Gransnet forums

Chat

HORSE POO

(166 Posts)
Brunette10 Wed 15-Apr-20 12:42:25

I have noticed since we are doing quite a lot of walking daily that there seems to be a lot of horse poo lying on roads and on pavements. Now I know that they have to poo but honestly in the middle of the street, at the end of a driveway leading to your home, I don't think it is fair. In our street last week there was a huge amount left in the middle of the road but also at the end of two driveways leading into neighbours' driveways. I don't think this is acceptable. Now I know unlike the dog walkers that they cannot get off the horse and pick it up and bin it but I would like to know why they should get away with this behaviour when it is 1. no different from dog's poo lying about and 2. why should we have to put up with it esp when we know which farm the horse come from. Rant over!

felice Wed 15-Apr-20 12:48:04

Get a shovel and put it round the roses, best fertilizer there is.
My Father used to stop the car and put it in an old sack he kept for the purpose in the boot, whole car stank.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 15-Apr-20 12:51:00

My dear late husband (farm work experience) used to say that as horses are vegetarians their poo is harmless.
I believe it's meant to be good for roses. I expect the size and smell is objectionable and in the middle of a driveway is inconsiderate though.

Sussexborn Wed 15-Apr-20 12:51:26

Horse nappies perhaps! Or someone could scrape it up and put it on their rose bushes! I remember when the local gardeners would rush out to collect it. Horses don’t eat meat.

A horse's diet generally consists of hay, grass and concentrates, such as grain. Since horses eat no animal products, they are herbivores. In addition, horses enjoy many fruits and vegetables as treats, such as carrots, apples, bananas, watermelons and sweet potatoes.

Glorybee Wed 15-Apr-20 12:51:38

It was treated like gardeners gold dust if it was deposited in the street when I was a girl, it was a race as to who could run out with their shovel first. Unfortunately one of our dogs loves to eat it if not stopped in time!

MawB Wed 15-Apr-20 12:52:02

Horse manure, unlike dog poo, is wonderful for your garden. So get out there with a bucket. You are jolly lucky if it is at the end of your drive, you get first dibs!
And to answer your question, no, horses can’t hold on until they get home. TBH the middle of the road is probably the best place from the point of view of hygiene as you are less likely to walk there than on a pavement.

Sussexborn Wed 15-Apr-20 12:53:22

Not that smelly, quite mild compared to carnivore poo.

Does the same apply to vegetarians and vegans?

phoenix Wed 15-Apr-20 12:56:35

What do you mean "get away with it"?

Heaven help you if you lived in the country and had to walk or drive down a road when the cows have been brought in from the field for milking!

Chestnut Wed 15-Apr-20 12:58:55

Horse poo is very different from dog poo, which is potentially very dangerous as it can give you toxocariasis. As felice says, take it home for your garden. It was highly prized in the old days.
Anyway, you ask 'why should they get away with this behaviour' but you accept that they can't get off the horse to pick it up, so what exactly do you want them to do about it?

merlotgran Wed 15-Apr-20 13:01:27

When I was a child my gran used to cross her fingers that the milkman's horse would lift its tail outside her garden. She'd have a bucket and shovel at the ready and be through her gate like a greyhound out of the trap.

Her front garden boasted the best roses in the street. grin

craftyone Wed 15-Apr-20 13:01:42

ooh lucky you Brunette10 I would love horse poo close enough to pick up for my garden. Dog and cat poo definitely no, horse poo a definite yes

harrigran Wed 15-Apr-20 13:03:35

You should not put fresh horse manure on your garden, shoul allow to compost.

Bossyrossy Wed 15-Apr-20 13:07:59

Fresh horse poo is full of grass and weed seeds. Best to put it in the compost bin where the heat will kill off germinating seeds. Well rotted horse manure is what you want.

Jabberwok Wed 15-Apr-20 13:14:38

Horse Poo ideally needs to stand for about six months + before being put round plants/bushes as neat poo tends to burn the roots. It's ok to put it straight onto an empty bed though. We bred Exmoor ponies for years, now down to one old boy, and his poo is still well received both by us and the local farm! Incidentally, horses can't hold onto poo, they just go when they want to, so no one is getting away with anything! Tbh I don't know why it upsets anyone, it's so easy to clear up and the smell is not unpleasant. Cow poo now, that is yucky and useless!!

Davidhs Wed 15-Apr-20 13:15:31

Very surprised they are riding, most have stopped - because of the risk of an accident causing more work for the NHS. 2 of my daughters have horses that are furloughed.

Iam64 Wed 15-Apr-20 13:27:35

Oh my goodness. This sounds like the people who move into the countryside then complain the cockerel wakes them in the morning.
I love seeing horses riding past and will be delighted when they are doing so again.

NanaandGrampy Wed 15-Apr-20 13:33:24

If you live rurally Brunette horse poo on the road or the end of the drive is just part of country living.

It’s truly that simple.

It’s like mud on the road from the tractors and stopping to let a herd of flock be moved to a field across the road . It’s like a 4 am rooster call or Norbert the pheasant popping in to feast on newly planted goodies.

It’s life.

MaizieD Wed 15-Apr-20 13:38:48

I'm very surprised they're riding, too. No-one is is our area. I wouldn't put my grandson on his very quiet pony on the lead rein, even if we weren't social distancing (which we are, of course).

Another plea for please don't put the dung straight onto the garden, it is more likely to kill or burn than feed as it contains a high level of nitrogen. Compost it.

Iam64 grin

Hetty58 Wed 15-Apr-20 13:38:54

Horses regularly use our road. If the muck is nearby, we go out with a shovel and grab it for the garden. Some neighbours even walk quite a way to get it - precious fertilizer and mulch.

Dog poo is disgusting by comparison and should never be left lying around!

merlotgran Wed 15-Apr-20 13:38:57

harrigran is right that it is best to use horse manure that has been composted but a small amount spread around plants is fine so long as it is not close/touching the stems. It can also be put in a bucket of water and gently watered in.

Any weeds resulting from seeds can be dealt with in the normal way.

grannysyb Wed 15-Apr-20 13:50:18

Think this is a wind up, has to be, how do you ask a horse to " hold on" until it gets back to its stable!

MiniMoon Wed 15-Apr-20 13:56:52

Merlot, my Dad used to put horse manure in a bucket of water, let it sit for a while, and then fill his watering can with it.
It was a rare occurrence where I lived, but sometimes the rag and bone man would come round with his horse and cart. As someone up thread said, it was always a race to collect the poo.

H1954 Wed 15-Apr-20 13:58:32

I watched a documentary recently about the Metro in the North East. On one particular episode a lady was taking a miniature horse onto the train to get it used to being there as it was going to be a guide horse for a lady in London who travels on the underground. The miniature horse was wearing a sort of nappy slung below its nether regions, so horse nappies do exist!
Horse poo might be good for the garden but it's no fun cleaning it of your shoes, carpets etc! ?

eazybee Wed 15-Apr-20 14:03:46

When the milk float, drawn by a horse, arrived, the children were out feeding one end sugar lumps and at the other end all the keen gardeners, my mother included, were scooping up the manure for the roses.

EllanVannin Wed 15-Apr-20 14:11:57

Eazybee my dad used to do that when the stores horse delivered the bread etc. Mum and I hid behind the curtain.