Gransnet forums

Chat

Can’t we have a national happy day?

(44 Posts)
Artdecogran Wed 22-Apr-20 18:23:33

I was sitting this afternoon enjoying the sun coming through my window and reading a book with the television on in the background for some company (live on my own). I was feeling quite calm and happy, managing for a while not to think of gloomy things. After an hour I started to feel really sad, scared and very glum. I suddenly realised that I had been inadvertently listening to adverts about staying in, cremations, the nhs appeals, charity adverts with dying dogs, poor children with deformities, life insurance, Kevin bacon with his sad tones, banks adverts with advice about corona banking, and so on and so on. It was a constant drip of sadness. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a day of no adverts and just fun programmes. Just one day of kindness and happiness.

gillybob Wed 22-Apr-20 18:28:22

youtu.be/oWgTqLCLE8k

Callistemon Wed 22-Apr-20 18:39:17

We don't turn the TV on until 6pm. I think DH has it on for an hour or so at 6am but I'm still asleep then.
In the evening we may watch something escapist.

I could not stand to have it on all day, even if I was on my own I wouldn't and yes, I have spent much time on my own. I quite like silence or just listening to the birds.

I know what is going on, my family is involved on the frontline so I am not ignoring anything or head in the sand,

EllanVannin Wed 22-Apr-20 18:40:27

Aw, that little song was lovely. x

suziewoozie Wed 22-Apr-20 18:45:25

No Art WE ( as a country) can’t - YOU can if you want. Quite frankly why would anyone watch the drivel oka daytime tv? You can listen to music, old comedy programmes on R4 extra if you want ( as can anyone) but to deny the pain , suffering, fear, heartbreak and loss of others by having a national happy day is just utter mindless thoughtless rubbish.

Callistemon Wed 22-Apr-20 18:48:00

Every morning I look out of the bedroom window, look at the spring blossom, the birds, the sunshine and then think of what is going on beyond there.
But I can't do anything about it except worry (and contribute to good causes) and worry helps no-one.

Urmstongran Wed 22-Apr-20 18:48:13

Hopefully, we all will when this lockdown is over Artdecogran.
Needs must, for now but as Captain Tom reminds us ‘tomorrow will be a good day’.
Hold onto that for now lovely lady.

Jane10 Wed 22-Apr-20 18:55:00

Yes just switch off your TV. There are plus points to this current situation for some people. It's quiet and relaxed for some but others are having an awful time and a national 'happy day' could feel pretty insulting for them really.
Enjoy your own days though but with just background music or even just the birds.

EllanVannin Wed 22-Apr-20 18:58:19

I've got a variety of CD's which I listen to every day, then TV goes on for Home and Away at 6.30pm, then As Time Goes By and Last of the Summer Wine---takes me to 8pm----not my best time of the day, then start twiddling with the channels to find something interesting. 10.30/11pm bed. Whoopee !

I'm fast losing the power of conversation and normality !

Lucca Wed 22-Apr-20 19:08:16

Well really I have to say what a daft suggestion, people are dying unnecessarily, others will be losing their livelihood, many many are separated from their family and face the prospect of not seeing them for a year or more if they live I. Another country, and you want a national happy day. That actually makes me angry.

Pantglas2 Wed 22-Apr-20 20:23:51

I know what artdecogran means but I think the answer is in her own hands - don’t have tv on except for an update occasionally.

I’m sure most families will be affected by the end of this crisis to a greater or lesser extent with bereavement or financial difficulties - her last sentence wishing for a little kindness fell on its arse in the first ten responses!

Callistemon Wed 22-Apr-20 20:30:59

Kindness would be lovely.

All the nurses looking after sick patients in ICU, on the recovery wards, those working in care homes, holding the hands of those who are dying without family around, are all so kind and selfless.
It would be nice if Gransnetters could all be so kind.

Sit in your lovely garden, Artdecogran and enjoy the birds.
flowers

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-Apr-20 20:44:24

Jokes make me smile.

When I die I want my remains to be given to my Alexa, my smartphone and my Kindle.
I'd like to be left to my own devices.

Police arrested Jack Black after he was seen flat out after drinking battery acid.
He had now been charged.

