shorter cut in December, which I have since realised was too short for me so happy for it to grow our a bit. More concerned about the colour. Now I have run out of tinted shampoo it is looking way too white. Ah, well, no biggie in the scheme of things.

Romola Wed 15-Apr-20 11:17:46

I have just had a text to say that the Alice bands I ordered online are to be delivered! I expect I'll still look like a sheep, as my grandson remarked on Skype recently.

Blinko Wed 15-Apr-20 11:22:14

In 18 months when we're allowed out to play again, mine will be long and silver. I'll try an updo...

Noname Wed 15-Apr-20 11:28:48

Fortunately about a year ago I embraced the grey so no more worries about my roots needing retouching! I have a couple of hair bands I might need to practice with should my short style become unruly!

dragonfly46 Wed 15-Apr-20 11:32:19

Ha ha - I didn't have any hair until a month ago and I am hoping it will grow back before the end of lockdown!!

Lindylou57 Wed 15-Apr-20 11:33:56

I have to have mine done every 6 weeks . It is very thick and wavy and I keep it short. I am due to have it done next week and it is already showing signs of wildness! I wouldn't dream of tackling it myself. I dread to think what I'll look like in a few weeks! A minor problem I know considering whats going on. Stay safe all x

Missfoodlove Wed 15-Apr-20 11:37:08

Very we thanks to my husband and an online colour from ESalon.
I’m really thrilled although I was terrified never having done it at home before.

DiscoGran Wed 15-Apr-20 11:41:18

Apparently Alice bands are back in style again so....
I like the sound of long and silver Blinko. Think I will go with that. ;)

Harris27 Wed 15-Apr-20 11:45:21

Doing ok cut fringe yesterday and bob is just a bit longer. Colour my own hair and it still looks ok next time I colour it will leave it on a tad longer just in case I can’t get my normal colour at shops.

Blinko Wed 15-Apr-20 11:55:40

Disco smile

Theoddbird Wed 15-Apr-20 12:00:43

I have learnt from styles from the 1940s....the art of tying a scarf in s snazzy way. Works well smile