Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's kitchen refuge for the sharing of...

(1001 Posts)
soop Tue 28-Apr-20 12:21:07

Here we are again...all good pals and jolly good company.

WELCOME. Enjoy the treats on offer. All food virtually calorie-free. No washing of dishes permitted. Please relax and we'll raise a glass of cheer to each other. brew cafe wine Cheers!

kittylester Mon 25-May-20 09:36:09

I havent posted much in this kitchen but have been around the others for long enough to know that it is a place for letting one's feelings out in whatever circumstances and a place where loving support is always forthcoming.

And long may it remain so.

annodomini Mon 25-May-20 10:18:14

I've pm'd you. Kitty.

Callistemon Mon 25-May-20 10:38:46

I'm so sorry to hear about your ex-husband, soop and send my condolences to you and your sons.
flowers

I always think of The Kitchen as a 'safe space', a refuge and long may it continue, even though I don't pop in very often.

Best wishes to everyone

dragonfly46 Mon 25-May-20 10:42:55

I think we will indeed have to set up the hospital ward again with all these ailments and injuries.

soop so sorry you are suffering again. I hope the ITU goes away soon.

Cherry your graphic description of your fall made me wince. Please be careful!

I hope Mr Doodle is in less pain now the bruising is coming out and that Mr Dream regains his strength for the upcoming chemo.

It is indeed very quiet here but the kitchen floor was washed yesterday and remains clean so there must be an upside.

I have swapped my old fashioned keyboard as the letters had worn off for the small smart Apple one and it is far too small!

Susan56 Mon 25-May-20 11:46:37

It should have been Henry’s Christening yesterday.Why didn’t we think of doing this?

Cherry,Mr D,soop,Mr P,daisy and callgirl, hope today sees you all feeling a bit better.Apologies if I have missed anyone out.

A lovely sunny day today so back out into the garden for us.

TOYA

dragonfly46 Mon 25-May-20 11:53:22

That made me laugh Susan - sorry Henry is missing his christening. I hope he is feeling better!

I can't go in the garden as the sprinkler is on trying to get rid of Dexter's yellow wee patches.

Susan56 Mon 25-May-20 12:12:49

He’s been doing well the last couple of days thank you dragonfly.

Hope you get the grass sorted out???

soop Mon 25-May-20 13:05:43

Well now, you lot have been mega mega busy. It never ceases to amaze me when I toddle into our kitchen to find so much activity, conversation and lovely photographs for good measure.

Yesterday was a major buggeration. But this is today. I am just so thankful for your support and being free from the awful pain. Enough said.

I have a lot to catch up with. Please be patient with me.

Message to Maw...your chair is waiting for you. When you've finished whatever you are doing, please occupy it and enjoy a brew.

Sharing the latest photo of Teddy.

Charleygirl5 Mon 25-May-20 14:12:33

soop| he is such a handsome young man. What are we going to do with you and your frequent UTIs?

One suggestion is we open the ward and you have the single room- away from that other lot- none appear able to stand on their feet for two minutes.

There is insufficient staff to open a male and female ward but that lot will be so busy all they will want to do when they go to bed will be to sleep. You may have a lie in tomorrow- but that lot will up at 5 am as usual.

Their wives and other halves will be much appreciated once they return home.

Please do not worry, it will be sorted, just enjoy your rest.
TOYA

soop Mon 25-May-20 14:30:22

Charleyg My patience has been rewarded. Hence the following pics...

Charleygirl5 Mon 25-May-20 14:35:34

I love seeing those pictures- all I see are pidgeons. Is that how it is spelt?

annodomini Mon 25-May-20 14:55:50

soop, you must have been feeding your birds very generously. That's a big baby robin!

Grandmafrench Mon 25-May-20 15:17:51

If you are the old actor Walter Pidgeon - yes. If you are a feathered person, it's pigeon, charleyg

Wow what a scorching day. Our pool has already reached 24 degrees - from cold water a few days ago. We've just been out for a spin along the coast in our car, which needed the battery charging and everything to be loosened up again. Not used more than once a week. It's lovely to be able to come and go again without having to seek permission.

Our President will speak to the nation on 15 June and that's when we hope that "things" will be resolved, such as travel and how we are able or not to go to the UK and have family here from the UK and other parts of Europe. A bit of a conundrum but it needs to be sorted, I think.

