Gransnet forums

Chat

Have I just lost a friend?

(170 Posts)
ExD Sat 25-Apr-20 14:44:41

I have just spent 30 mins on the phone trying to pacify a friend who is saying she's NOT going to follow guidelines and she's FED UP with lockdown and her life isn't worth living because even if she and her DH do risk going out for a drive they can't stop for an ice cream or a drink at a country pub, and she doesn't see why we are expected to live like this.
I asked her what the alternative was and she said just go out and catch it and get it over with then we can all get round to enjoying ourselves again.
So she said was I happy not to see my grandkids again and I said it was better than killing them by passing on the CV bug
but she said NO-ONE was dictating to she couldn't visit who the hell she liked, and was shocked that her DIL wouldn't let them into the house when they drove round to visit.
I said my Dad was asked to pick up a gun and go and shoot people for which lasted for, f 4 YEARS while she was only being asked to sit in her garden, drink gin, get her shopping delivered and stay safe. What was she moaning about?
She put the phone down.
My DH who is 80 has gone back to a front line job and I would love to have him safe at home. That attitude makes me SO disgusted!
(I didn't do much 'pacifying' did I?) Oh dear!

Lizzyflip Mon 27-Apr-20 09:04:18

IT'S A BIT LONG BUT THIS IS WORTH READING:-
For the unteachable and Knowledge
Today the sun is shining, you leave your house.
You meet acquaintances. They don't cough, they're fine. It doesn't hurt to keep your distance and get close for a chat. You make jokes and then you go home.
You don't see me, you don't know me yet you brought me. In the midst of your family I choose my nest. After a few days I attack. Your wife / girlfriend/ husband/ brother is exhausted, her/his body feels heavy.
Nothing alarming, you think. Just a common cold.
I brought a fever and cough but you... you stay blind and deaf.
Inside I check everything.
Look... she suffocates, suffocates, panic, she suffers.
You contact the ER.
At the hospital I am king. They're just talking about me here. Everyone fears me: nurses, doctors, paramedics... I know. I scare them all.
Your wife / girlfriend is getting weaker but unfortunately... no resources, no seats, no ventilator, no masks.
Zero support no family... she's in her bed alone.
I feel she's scared. She cries, freezes, feels alone, it's dark. She says she loves you.
She falls asleep and I attack harder.
Everything goes its way: heart rate, twenty-five blood pressure, no air and then nothing more.... I decided that because her sleep will come forever.
You couldn't say goodbye. Just like everyone else I took her in the dark. Nothing will be the same again.
You were warned, right?
My name is Covid-19, and tonight with your help I can kill someone you love.
And you... all you can do is cry and regret...
Stay in your house - respect the rules, it's in your own interest or in the best interest of someone you love.
Selfish... it doesn't fit here!
I want five of my contacts to copy and publish (don't share) this post.
This is an alarm clock for the small group that still doesn't want to understand. ?? ?? ??
Until it gets out of your ears!!! ?
IT IS NOT OVER!!!!

Rene72 Mon 27-Apr-20 09:02:29

It’s her loss, you did the right thing and showing you care. I’m sure we’d all like to go and visit our relatives, I’m missing my grandchildren, I would love a hug from them. At least she has her husband, some of us have no one, my daughter live about 200 miles away and both my sons are doing my shopping but keeping to the 2 metre recommended distance means they don’t come in, having a heart problem means I’m very vulnerable.
Your ‘friend’ needs to be grateful she has someone who cares, like I said it’s her loss!

PamelaJ1 Mon 27-Apr-20 09:02:20

I would think that most of us on here are not privy to any more information than that which is in the media. Most of us aren’t in a position to say what should have happened re lockdown etc.
However we do have lockdown and I think that the vast majority of us are sticking to the rules. It doesn’t matter that some people disagree.
The majority are doing their very best to cope because they feel that is for the greater good. It could be that that belief is getting them through this difficult time.
Those who flout the rules are seen as uncaring about the rest of us.
That makes us very cross?. Whether the rules make us safer is immaterial, the message the rule breakers are giving is that ‘I am more important than the rest of you’.

Sparklefizz Mon 27-Apr-20 08:57:08

starblaze We should be moving to test and trace. I don't understand why we aren't there yet.

Maybe because the large order of tests bought from China were unreliable and we couldn't use them.

dizzygran Mon 27-Apr-20 08:52:38

I don't think you've lost a fiend - no one needs that sort of selfish person in their life. I find that sort of gung ho attitude intolerable. If they do get the virus and are seriously ill who will have to look after them - and who could they pass it on to. Like lots, I miss going out and seeing family, but am grateful that we all seem well. We can sit in the garden and have been able to get all the food we need. If your friend wants to be a statistic that's her problem but she has no right to take anyone with her. If she talks like this - no one will want to know her. Carry on as you are, keep yourself safe, which will help support the NHS and the community.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 27-Apr-20 08:49:55

What an ars* to have as a friend. Keep your distance.

sunnybean60 Mon 27-Apr-20 08:39:08

Your friend or ex friend obviously does not have any underlining health problems or family working on the front line or she too would follow government guidelines. I'm fearful mainly of other peoples selfish behavior that puts many at risk. I think this lock down has shown peoples true qualities. You have many peoples support.

Noreen3 Mon 27-Apr-20 08:32:11

It depends on what sort of person your friend is normally,perhaps she's always selfish,But we all feel like she does at times,I felt really miserable on Saturday,but I realise that we have to do as we are told.At least she has a husband and a car,a lot of us have neither.But I wouldn't be going for rides into the countryside if I had.As other people are saying,I was wondering what work your husband has returned to.And I hope maybe your friend will apologise for her behaviour

inishowen Mon 27-Apr-20 08:26:44

My husband had a wobble on Saturday. He was suggesting letting the grandchildren come to play in our garden. I said absolutely no. He said I was enjoying the peace and quiet too much. Things calmed down and all talk of seeing grandchildren stopped. Just saying, this is hard, be a little kinder to those who are finding it hard.

elleks Mon 27-Apr-20 08:09:31

It's like the anti-vaxxers who expect everyone else to conform, so that they don't have to.

Aepgirl Mon 27-Apr-20 07:43:45

Your friend doesn’t seem to understand that the lockdown is not just to stop her getting the virus, but also to stop her passing it on to others. She may not get it but she could still be a carrier. She’s very lucky that she isn’t on her own, as she has her husband with her. There are hundreds of people totally on their own, and there are families without gardens.

She is either very selfish or very stupid.

Starblaze Mon 27-Apr-20 07:36:47

I get what you are saying notanan. We can't stop it, I think we could have but that ship sailed. Now all we can do is buy time till a vaccine. We should be moving to test and trace. I don't understand why we aren't there yet.

NannyEm Mon 27-Apr-20 05:15:54

I would hate to disobey orders and then find I had passed the virus on as a carrier to my friends or family, who may not be so lucky.

rosecarmel Mon 27-Apr-20 04:42:02

I do understand, notanan- I didn't think your sense of urgency to lift lockdown was dependent upon statistics-

notanan2 Mon 27-Apr-20 02:40:16

These are people that wouldnt have otherwise died!

They would be alive.

They are dead because of lockdown and there are many more to come

notanan2 Mon 27-Apr-20 02:37:47

Don't use the rise in domestic violence as a statistic to get on with your life, because that's a ruse- Domestic violence didn't stop you from carrying on as you wanted in the past, but suddenly it's become something useful now that you cannot do what you want to do-

This statement makes no sense at all
Us not being in lockdown didnt cause extra DV deaths
Us being in lockdown does

notanan2 Mon 27-Apr-20 02:34:10

What sweeden wont have is our peaks of extra domestic violence deaths, undiagnosed cancer deaths, deaths due to abrubt indefinite halts to face to face mental health therapies, dentistry deaths, deaths that are usually prevented by access to long term condition management programs.

Also I worry that the longer those services are halted... the less likely they will be to restart! And the NHS will forever remain reconfigured as a life and death emergency service only.

notanan2 Mon 27-Apr-20 02:27:55

Don't use the rise in domestic violence as a statistic to get on with your life, because that's a ruse- Domestic violence didn't stop you from carrying on as you wanted in the past, but suddenly it's become something useful now that you cannot do what you want to do-

So are you not horrified that lockdown has caused domestic violence deaths to nearly double already
It will be much more than that long term when mental illness deaths from the trauma of being trapped in scary homes under lockdown get added to that down the line.

What I want to do, for your information, is get a scan I was referred to right before lockdown. Which is now cancelled. Indefinitely. I am not well. But I am not yet emergency sick. So I get no treatment until lockdown ends. Unless I get worse. What I wont get, for now, is better.

I am not missing going out for beers. I am missing access to basic healthcare and dentistry. And helf my household income. All that is life and death stuff too.

I am missing routine screening that DH and I now wont get until???

starbird Mon 27-Apr-20 01:59:45

We will not know whether Sweden has done better until a year or more has passed - right now they are doing about the same as us, but worse than their neighbours who are less densely populated.

It is quite likely that there will be a second wave for every country that has practised lockdown, and that Sweden will not get it, (as everyone will have already been exposed) which will make a big difference to the final result.

rosecarmel Mon 27-Apr-20 01:57:19

notanan, we, as a global community, will never return to the collective life we once knew, the one viewed as normal but wasn't- We are just beginning to see the fractures that existed in our society, the chinks in our individual armor-

Nobody is going to get this right- Nobody- But much will be learned from it-

notanan2 Mon 27-Apr-20 01:49:57

Sweeden also has much higher pockets of poverty than its scandenavian neighbours. So the assumption that it is most comparable with its neighbours is also seriously flawed

Its better to look at other EU countries that are also low/mid but who have similar social issues to sweeden.

then, Sweeden isnt doing "worse" than locked down countries!

notanan2 Mon 27-Apr-20 01:43:51

Sweeden has nearly twice the density of finland and density is a huge factor.

Just look at the UKs numbers. The UK areas with high density have many times more deaths than low density areas.

Its not accurate to normalise it by population as a population living in dense housing is not comparable to a population living in separate houses

MamaB247 Mon 27-Apr-20 01:43:39

You haven't just lost a friend. You have gained knowledge that maybe that friend isn't what you thought they we're. This whole situation is scary for everyone but I detest those who are ignoring the lockdown. I began isolating at first mention due to low immune system and respitory problems. I can't believe the people who just flout the laws regardless. I am sick of seeing Facebook posts of BBQs where people have had family over, or friends, or people having parties or a trio to teh beach. My son is 7 an only child and he knows better than that despite it been hard on him. Even some close friends and family have really shocked me. One minute spreading messages that we should stay at home next uploading photos of their kids playing with other kids from mike's away in paddling pools. I even got one inviting herself to my birthday because I'd mentioned having a quiet one at home with my Hubby and child. She decided that if she invite herself along she could keep social distancing despit eme being in a tiny place. With not 2 metres between each wall. Then taking great offence at been told nO that isn't happening. I want my child to grow up with his mum. I want me to stay safe, my hsuaband to stay safe and my child safe I don't want any of us to catch it. It will kill me and that's a certainty due to my lung capacity and people assume because they feel ok they are completely fine to be around me. It's wrong. They need to stop thinking they are untouchable and realise how serious this is

notanan2 Mon 27-Apr-20 01:34:37

Can we stamp this out completely?

No. But we could prevent huge spikes in domestic violence and cancer and other deaths by ending lockdown

notanan2 Mon 27-Apr-20 01:33:04

Across the whole of europe, Sweeden is doing similarly to others with similar densities