Gransnet forums

Chat

Perfume favourites and why?

(142 Posts)
Missfoodlove Thu 23-Apr-20 11:02:06

I have a “ signature” perfume Nuxe Prodigieux, I find the scent uplifting and really sensuous.

For every day I use scents from Jeanne en Provence, their perfumes are from £8-£20 a bottle, the smells really make you feel as though you’re in Southern France, light, delicate,feminine floral notes.

Special occasions it’s Juliet has a Gun Lady Vengeance, it is so provocative and empowering.

What are your favourites and why?

amy40 Mon 12-Oct-20 21:03:13

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lemsip Tue 19-May-20 08:35:30

I go in the large perfume departments I always ask if they have any free samples and have often been given two or three different little ones in tiny spray vials.

loopyloo Tue 19-May-20 06:17:32

Oh, do you remember when we could go into a department store, through the beauty section and have a test spray of a perfume!

Purplepixie Tue 19-May-20 00:42:14

I still love 5th Avenue perfume by Elizabeth Arden. It brings back such wonderful memories of people I knew in the past that are long gone. The smell is beautiful and subtle and I wear it everyday. X

Cambia Sun 03-May-20 10:40:56

Crafty granny it really is lovely isn’t it? I tend to pick it up in duty free for around £50 once or twice a year. I know duty free isn’t usually the cheapest place but I haven’t found it cheaper anywhere else!

BigBraRa Tue 28-Apr-20 22:51:31

My favourite is Magie Noir by Lancôme. I used to like D & G Feminine but that is sadly no more, don't think Magie Noir will be far behind as its getting harder to find. When I was young I used Bodyshop White Musk, if I smell it now it brings back memories.

Puzzler61 Sun 26-Apr-20 13:28:55

Nannytrace.I hope your baby granddaughter remembers your fragrance. You must be really missing contact with her. Seeing her in photo’s or on a screen during lockdown is second best, not the same. I’m sure she will remember you.

TwiceAsNice Sat 25-Apr-20 22:51:34

Anais Anais and Rive Gauche when I was in my twenties then Arpege (Lanvin) and Opium in the evening only as it was quite a heavy scent. I’ve gone back to an old favourite Blue Grass ( you couldnt get it for a while and I’d forgotten how much I liked it and have worn it ever since

jerseygirl Sat 25-Apr-20 20:21:26

Chance by Chanel, Chanel madamoiselle but only for special occasions. I also love the strong ones, opium, black opium, obsession and clarins aromatic elixir, also estee lauder beautiful. I have also discovered again emporio armani, gorgeous!!

EmilyHarburn Sat 25-Apr-20 14:24:08

I loved White Fire by Grossmith
See this below on internet.

picclick.co.uk/Rare-Full-Bottle-Of-1950s-Grossmith-White-Fire-263244132379.html www.stephanmatthews.com/2018/01/old-cottage-lavender-by-grossmith.html
Way back in 1957 I remember my gran had a bottle of White Fire perfume that she kept in a glass-fronted showcase. It was in a tiny dark red ribbed glass bottle, and it had a gold capped top. It was very very special. I loved the smell and I thought at the time it was the most expensive perfume in the world.

cas58 Sat 25-Apr-20 11:03:36

I also love Jontue by Revlon but couldn't wear it. I said how much I loved the smell and got a ton at Christmas one year, then discovered I couldn't wear it!

cas58 Sat 25-Apr-20 10:44:01

My Queen by Alexander McQueen. Apparently stopped making it when he passed. I am so disappointed! I loved that one. I usually wear Chanel No5. Use the No5 deodorant as body spray.

harrigran Sat 25-Apr-20 09:32:27

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone or anything by Serge Lutens, Bronze Goddess for summer daytime.

debgaga Sat 25-Apr-20 09:07:37

Chanel no 19 for everyday. Shalimar for evening. Tom Ford Soleil Blanc for summer holidays.

Jang Sat 25-Apr-20 04:42:49

Gosh a lot of these sound very expensive/posh.
It's J'dore for me.. reminds me of when I met my OH
Previously White Musk (the body shop)
I also love DKNY Pure, for everyday use liked Little White Dress by Avon but they stopped doing it

Mollygo Fri 24-Apr-20 22:08:54

Estée Lauder White Linen- I love the smell of Youth Dew but it didn’t smell good on me.
Everyday perfumes tend to be light -Guerlain’s Aqua Allegoria Mandarine Basilic or Roger & Gallet Fleur de Figuier.
My favourite at the moment is Clinique’s Aromatics in Black. I love the scent and I like it because it’s not overpowering but I can still smell it on my skin even at the end of the day.

Bijou Fri 24-Apr-20 20:52:26

Coco Chanel but my granddaughter always buys me Chanel No 5. Years ago I liked Quelques Fleurs and Jolie Madame. Ones taste changes over the years and perfumes come and go.
At one time I used Helena Rubenstein products.

t42and24t Fri 24-Apr-20 20:10:32

Chance by Chanel,Llair du temp and to take right back to 70s Avons Wishing !!!!!!

Nannytrace Fri 24-Apr-20 20:01:35

Armani Mania. It’s the only perfume I’ve had where I have bought repeat bottles. It is such a lovely fragrance. When my granddaughter was born, I always made sure I wore it when I saw her so she should associate that smell with me. She is now 10 months old and I’m hoping it will help us to reconnect when lockdown is over. She’s still so small and I worry if she will remember me without any contact. I’m banking on Georgia Armani to assist with the reunion. Love that baby girl.

Dollymc1 Fri 24-Apr-20 19:22:22

My favourite is Liz Earle no 15, I just love it, it's quite 'spicy'
My other two faves are Lancome, La vie est belle and Tresor
Someone upthread asked if anyone remembered Oscar de la Renta, I loved this one when I was younger and spotted it for sale in Bodycare and bought a bottle for old times sake

hollysteers Fri 24-Apr-20 19:06:02

And ‘celebrity’ scents are just annoying.
BTW I read recently that scent, not perfume, can be kept in the fridge. It’s annoying to open a box and find the scent has gone orf.

katie1 Fri 24-Apr-20 19:04:45

Chanel No.5. I have worn it all my married life. I once suggested to my grown up children if I should perhaps try another scent. They were unanimous in telling me'No!', they said whenever they smell it on someone else it reminds them of me, and my scarves smell of it and it will always be me ?

hollysteers Fri 24-Apr-20 19:03:48

Although I love makeup and dressing up, I think there are far too many scents on offer, it’s too confusing! It would suit me if we had say three categories, floral, musk and maybe limey (which I like). Probably I would have been happy in communist Russia with no choice, I’m the same with supermarket food shopping? My sense of smell has deteriorated too.
However someone mentioned Paloma Picasso, I liked that and I used to like Paris.

J52 Fri 24-Apr-20 18:21:08

All time favourites Channel No5 and Miss Dior. But I came across Elizabeth Arden’s 5th Avenue and now wear it in the summer.

Acciaccatura Fri 24-Apr-20 18:20:03

My all time favourite is L'eau D'Issey and a current favourite is Beautiful by Estee Lauder.
Now that we are not going out, I'm not wearing my best perfumes. Does anyone know how long they last?