I've seen baby robins before, soop but that's some portly little chap! What a privilege to see them like that. Hope you are feeling lots more like yourself today and all buggerations are in retreat. The first thing I saw on the Kitchen page was the photo of Teddy. I immediately recognised him before even seeing that it was your post, it's because he's so different from other smashing little chaps who've featured on here -because he looks so like the old photos of you. He really has the cutest little face.

Is today's holiday in the UK still called Whit Monday? I have lost track but I seem to remember that the Whitsun holiday had been renamed. My Son just spoke to me and said that he hadn't even realised that it was a Bank Holiday.....no danger of him going to sit in crowds on the beach then, even though he lives at the seaside. We did laugh !

It's possibly no surprise that Cream Teas delivered at home are a "thing" at the moment. Online records show that more people are ordering them as treats because they are mostly confined to camp and can't go out and enjoy one. That's something we would enjoy here in France.

Enjoy your day everyone.

Dreamkeeper Mon 25-May-20 15:19:22

`Afternoon dear friends in this our refuge,always a kind word....... and my word we need those in abundance.

In my other life it would have been my privilage to nurse you through another of your bouts of UTI Soop,it is so very unfair that these come so frequently.
Perhaps finding the best corner whereupon you can keep a beagle eye on the poor menfolk in their ward ,but have comfort,privacy and tender caring may well be a good idea!

I owe you Anno a great big thank you for kindly wishing you could take me on my quest to see and stroll on the sea shore,I truly appreciate your kind thought.
I have always lived either within the sight or the sounds of the sea, and I really am a Piscean with water wings!
However here we are just a little journey away from the water, but sadly not within vision or sound ..........and all of a sudden I have this great need within me.
We both had so hoped that we would make the most of this,what may well be our last summer together,and foremost were planning just quiet trips to the seaside,even perhaps only enjoying the sights and sounds from the car...........and then this dreadful virus came to visit .....and we are both shielded in Lockdown!
Still we are eternally grateful that we are at least together.

Trusting young Henry is happy and getting back to better health,I feel sure you too feel somewhat "battered" Susan following such a real fright.

For all our too many poorly members sending love and caring thoughts,to the more "hale and hearty" enjoy this Bank Holiday.
Keep safe.

soop Mon 25-May-20 17:40:09

I really am extremely grateful to every one of you for being kind, understanding and supportive. You are the BEST.

I am logging off for today. I fully intend returning tomorrow and spending more time with you.

Please continue to take great care of yourselves. flowers sunshine smile moon

halfgran Mon 25-May-20 19:43:42

Grandmafrench Whit monday is now referred to as the late May Bank holiday, for how long I don't remember, but my predictive text oddly enough changed it to Whitby monday!

cornergran Mon 25-May-20 19:46:38

Evening All. It seems there is a great tendency to accidents here, please everyone, stop falling about. Most of us don’t bounce.

There’s no way I can reply to all the posts in this busy Kitchen So I’ll just say TOYA, stay well - and upright.

annodomini Mon 25-May-20 20:19:01

Ah, Dreamkeeper, 'if wishes were horses, beggars would ride' and we would have a day by the sea. Alas! Today I have enjoyed sunning myself in the garden, moving my chair as the big maple obscured the sun. A wee snooze in my garden chair which was ordered from Aldi in kit form and assembled by me. Now the trees are tossing gently in the breeze. After losses caused by last year's flash flood, I don't have many colourful perennials, but I do love the variety of foliage on the trees and shrubs which makes up for the lack of floral content.
soop, take good care of yourself and have a good night's sleep. moon

CherryCezzy Mon 25-May-20 20:54:06

Evening Kitcheners ?
Not in as much pain as I thought I might be considering the number and shades of bruises I seem to have amassed ?.
Yes Smileless, the plant I wanted to pick/cut from is still completely intact ?, sort of makes the whole affair even more frustrating ?. Yes, it can bl...y well stay there ?.

Good to hear you are free from the pain of your latest UTI soop, you do get quite a lot of them. One once in a blue moon is nasty but what you go through must be horrid. Hope McSporran is treating you with lots of TLC even if your pain has eased ?
Teddy is a sweet looking boy soop but do I detect a little bit of cheeky mischief .... but lovely mischief ?

