Gransnet forums

Chat

Small things (bit of a pun)

(77 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Fri 24-Apr-20 16:36:03

I'm pleased with myself because I hung out my washing for the first time this year! Some of it is 'smalls' as you can see! ☺

Bijou Sat 25-Apr-20 10:58:37

I wish I could hang out my washing but Because of mobility difficulties I have to dry my washing indoors now. I haven’t a tumble drier. Everything apart from sheets and one or two items of clothing don’t need ironing. My help does them.
I remember years ago before spin or tumble driers putting the washing through the mangle and hanging it out no matter what the weather. On frosty mornings it would be froze stiff.

Callistemon Sat 25-Apr-20 11:03:47

I shouldn't wish for a rainy washing day but sometimes I think, oh good, it's raining, I can use the tumble drier without feeling guilty.

I can remember the frozen sheets on the line!

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 25-Apr-20 11:10:12

My wash will hang out most days (if dry enough) otherwise the tumble dryer is put in action. Yes it's been great weather recently for drying outside - hope it continues!

LuckyFour Sat 25-Apr-20 11:13:05

I took my washing line down years ago. I was forever bringing my washing in when it rained and hanging it round the house. Since then I use my tumble dryer for everything ( I also use tumble dryer sheets which help keep the clothes soft and smell nice). I hardly do any ironing as I hang or fold everything as soon as it is taken out.
People say it's expensive to use a tumble dryer but I save on hardly using my iron.
Go for an easy life I say.

Roses Sat 25-Apr-20 11:14:50

I love my washing on the line outside,but I like it hung in a certain way if anyone else puts it out for me I am itching to go out and hang it my way

I think it's the only thing that I'm ocd about

Is anyone else like me

mrsgreenfingers56 Sat 25-Apr-20 11:17:39

I also love hanging washing out and seeing it blowing on the line. Dry outside all year if I can even though do have a tumble drier which I use just to fluff the towels up, weather certainly been lovely since this lockdown which has made it a bit more bearable.

AlexG Sat 25-Apr-20 11:23:36

I'm another who hangs washing out to on the line all year round. There are very few days when it can't go out, even for an hour and smells delicious when it comes in. I don't possess a tumble dryer and find when it has dried outdoors and is taken in and folded straight off the line into the laundry basket, very little needs ironing. Maybe I'm just not ironing-fussy!

Alishka Sat 25-Apr-20 11:26:51

Roses I used to be like that too! I had a gardening business and one of my clients was, frankly, (to me) b. hopeless at hanging out her washingwink So many times I wanted to do it the right(ie MY) waygrin Never did it, tho..

Harris27 Sat 25-Apr-20 11:40:52

Yes I put it out all year! Goodness couldn’t do without my washing line.

hereshoping Sat 25-Apr-20 11:42:26

Usually hang the washing out, when weather permits, but yesterday there was a strong farmyard odour so used the clothes horse.

nipsmum Sat 25-Apr-20 11:53:47

My washing gets hung out at all times unless its actually raining. Why ever wouldn't you if you had the facilities to do so.?

BBbevan Sat 25-Apr-20 11:54:06

I just love to see a line of washing blowing in the breeze. But I am a bit OCD when it comes to hanging mine out. Towels first. Large down to small. Then pillow cases. etc. I won’t bore you with the whole rigmarole. Suffice to say that if DH does it I have to sneakily adjust things. He never notices, bless him

georgia101 Sat 25-Apr-20 11:59:51

I like to hang the washing out too. It shakes the creases out of a lot of the items so I don't have to iron them, which I do if I've dried it on the airer. I haven't got room for a tumble drier or I'd use it to soften the towels though. Mine always end up like sandpaper no matter what I do. Any tips?

Onwardsandupwards Sat 25-Apr-20 12:19:11

I’ve never owned a tumble drier, ever since I bought my poor mum one many years ago, with my first wages.. She loved it until the electricity bill arrived..! I love hanging laundry outside on the line, when the sun is shining and the birds are singing. Something lovely about seeing sheets blowing in the wind, dinner’s on and I’m having a well earned cuppa. Sorry every this lockdown must be getting to me!

Onwardsandupwards Sat 25-Apr-20 12:21:38

*Everyone, not every this.

Stella14 Sat 25-Apr-20 12:49:21

I’m guessing I'm unusual here, but I won’t have a washing line of any kind in my garden. We developed it from scratch. From Spring to late Autumn, it’s considered another room, an especially beautiful one!

emilie Sat 25-Apr-20 13:12:12

Sodapop,better than a blackbird pecking off your nose.

live7 Sat 25-Apr-20 13:17:40

Hanging out the washing (about 9 months of the year) is one of my favourite things to do. A chance to get out in the garden, hear the birds, fresh air. Also environmentally friendly. It's 'my job and only let someone else in family do it if I'm out. Etc. Roses - I'm just like you! I alter it a little if someone else does it!! I choose my washing days according to the forecast and only hang on airers if I have to.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 25-Apr-20 13:46:30

Yes, I still hang washing out the way my great-aunt taught me as a child.

All clothes of the same kind hung together. Anything that might fade turned inside out.

Woollen items hung in the shade.

4allweknow Sat 25-Apr-20 13:53:43

Unless raining or absolutely miserable and damp the washing goes outside. With this warm sunny weather everything is drying so quickly and it is hard. I have to give it a spin, especially towels, in the tumble dryer for 10 mins to soften the fibres otherwise the towels are like sandpaper.

grannybuy Sat 25-Apr-20 13:57:41

One good thing about hanging washing out to dry is that we're using free power, as opposed to electricity - cheaper and more eco friendly.

lizzypopbottle Sat 25-Apr-20 14:09:45

We have had sunny days here in mid-Northumberland but it's been pretty cold up to now. Yes, I'm still wearing my socks, even some chilly nights in bed ? but I would never dream of ironing them! I do have a tumble dryer but use it only in winter and even then only for things that take ages to dry, big thick towels for example, as there's a risk they'll go a bit musty smelling. I have a couple of indoor airers and usually load them up last thing at night. My daughter has just bought one of those heated drying racks from Lakeland (other suppliers are available) and she loves it. I can hear my washing machine spinning the latest caseload and I'll be outside in the sunshine, pegging it out very soon.

I iron my karate suits (proper respect) and pillow cases (because we put our faces on them) but not much else.

lizzypopbottle Sat 25-Apr-20 14:10:48

Caseload? washload!

lincolnimp Sat 25-Apr-20 14:13:09

What's a tumble dryer, and what's an iron?

JaneRn Sat 25-Apr-20 14:25:08

I am so envious of people who have actual washing lines. I have just one of those swing around things and although the washing dries well it is just not the same as seeing a row of washing billowing in the wind.
Incidentally, why the problem with ironing? I hate doing it so my solution is to hang things when they have had only the slowest spin so they are still quite wet and with luck they either don't need ironing at all or only a very short one.