Gransnet forums

Chat

HORSE POO

(167 Posts)
Brunette10 Wed 15-Apr-20 12:42:25

I have noticed since we are doing quite a lot of walking daily that there seems to be a lot of horse poo lying on roads and on pavements. Now I know that they have to poo but honestly in the middle of the street, at the end of a driveway leading to your home, I don't think it is fair. In our street last week there was a huge amount left in the middle of the road but also at the end of two driveways leading into neighbours' driveways. I don't think this is acceptable. Now I know unlike the dog walkers that they cannot get off the horse and pick it up and bin it but I would like to know why they should get away with this behaviour when it is 1. no different from dog's poo lying about and 2. why should we have to put up with it esp when we know which farm the horse come from. Rant over!

Pikachu Wed 15-Apr-20 22:44:41

I don’t think it’s a windup sadly. When we lived in the countryside you’d often get the townies who’d moved out there moaning about just that...horse droppings (as we prefer to call it) and cockerels crowing and even the dawn chorus.

Callistemon Wed 15-Apr-20 23:01:04

We found some hedgehog poo in the garden.
We're really excited about it!!

BlueBelle Thu 16-Apr-20 05:13:16

I remember seeing horses in nappies in a seaside town near me too, when they were pulling carriages up and down the sea front area clip clopping along with visitors sitting in them I thought how uncomfortable it must have been for them when they were full
brunette lots of horse poo lying in roads and on pavements
I ve never seen a horse on a pavement are you sure you ve not been having a dream or are you just thinking of something to have a winge about

Washerwoman Thu 16-Apr-20 08:08:42

Pigeon poo on the patio here.When it turns purple I know they have been at my blueberries.Better defences this year methinks.

Craftycat Thu 16-Apr-20 10:21:34

My Grandma used to dash out after the milkman's horse had been past & put any offerings left on her roses. I don't remember her composting it but her roses were a picture.

4allweknow Thu 16-Apr-20 10:23:46

In cities where pony and carriage ride tours are offered there is usually a receptacle attached at the back of the horse to catch any manure. Can't have the streets littered with horse poo. Perhaps the local horse riders could be persuaded to invest in on such equipment. Or, collect and use on your garden; such a rarity nowadays you will be envied.

trisher Thu 16-Apr-20 10:29:38

No Horse Poo round here! And like a lot of people it was regarded as gardener's gold when I was little. Not sure why it would bother you unless you walk down the middle of the street.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-Apr-20 10:34:12

I think that the poo receptacle is attached to the carriage not the horse.

Davida1968 Thu 16-Apr-20 10:35:53

Back in the early fifties, my grandparents lived in the country and I recall that when driving us anywhere, my Grandpa would stop the car and take out the bucket and shovel (kept in the boot) to scoop up horse manure from the road. (He prized it for the garden.) I don't remember it being a horrible smell at all.

Musicgirl Thu 16-Apr-20 10:45:41

In New York, we went on a carriage ride in Central Park. The horses there had a special bag to catch the "offerings." I understand where the OP is coming from. There is a riding school near us and at one point they were riding the horses through our residential area with no need as there are plenty of other nearby places. None of us were keen on this for precisely the reason already mentioned, particularly as the horses often performed at a primary school entrance.

Buffy Thu 16-Apr-20 10:49:40

When I was little we had a neighbour who used to follow the milkman’s horse with a bucket and shovel hoping for manure for his roses.
On a more serious note, if this happens regularly on the same route I am surprised someone from the farm doesn’t notice and clear it up. Personally I love horse manure and buy it by the bag at the local farm.

GabriellaG54 Thu 16-Apr-20 10:50:30

On a trip to Ireland a couple if years ago, I was in a pony and trap and whenever the pony passed his droppings, the driver would stop, get out his shovel and bucket, clean up then resume our trip.
Apparently it was a prerequisite of having his licence to drive visitors around the town.

Hetty58 Thu 16-Apr-20 10:54:09

It's just digested grass and cereal basically, not a health hazard. I can't think why anyone would get upset by it being in the road.

