Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you paying your cleaner during lockdown?

(154 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sun 19-Apr-20 13:26:35

There is an article in the paper about cleaners who can’t work and aren’t being paid at all.

I’ve talked to mine about this and I am not paying her, perhaps I should? She is self employed and declares everything she earns and pays tax and NI. I am also self employed, am earning nothing and am not sure if I qualify for the 80% because I am a Ltd. company.
She says she will get the 80% and is fine.

I am in a much better position than her to weather this storm and after reading the article am feeling very guilty.
I think I will pay her the 20% she won’t be getting, does that seem fair?

SirChenjin Sun 19-Apr-20 21:31:30

Exactly! I just can’t continue paying that amount while we’re money down each month.

Eloethan Mon 20-Apr-20 00:03:20

If I had a cleaner I would pay her (or him) what they usually earn.

I, and most other choir members, still pay the full rate for choir sessions even though we have pretty ineffectual, and much shorter, sessions by way of Zoom.

I thought it was awful that so many (though not all) people living in wealthy areas were unwilling to pay anything at all to their cleaners at this difficult time.

sue421 Mon 20-Apr-20 02:43:12

Yes I am paying our cleaner....by standing order. As I am full time carer for my husband I am really appreciating why I have a cleaner!

SueH49 Mon 20-Apr-20 07:34:02

Not paying mine and she does not expect it....her words "no service no pay"

Irenelily Mon 20-Apr-20 10:02:43

As I’m of pension age my income doesn’t change. I leave her money under a flower pot in the front garden! She is a single parent and relies on her cleaning jobs. She is very grateful and I feel I’m doing the right thing. Not as if I can go out on a spending spree right now!!!

polnan Mon 20-Apr-20 10:17:52

I don`t have a cleaner, but I think I shall soon need to find one... I have always done my own cleaning, and for me , it is a loss to my independence..

so... where do I find a good cleaner? by good I mean someone compatible with me?

Applegran Mon 20-Apr-20 10:19:28

I am paying my cleaner and it made me review how much I have been paying her - not enough - so I've put up her hourly rate too. I also got myself a good cordless vacuum cleaner - which is turning out to have been a great idea!

Aepgirl Mon 20-Apr-20 10:19:47

I don't have a cleaner, and certainly couldn't afford one, but I had a letter from my hairdresser yesterday telling me that I would get 'priority' over new customers when she reopens, but that there would be no loyalty discounts!

deedeeP Mon 20-Apr-20 10:23:45

Personally I think cleaners should be paid during this time. Mine is being paid 100% of the money I normally pay as I feel it is the only thing to do (Even if I had to raid savings to do so). After all she still has to feed her children and when this is all over I will still have an excellent cleaner. IMO if you don't pay then perhaps you may be looking for a new cleaner when lockdown is over? I know that if I was the cleaner I would be dropping anyone that I felt hadnt quite treated me right and replacing them with one of the many waiting for the service. It will be very obvious to them as some will do as I am doing and others will have stopped payments.

schnackie Mon 20-Apr-20 10:24:20

I (used to) travel a lot, so my cleaner was 'as and when', however as I am not travelling now, and my money is not being used for that, I messaged my cleaner and offered to pay her a certain amount and bless her, she refused. My dust is also accumulating and whilst I do tidying, kitchen and bath every day, she will get extra pay when she returns.

Marjgran Mon 20-Apr-20 10:28:42

Of course! But my income hasn’t dropped. All my friends who are retired with fixed, if modest, pensions are doing the same. I have known her for so many years. I also put some into the account of the masseuse I usually take my damaged body to, and the physiotherapist. It is surely the best thing to do? For those whose income has dropped, of course it is different.

Missiseff Mon 20-Apr-20 10:31:44

I'm gobsmacked at this other world!
My husband wants to know how he can claim wages for the cleaning, cooking, ironing, gardening and chauffering me to work and back, because he has never received a penny for his efforts.
Oh dear, I hope he doesn't want fourteen years of back pay......shock

SirChenjin Mon 20-Apr-20 10:37:57

deedee That’s great you feel you would rather raid your savings than not pay your cleaner. For those of us who still have mortgages to pay and children to feed our savings are going on that as a result of salaries decreasing through being furloughed. If I have to look for another cleaner as a result then I’m sure I will survive.

