Gransnet forums

Chat

how are you coping without visits to hairdresser

(98 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 14-Apr-20 09:05:50

I ended up taking the scissors to my fringe and also cutting off about an inch from the length. Neither was very successful. But as not going out i am not too bothered. I thought it more important to keep fringe under control than risk keep touching my face moving it out of my eyes and also risking a fall 'cos i couldn't see where i was going!! smile

Craicon Wed 15-Apr-20 18:29:17

Mine is looking pretty fab! grin

I normally have a pixie cut anyway and it had been about 12 weeks since it was cut as I was about to go for my trim when we had lockdown, earlier here than in the U.K..

So I just trimmed it myself a few days ago with the clippers at the back and scissors. I intend to bleach the roots in a couple of weeks, tone the yellow then add a lilac purple colour to it.
I don’t normally use thinning scissors as I’ve got fine hair but it helped blend it especially around the fringe.

CraftyGranny Wed 15-Apr-20 18:33:39

I too was due to go to the hairdressers the week after the lockdown. The length is now beginning to be unmanageable, fringe down to the cheeks, the back has clumps that have grown thicker and faster than the rest (why does that happen?)
I am also trying to grow out the blonde colour to expose my "white" locks. And, that is definitely not me in the mirror. who cares?

CraftyGranny Wed 15-Apr-20 18:34:36

who cares should read "Im past caring"

Shelmiss Wed 15-Apr-20 18:38:27

I missed my 3 weekly roots hair colour appointment by one day due to the lockdown, so I’ve now had 6 weeks of white hair growing over my whole head, the rest is long and dark.

Not any more!!!

I bought some professional hair dye and developer, watched loads of Wella online videos on how to colour it, checked and double checked the amounts to mix and hey presto - I look like I’ve just come out of the hairdressers!! So happy. First world problems I know, but all the white (not even grey) was getting me down.

GreenGran78 Wed 15-Apr-20 19:24:20

Hairdressers will be able to charge what they like when the lockdown is over. Appointments will be as hard to get as food deliveries are now! ?

Shizam Wed 15-Apr-20 19:42:46

I cut my own hair for about five years when I was broke. Then when more financially stable, went to expensive hairdresser. Nobody noticed the difference! But hair is long, wavy and thick, so accurate lines not needed.
I’ve just done son’s hair with clippers. No.1 setting. Looks like an army recruit! Tempted to do mine....

kevincharley Wed 15-Apr-20 20:29:26

I really, really hope that a few weeks without hairdressers , nail salons and beauty therapists will reverse the awful trend of having fake everything and that the worst offenders will go back to a more natural look.
Fillers and painted on eyebrows, balayage & ombre hair, false nails in a myriad colours, false lashes that create a force 9 gale, they all need to be toned down, pleeeeease!

Chardy Wed 15-Apr-20 20:35:53

Some salons are organising online lists now for those regulars who want their hair sorted as soon as lockdown finishes. (I only say this as I doubt many of us are checking our hairdressers' websites!)

Tedd1 Wed 15-Apr-20 21:58:39

I managed to cut my fringe ok but the real success story was cutting husband's hair with the dog clippers!

Dollymc1 Wed 15-Apr-20 22:59:33

I had a bob, the bob has dissapated,
It's a French roll now

Sawsage2 Thu 16-Apr-20 00:06:48

A pretty hairband improves any hairstyle.

seastar Thu 16-Apr-20 01:48:59

I'm just chopping bits off as they grow too long. My hair will need a complete restyle by the time this Covid 19 is over. My hair already looks odd but what the heck - I'd rather be alive with dreadful looking hair than dead but looking great. Oh what fun we are all having!

Curlywhirly Thu 16-Apr-20 07:32:07

I have cut my husband's hair for donkeys years; never had any problems, he's always been happy with my efforts. However, cut it yesterday, and for some reason forgot to put one of the numbered cutting heads on the clippers before I started! In my defence I was gabbing and not really paying attention. So instead of a nicely trimmed sideburn, I completely shaved it off! Had to shave off the other one, to even it up ? Pity I didn't start at tbe back first, I needn't have said anything, he'd never have known. Good job we are on lockdown, it will be a couple of weeks before it looks half decent ?

Elizabeth1 Thu 16-Apr-20 08:24:30

I was watching Nicola Sturgeon ( I’m Scottish) on tv the other day and thought “what’s different about her” it was her hair I learned later she had cut her own hair it wasn’t looking too bad either. It was clear she had put her own makeup on it was looking a little obvious perhaps less is better.

olliebeak Thu 16-Apr-20 09:28:21

I was fortunate enough to have my short hair trimmed during the week before lock-down wink. However, it's now getting to the stage where my next appointment is due next week - can manage for another couple of weeks BUT I'm definitely going to need a total re-style when I next see her.

Currently managing with towel-drying, a squirt of mousse and a 'zhuzh' with both hands. Sometimes it looks best if I don't look when doing it wink.

Aepgirl Thu 16-Apr-20 09:32:02

I am quite enjoying having my hair grow, as I've wanted to have it long for many years. This will just prove to me that my hairstylist is right - short hair suits me best, and when I go back, tripping over my locks, she'll be able to say 'I told you so'.

Alishka Thu 16-Apr-20 14:19:39

The things we discover about ourselvesshock Apparently I've grey hair!grin

pengwen Thu 16-Apr-20 23:58:56

Started to cut my hair(it is quite curly) when my daughter came and with a horrified "what are you doing" decided to cut it for me.She did a better job then I would have,I have it tied back or in a bun most of the time.

GabriellaG54 Fri 17-Apr-20 00:02:55

DIM.

GabriellaG54 Fri 17-Apr-20 00:10:33

I totally agree with kevincharley
You never know what muck lies under those false nails and come bedtime, a different person altogether emerges sans make-up.

JackyB Fri 17-Apr-20 08:04:13

I had an appointment in 25 March but by then the lockdown had been enforced here in Germany, so I had to miss out. My hairdresser rang yesterday to say that she will be re-opening in 4 May and was offering her regular customers the first appointments. I shall be there at 11 am on the first day! Until then, I shall be tying my hair up in a scarf!

My mother never touched hair and I wouldn't dare do anything to mine, neither cut nor colour. I may ask the hairdresser to cut it first this time to see if I can bear to see myself with completely white hair before she colours it.

If I decide to go with the white, I may have to start wearing make up again or I will be completely invisible.

(Hairdressers do not open on Mondays here, but in the circs, they will be making an exception. The customers need seeing to, and no doubt she needs the income)

Keffie12 Fri 17-Apr-20 21:52:00

With great difficulty. No one touches my hair bar my hairdresser of 20 years. Fortunately my hair is long so it doesnt need regularly shaping to keep a style.

Being a Leo I am rather vain over my hair. I've been on the hunt for what to do about grey roots.

Headbands, part hair the other side and buy a smudger for your roots which is what I have done.

I am also only washing my hair only once a week to keep the shine in yada yada.

Its the first place I'm going when we are allowed out. My hairdresser is going to be one busy lady when abe reopens

This sums it up