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-Apr-20 20:49:11

Well, I have hopefully made at least 3 people happy by letting them 'piggyback' on my Sainsbury slots after advertising in my area. grin

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-Apr-20 20:56:29

Try Radio 2 instead of the TV.

GrannyLaine Wed 22-Apr-20 20:56:46

I think its a big ask on GN at the moment Artdecogran
There seem to be many who are only able to see and comment negatively. In a time of crisis I can see a great deal to be thankful for and I can celebrate that, while at the same time feeling great compassion for those who are struggling for all manner of reasons. For me, anger is a pointless emotion.

Hetty58 Wed 22-Apr-20 21:12:59

Artdecogran, why not have the radio on as 'background' instead. But do face up to reality some of the time.

Yes, I can get involved in gardening or walk the dog and my mind is absorbed in normal, everyday things. I forget all about the virus and lockdown for a long time.

But, for part of the day (usually morning) I tune back into what is happening, the unfolding tragedy of so many deaths. It's important to allow your mind to process it. If you don't, you may have disturbed sleep.

A 'national happy day'? Really? that sounds inappropriate - an attempt at denial?

Artdecogran Wed 22-Apr-20 21:18:00

I am absolutely shocked by the very nasty responses I have had. I have, as I have said before got 3 children working in hospitals, a newborn grandson born via Caesarean section, and we are still waiting to see if he and his mum have made it through safely.
I know all about the deaths and the tragedy’s that are an hourly occurrence.
I know about the hundreds if not thousands of people suffering from depression, stress and fright at home.
Instead of the constant media stressing that the plague has descended on our heads and all the other horrors of life, could we not for just one day have a life affirming positive day.
My 7 year old autistic grandson wrote a note and stuck it on his fridge asking his parents to not talk about the virus because it was scary.
During the war, did they not try to look on the brighter side of life? Did they not have parties? Did they not have concert parties or were films not shown? They tried to keep their spirits up. Do we not need the same joy?
Trying to be happy does not negate the bad things happening but it might make it more bearable.

etheltbags1 Wed 22-Apr-20 21:21:26

I feel so guilty I am mostly enjoying lockdown. My food is delivered, books on kindle, family on watsap. No work. But the awful truth is that people are dying and we wouldn't be on lockdown if they weren't. I understand how th op feels, I'm spending time imagining how my house will look when I can decorate or similar my garden etc . Maybe we can have a remembrance day after all this is over where we can celebrate the people making sacrifices for us as well as remembering the people we lost.

Grandmafrench Wed 22-Apr-20 21:28:02

I know what you mean by "constant drip of sadness", Artdecogran. After a while you become almost numb, we can all appreciate how bad the situation is, how much others are suffering but we have to try not to become completely overwhelmed ourselves. That does no one any good. Switching off from the noise and desperation of it all and learning to manage the awfulness of this ourselves in our own way will help us to stay strong. Our happy day will come. If we don't believe that, then what is there?
Love that song, gilly,thank you. Not seen this version before, but I've been blown away by Justin Timberlake's dancing in the original video of this song.
Let's remember above all to be kind, please.

Hetty58 Wed 22-Apr-20 21:33:11

Artdecogran, we are not at war and I really dislike the comparisons with wartime. Nobody is suggesting that we can't be happy as individuals - some of the time.

It's a quiet, private, happiness though. There's a new and deeper appreciation of the good things left in our lives. I don't think the responses have been nasty, though. When you ask a silly question, what do you expect?

Washerwoman Wed 22-Apr-20 21:35:58

I instantly feel happier for seeing that song.It reminds me if our lovely granddaughter because I used to put it on the ipad for her and she would bob up and down and chuckle. I can't wait to cuddle her again.So that's ended my day with happy thoughts.Thank you.

GrannyLaine Wed 22-Apr-20 21:45:29

Hetty58, no question is silly if you're not sure of the answer. Putting down others doesn't make anyone look better.

Chewbacca Wed 22-Apr-20 21:58:15

Agree with pretty much all of the comments on here. So much doom, bad news and looking for someone to apportion blame to. It would be nice to have a small window of time that we say what we have be thankful for without someone screeching at us about what should/should not have been done and by whom.

Chewbacca Wed 22-Apr-20 21:59:28

True GrannyLaine but for some, it's their raison d'etre.