I’m itching to type more but I won’t.

Are you all still paying for other services you normally receive? Your accountants, your gardeners, your paper delivery services, your hairdressers, your beauticians, your AC’s childcare services and so on? If so, I look forward to retirement in 10-15 years time and pensions the same size as yours!

Beanie654321 Mon 20-Apr-20 10:40:55

As home maker, cleaner, cooker and bottle washer I'm getting the same I get every day a smile and 1 small chocolate mint sweet. Thank DH. Xxx

quizqueen Mon 20-Apr-20 10:43:31

If self employed people have declared and paid full taxes on their earnings then they are entitled to help from the state, according to the chancellor. If they thought they didn't need to contribute their fair whack to society by taking cash in hand and not declaring all earnings then, no, they shouldn't be compensated by anyone, in my opinion.

Also, owners of private companies who are billionaires should not be claiming furlough off the state for their employers; surely they can afford to give up the odd million or two for the relatively short time during lockdown. That could be their contribution to society for their own good fortune. It's possible that their accountants will have been taking every (legal, unfortunately) advantage of every loophole in the book to get them to their present state of wealth anyway. Or maybe they have become tax exiles; should the country help them when they left to avoid paying tax in the first place?

I'm all for people making their fortunes, lucky them, but only if they have been fair to their employees and customers who have made them wealthy.

Redhead56 Mon 20-Apr-20 10:43:49

For heavens sake do your own cleaning what else is there to do. I am not the most mobile person but at least do it myself.

Froglady Mon 20-Apr-20 11:09:09

I have a a lady who comes and cleans for me twice a month. I hadn't even thought about paying her while the lockdown continues . Going to have to have a think about this.

SirChenjin Mon 20-Apr-20 11:10:28

Quiz I completely agree. I use a cleaning company and pay them directly - they in turn pay their cleaners. My understanding is that this means they are employees and entitled to Govt help. Are you all paying your cleaners cash in hand? If so, I’m not sure that’s completely legit - unless you’re absolutely sure it’s all being declared and tax paid on it.

Saggi Mon 20-Apr-20 11:21:40

Surely that 20% the government are withholding , is what people would normally pay in taxes?! Or am I being naive, and tax is still taken out of the 80%. Confused!

payens1 Mon 20-Apr-20 11:24:59

How do you know most cleaners don't pay tax, assumption is rather arrogant. I'm paying my cleaner.

chattykathy Mon 20-Apr-20 11:27:36

If your income hasn't altered during the lockdown then I believe paying your cleaner is the right thing to do. Obviously it's different if your income has changed

sarahellenwhitney Mon 20-Apr-20 11:28:09

Do you value her services, ie reliable, does a grand job, trustworthy ?Not always easy to find 'treasures' so as this ,hopefully, is going to be a one off situation we find ourselves in then yes I would pay her.

AcornFairy Mon 20-Apr-20 11:28:29

I must live in a parallel universe. A cleaner? Someone who you pay for coming into your home and keeping it clean? In my world that just doesn’t happen. We have to do it ourselves. I’m amazed at how many of you have the luxury of a servant. Is this for real?

SirChenjin Mon 20-Apr-20 11:33:48

payens1 how do you know that anyone you pay cash in hand is paying the correct amount of tax? Hardly arrogant to question a reality. I don’t pay cash in hand because I’m well aware of what goes on and don’t want to be part of the black economy.

And before anyone says ‘what about the multi nationals’ - yes, I absolutely believe they should pay far more tax than they are doing. Start a separate thread and I’ll post to that effect there.

Lulubelle500 Mon 20-Apr-20 11:35:39

No, I don't think my cleaner expected it. We discussed her still coming for a while (before the lockdown rules came into effect; then when they did she 'phoned to say she'd be back asap!) She's the best cleaner I've had for years,speaks better English than a lot of people I know, and is kind and sensible too. She used to come on Thursday, so my husband vacuums the house that day and I wash the loos, the basins, the kitchen, and dust anything that doesn't move. My husband now has a new respect for cleaners....