Authoress Thu 16-Apr-20 10:54:35

Pick it up and put it on the roses :P

Theoddbird Thu 16-Apr-20 10:56:43

Sussexborn Vegan poo does not smell that much.... I live on a boat and have to dispose of my waste every week. It collects in a container under toilet so I speak from experience. I agree with everything said about horse poo. Locally horse owners bag it up when they muck out and sell for 50p a bag. Brilliant for roses.

GoldenAge Thu 16-Apr-20 10:59:25

Brunette10 - you are VERY lucky to be able to walk in an environment where there are horses and riders, and given that you are doing that in what must be your new exercise regime, it is you who are the intruders and not the horses. And presumably as you are not in an urban setting you would expect this. Now here is a big question for you - would you rather while on your idyllic walk, spot quantities of horse poo that you can definitely avoid, or would you prefer to be passed by cars with windows down and deafening music blaring out? You pay your money, you take your choice - as my grandmother used to say.

seadragon Thu 16-Apr-20 11:06:36

We had a horse poo on the lane outside our house a couple of months ago. Neighbours urged DH to collect it for the garden so he did... Some time later the rider returned with a bucket and shovel... I asked DH what he had done with the poo... Apparently it was on the rhubarb. We hid behind the curtains...

rowyn Thu 16-Apr-20 11:19:24

That's all fine, but w hat about horses being ridden on pavements who deposit their mess where people walk? This happens fairly near where I live ,

Elegran Thu 16-Apr-20 11:24:44

They shouldn't be on the pavement. Simple.

54 You MUST NOT take a horse onto a footpath or pavement, and you should not take a horse onto a cycle track. Use a bridleway where possible. Equestrian crossings may be provided for horse riders to cross the road and you should use these where available (see Crossings). You should dismount at level crossings where a ‘horse rider dismount’ sign is displayed.
Laws HA 1835 sect 72, R(S)A 1984, sect 129(5)
www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/rules-about-animals-horse-riders.html

mrsgreenfingers56 Thu 16-Apr-20 11:29:53

Huge difference between dog poo and horse poo. Dogs are carnivores eating meat and horses herbivores so they are only eating grass. So basically you are getting recycled grass and so good for the garden and your roses. Whereas you wouldn't dream of putting dog poo on your garden. Please send horse here for my hard to work clay soil!

Delila Thu 16-Apr-20 11:35:01

I understand that horse manure containing ivermectin (a treatment for worms) can be toxic if eaten by dogs, some breeds are known to be more seriously affected than others. Dogs do tend to enjoy eating horse manure if they get the opportunity.

MadeInYorkshire Thu 16-Apr-20 11:47:58

I imagine most of this has probably been said above, but haven't the energy to read it all!

I suppose you're not keen on the dawn chorus, the church bells or cockerels crowing either?

I assume you live in the countryside?

Horse poo, unlike dog or cat poo is organic, will do you no harm and doesn't smell too unpleasant.

So you are riding along on your 16h horse - are you expected to get off when your horse has a shit? Of course, you would need to be carrying a shovel and a bin bag or two, just exactly how are you going to manage that? Ok maybe both reins in one hand and the shovel in the other - but that could make it unsafe for horse, rider, pedestrians and drivers as you wouldn't be fully in control 'just in case'. Ahh .... and yes, of course you will be popping out to hold said horse whilst the rider is shovelling up the shit .... hope you like horses? Particularly the slightly flighty ones that will do a bit of a dance when the bin liner gets caught in the wind. Then you would also need to be there to help the rider back on, unless of course you are providing a mounting block at the end of your drive? It's not good for the horse's back for the rider to keep getting on without a block.

I think the easy answer is for you to move to a city!

rowyn Thu 16-Apr-20 11:54:44

Or maybe horse riders should stick to the countryside and use bridle paths, not roads ?
I'll run and hide now whilst the flak hits!

Aepgirl Thu 16-Apr-20 11:54:48

I can remember my father following the milkman' shires to catch the droppings. His garden was beautiful.

Aepgirl Thu 16-Apr-20 11:56:10

Good typo there; milkman's horse. Might have been a shire but I doubt it!