Gransnet forums

Chat

Can’t we have a national happy day?

(45 Posts)
Artdecogran Wed 22-Apr-20 18:23:33

I was sitting this afternoon enjoying the sun coming through my window and reading a book with the television on in the background for some company (live on my own). I was feeling quite calm and happy, managing for a while not to think of gloomy things. After an hour I started to feel really sad, scared and very glum. I suddenly realised that I had been inadvertently listening to adverts about staying in, cremations, the nhs appeals, charity adverts with dying dogs, poor children with deformities, life insurance, Kevin bacon with his sad tones, banks adverts with advice about corona banking, and so on and so on. It was a constant drip of sadness. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a day of no adverts and just fun programmes. Just one day of kindness and happiness.

Artdecogran Wed 22-Apr-20 22:14:08

I mentioned the war because it was a time when everything that people were used to was radically changed just like now. People pulled together like now, because we are in a sad and confusing time like then. People had to find a way to keep their spirits up as we do now. I never said it was a fight or a war against the virus. The war is the only time that I can think off where the whole of society is facing the same type of challenge, no matter what your wealth, age or disposition. If you can think of another situation then please enlighten me.

gillybob Wed 22-Apr-20 22:46:05

Me, my DD and my gorgeous little Evie (2) share that song and video from Trolls everyday . It really wasn’t meant to cause offence artdecogran .

Lucca Wed 22-Apr-20 22:46:21

If people are referring to my post when saying posters are nasty or negative, sorry but I stand by my reaction to the title of the thread which was asking for a national happy day, not a be kind day.
It would be so nice if we were allowed to disagree with a post/thread without being immediately accused of negativity.
As it happens I am doing my utmost to cope and make the best of things, i avoid the news now as it makes me panic.but I am nevertheless heartbroken as I have family on the other side of the world. So forgive me if I don’t get “national happy day”.

Hetty58 Wed 22-Apr-20 22:51:48

GrannyLaine, I disagree - 'Can’t we have a national happy day?' is a very silly question indeed!

Chewbacca Wed 22-Apr-20 22:55:21

And you'll have to forgive us if we try to find something to give us respite from the constant onslaught of doom and gloom and the ever growing need to find someone to blame for the situation we're all in Lucca. We're all trying to cope. Some of us by looking for something to cheer us.

lemongrove Wed 22-Apr-20 22:58:45

Artdeco just ignore the negative snippy comments, it’s being so cheerful, as keeps ‘em going as my Grandma used to say with a chuckle.
We don’t watch any news on tv or listen to it on the radio, just watch the daily briefing ( until the journalists start wittering on then they get switched off.....very satisfying.)
We do gardening, go for a walk, read, do crosswords, talk on the phone/email family and friends and watch drama and comedy in the evenings after dinner.Much better, than constantly absorbing worry and sadness.
I only allow a very short time on GN now, there are so many
Depressing ( and boring) threads with posters ranting on.
It’s the opposite of life enhancing.

Hetty58 Wed 22-Apr-20 23:00:06

Artdecogran, people are not really 'pulling together', although it's nice to think that they are.

'the whole of society is facing the same type of challenge' - No, the challenge depends so much on personal circumstances that there is hardly any comparison.

Some of us are fortunate so will have little trouble weathering the storm, enjoying our gardens.

Imagine the contrast with someone who is unwell and flat broke, trapped in a tiny flat with energetic, bored children!

lemongrove Wed 22-Apr-20 23:10:27

People certainly are pulling together, there are so many neighbourhood schemes to help, government and local councils delivering food boxes, and neighbours checking on each other.
Volunteers for practically anything have turned out in huge numbers.Newly retired doctors and nurses have come forward in their thousands.

Callistemon Wed 22-Apr-20 23:16:52

You mentioned before that your particular area is not pulling together Hetty but I think that must be unusual.

Certainly people are doing so here.

Chewbacca Wed 22-Apr-20 23:29:12

Youre very unlucky hetty to live in an area that isnt "pulling together". So many groups of people in this area who are volunteering to collect prescriptions, shopping and even do some gardening for those who are elderly and would normally have a gardener to come but, for whatever reason, can't do that now. Children have been putting their unwanted toys, games and books outside their houses so that other children can come and take them and play with them. There are several houses who have put excess and unwanted plants by their gates so that others, who can't get to garden centres, can take them and have the pleasure of growing them on.

How unfortunate you've not had the pleasure of seeing that in your locality.

lemongrove Wed 22-Apr-20 23:35:16

Perhaps Hetty lives in France?

Chewbacca Wed 22-Apr-20 23:57:55

I haven't got a garden hose and, as it's been so very hot, sunny and dry here for quite a while, I've had to lug a watering can around my garden each evening. Yesterday, I answered a knock at the door to find a coiled up garden hose on my doorstep and a neighbour, who I've hardly even spoken to before, was stood at the end of my drive. He'd heard, from another neighbour, that I was struggling with the watering can and, completely unbidden, had dug out a spare one and given it to me. That probably wouldn't have happened in normal circumstances because I'd have just nipped to the shops and bought one.

Hetty58 Thu 23-Apr-20 00:14:54

I live in Greater London. There's a good network of local organisations and voluntary groups here. Therefore, some people are pulling together to help others.

There are also many people having drunken parties, fireworks, street racing, burglaries - and a thriving black market for anything you may want. There's just as much 'them and us' as ever.

It's funny how I get to hear both 'sides' by chatting to those who assume I'm on theirs!

Hetty58 Thu 23-Apr-20 00:17:59

Chewbacca, gardeners/landscapers are still working and nurseries do a click and collect or delivery service.

Hetty58 Thu 23-Apr-20 00:29:11

(from our neighbourhood site)

'Bag snatch
At lunchtime today my elderly neighbour answered the door to a white middle aged cyclist who asked for a drink of water. While her back was turned he stole her handbag. I have no other details except police have good CCTV images of him. Please be aware that although there are so many good decent people out there doing an excellent job for the elderly and vulnerable there are also the scumbags'

Nice people about eh?

Chewbacca Thu 23-Apr-20 00:30:48

How kind of you to point out the obvious for me hetty, thank you! smile We all know that gardeners and landscapers are still working some of us are actually working at doing just that, but some of the elderly and infirm people in my area actually employ retired men to do their gardening, normally. And some of those retired men are having to self isolate or are confined to their own homes because their wives/partners are health compromised. Therefore, some people's usual gardener's are not available at the moment and some kind people stepped in to help. Not something that, in normal circumstances, would be needed, so its a silver lining to a cloud isn't it!

As for "click and collect"; I know! Its a wonderful concept isn't it? But even nicer when you have lovely neighbours nearby who are kind, generous and thoughtful and share what they have spare.

Such a shame you're experiencing "drunken parties, fireworks, street racing and burglaries". It's very calm and quiet here.

Chewbacca Thu 23-Apr-20 00:36:06

Yes! There are some lovely people about. All over the country. All over the world, there are ordinary people doing large and small random acts of kindness. There always has been hetty, just like there has always been shitbags who look to find a way of doing large and small criminal and cruel acts. And the harder you look to find examples of each, the more you'll find. That's why it's a good idea to try and find more of the good ones.

Grandad1943 Thu 23-Apr-20 07:22:29

Over the last two weeks, I have become more optimistic in regard to how the economy may recover when this virus stage of the crisis eventually comes to an end.

We all see the depressing pictures on the news channels each night of closed down shopping centres, cinemas, restaurants pubs, and the empty streets that surround them.

However, what those pictures do not show viewers is beneath that emptiness much of the British economy is still running all be it in "facilitated mode".

High street retail is most definitely closed, but online ordering has seen huge expansion as people still wish to purchase food, clothes, garden products, furniture, and many other commodities. That, in turn, is keeping suppliers to those online retailers working, which is keeping Britains huge transport industry very busy.

Many companies that are able to maintain reasonable social distancing have restarted operations and that bodes well for when the gradual lifting of lockdown comes about.

Undoubtedly the airline, cruise and holiday industries have been hit by this crisis very hard, and the markets that they operate in may not return to how it had traded pre-crisis.

However, if instead of a cancelled holiday a family invests in a new 4 or 5K television along with a high-quality sound system to go with it then the original holiday money is still retained in the economy.

Our own business as service suppliers to the road transport industry after Furlowing several of our staff at the start of this lockdown now have all but two re-engaged.

The above is the bases for my optimism and I feel it is well-founded due to our companies experience in this crisis up to this point.

This lockdown will eventually end and as the Queen so well stated " we shall all meet again", and as that comes about things may recover far quicker than many would expect.

Therefore, I find that along with my optimism there is a motivation to be reasonably confident and with that comes greater happiness.

MerylStreep Thu 23-Apr-20 07:26:12

Artdecogran
I understand why you have the tv on 'for company'. I have 3 friends who are living alone.
Put BBC i player on and find a 'nice' series. Blue planet? That will keep playing episode after episode. Lots of other nice stuff on there. Walk away from the negative.?