Doodle, I hope MrD is recovering, like me he obviously doesn't take to ballet very well ?

I too would dearly love a walk along the coast Dreamkeeper, the sea looks so inviting from my little lockdown windows (sigh). It's the first thing I want to do when I get my release date ?

Had a very strange thing happen yesterday evening. My WP and me were sitting watching TV when our neighbour opposite took a picture of us from inside her bedroom. Very bizarre and disconcerting. She always has her blinds closed but put on a bright light opened the blind, stood at her window and directed her gaze straight into our room. She then closed the blind, obviously got a camera, positioned herself back where she had been stood and pointed the camera straight at us. No crime committed but not very nice and odd to say the least. It's not as if my WP and me were even doing anything interesting at the time ?. I'm not sure quite to make of it.

Take care everyone, no falls, no ills, it's what I wish for for you all.
TOYA ?

Doodle Mon 25-May-20 21:00:13

soop what is it about your family. They’re all so good looking. ? lovely photo of Teddy.
To all who kindly sent thoughts to DH he is still rather bruised but as usual not complaining much. He was much cheered tonight by the delivery of a huge chocolate cake made for him by DGD and left outside for us to collect. Lovely to see them even if only from a distance.
Hope all others with health issues are ok and not in pain.
TOYA ?

NanaandGrampy Tue 26-May-20 09:27:40

Morning all !!

Well it remains groundhog day here . Who would ever have thought it in January that come May we'd still all be stuck in limbo?

Sorry to hear you were poorly Soop , that's all you need. That picture of Teddy must have cheered you right up .

I have been sent a brochure designed by young Jackson for his school work of a new holiday destination called Ducky Island. There is some very nice accommodation including Mallard |mansion with a butler, chef and maid. It has plenty of room so I have enquired about availability post lockdown and suggest a Kitchen trip !!

Loved the picture Susan , took me a minute to work it out but then it really made me laugh !

I'm not sure what Ive missed but sending a hug to those who need it and a slap round the back of the head for those who upset kitcheners :-)

I promise to try and keep up but if you'd all only post 2 word answers that would help :-)

Happy day all x

Charleygirl5 Tue 26-May-20 09:40:50

N&G will do!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 26-May-20 09:46:54

soop I do hope you are feeling better today.

Sending virtual (((hugs))) to all in need.

dragonfly I expect you are missing Dexter, he has been a major part of your life sincelockdown

I will,potter in the garden later after gazing in the freezer for something tasty to cook for dinner.

TOUA?

Daisyboots Tue 26-May-20 09:58:54

N&G Ducky Island sounds ideal especially Mallard Mansion for a soop trip. I love seeing the results of young children's imaginations. My grandson Rory is 21 today and he has always had a marvellous imagination. He did film and television studies at college but unfortunately in that line it's more a case of who you know and not what you know. If only my Dad was still alive because he worked in films from after the war when he joined Ealing Studios to when he retired from Pinewood film studios in his 70s.
It's a sunny morning on the Silver Coast and already 26C and going up to 33 so wont be going far today. The church bells have just been rolling which means someone in the village has died. That does make me feel sad.
soop your Teddy is a handsome young man and that photo is beautiful.
Went to the hospital yesterday and am now starting on my 4th round of oral chemo. I found out that the Covid19 test on Thursday is not to see if I have the antibodies but to see if I have the virus itself. Not looking forward to that as they say it is very painful having the swab up the nose.
Correction I have just received a telephone call from the hospital changing it to 10am on Saturday instead.
Hope everyone has a good day. TOYA

Purplepixie Tue 26-May-20 10:11:31

Hi all in this wonderful warm kitchen. Thank you everyone for sharing your wonderful photos, I must try and post some of mine.

I’ve been slightly unwell over the last few days so no hot toddies or wine for anyone, me included. Such a horrible sickly feeling with a headache - I was starting to get worried. Then a bout of the runs and I think that was down to some Brie that maybe should have been thrown in the bin, but I ate it. Oh well, a lot better now.

Bangers and mash for tea tonight with an apple pie to follow.

Sending love and hugs to all of my lovely friends on this wonderful site. Stay safe and sane. X

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion