Gransnet forums

Chat

HORSE POO

(167 Posts)
Brunette10 Wed 15-Apr-20 12:42:25

I have noticed since we are doing quite a lot of walking daily that there seems to be a lot of horse poo lying on roads and on pavements. Now I know that they have to poo but honestly in the middle of the street, at the end of a driveway leading to your home, I don't think it is fair. In our street last week there was a huge amount left in the middle of the road but also at the end of two driveways leading into neighbours' driveways. I don't think this is acceptable. Now I know unlike the dog walkers that they cannot get off the horse and pick it up and bin it but I would like to know why they should get away with this behaviour when it is 1. no different from dog's poo lying about and 2. why should we have to put up with it esp when we know which farm the horse come from. Rant over!

nightowl Fri 17-Apr-20 15:55:11

I’m sorry your friend has been so upset Marydoll. I looked at this thread when it first started and thought the responses were unpleasant from the start. If people can’t recognise when their own posts are rude or unkind then there’s really no hope. As for describing gransnet as feisty, I think that is a kind way of putting it. The general unkindness is one of the reasons I rarely post these days.

ExD Fri 17-Apr-20 15:58:12

Gosh its run to 6 pages already and got quite a few backs up too. What I imagine started out as a lady's dislike of coming across horse poo has extended to quite a rant about all things equine and more!
I didn't see the offensive post and I hope the OP wasn't upset by it, some 'horsey' people get a bit fixated over their horses but there's no cause to send nasty offensive posts, especially as this started off as, I imagine, quite a light hearted discussion.
I personally do take note of the remarks to myself that we should perhaps not have provided off road exercise facilities for our livery girls, a case of not thinking things through - which can be applied to several other people I can think of.
I hope this doesn't stop Brunette from posting.

moggie57 Fri 17-Apr-20 16:01:02

get your shovel and spade out .its good for the garden.as a child my grandad always picked this up. made wonderful vegetables. COUNTRY PANCAKES

GabriellaG54 Fri 17-Apr-20 16:46:41

I certainly can't see any 'unpleasant from the start' posts. It's a fact of life. Horses have done it since the dawn of time.
Most posts are talking about how good it is for your garden.

Marydoll Fri 17-Apr-20 16:53:05

It was the vile PMs and two deleted posts, which caused the upset, Gabriella.

MaizieD Fri 17-Apr-20 16:57:01

Nonsense about horses paying to use the roads.

Horses have used the roads for millenia, they do no damage (damage to unsurfaced bridleways and tracks is far worse) and most responsible horse owners/riders will have insurance which covers them for third party damages. All road users should respect other road users.

Why do people think that the car is paramount?

EllanVannin Fri 17-Apr-20 17:00:58

When our next door neighbour said he'd put manure on his rhubarb my mum quickly answered and said we have custard on ours.

EllanVannin Fri 17-Apr-20 17:02:04

Car fumes cause all ills, horses droppings don't.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 17-Apr-20 17:03:32

Agree MaizieD our horse insurance is nearly £600 a year added to BHS membership of over £100.

Patsy70 Fri 17-Apr-20 17:14:09

I love seeing horses being ridden down our lane, they are such beautiful animals. Much rather that than all the fast cars! I really have not objection to horse manure, either. Rather that than all the litter and fly tipping that is often seen!

nightowl Fri 17-Apr-20 17:19:12

I suppose it depends how sensitive people are Gabriella. And that’s not a criticism, either way, some people are more easily upset, have more they are struggling with, whatever. Still some of the posts shocked me a bit, and they weren’t directed at me and I’m not particularly sensitive. It seemed to be that people were taking the pee out of the OP almost from the start.

sodapop Fri 17-Apr-20 17:19:24

I'm sorry to hear Brunette had some unpleasant private messages, totally uncalled for.

If you post on here there will always be people with strong opinions about things so it's best not to take things to heart too much. In our current situation I think some people are more sensitive than usual and others more robust.

nightowl Fri 17-Apr-20 17:21:28

And as a horsey person myself I think the OP had a point. I don’t clean up after my horse but actually it’s not very nice when there’s horse poo all over the roads (and pavements as well near me, if fact there’s one pavement which is also a designated bridleway).

Magrithea Fri 17-Apr-20 17:28:35

It is not practical for a rider to dismount and pick up after their horse unlike when your dog goes. As others have said, shovel it up and stick in the compost heap (it will burn the plants if you put it directly on to the garden). As others have said, it's all part of rural living.

dumbtydumbty Fri 17-Apr-20 18:38:02

In France they have a recent law protecting the country's "sensory heritage" - countryside smells, the sound of church bells, the crunch of a fresh baguette - that kind of thing...

Iam64 Fri 17-Apr-20 18:51:13

The French get some things just right don't they -not everything of course, she hastens to add.

The insurance I have for my dogs includes 3rd party. I agree with MaizieD, most people have insurance for their horses these days. They need to use the roads, round here we're lucky to still have some bridle paths but the horses and ponies need to use the increasingly busy roads to get off road, so to speak.