Gransnet forums

Chat

Paying for your shopping

(104 Posts)
watermeadow Wed 29-Apr-20 13:46:18

For 6 weeks other people have done all my shopping. I do not bank on line and have found paying difficult. Nobody wants cash and they can’t pay a cheque into a bank.
I’ve given my bank card to family members to use but sometimes need it before I get it back. I’m also concerned about it getting lost.
I can’t go out to buy birthday presents so need to send money to grandchildren.
I’ve looked at on line banking only to confirm that I cannot do it, I am scared stiff by technology and by numbers. Nobody can help me as we’re all isolating.
There must be legions of old people having the same trouble. How do you manage?

Chardy Thu 30-Apr-20 10:11:20

Two of my neighbours' homes do not have a computer, don't use the internet at all, and so don't have an email address. One house copes because her son does all that on her behalf. Goodness knows how the other one manages.
Aren't some banks doing limited opening hours? My bank set up online banking, but I'm lucky because I have a lovely small bank where you know their names. The bit I find hard is setting up who I'm paying money to. They text you a 4 digit code to verify it's you. And I've mucked this bit up many times. Now I sit with the laptop, with DD on my phone calling out the digits. And she laughs at me!

readsalot Thu 30-Apr-20 10:16:26

If you can work out how to join GN then you can learn on-line banking. They will send you a card and small reader gadget and it is so easy! If I can do it so can you. Honestly.

Jaycee5 Thu 30-Apr-20 10:18:48

Watermead I had that problem for a while and I bought a pre-paid debit card. Pocket is the cheapest although more than it was when I bought it. 99p for each transaction including putting money on. I still use it occasionally although I now have a bank account with a debit card.
There are easy to open bank accounts if that is a problem. There are 3 which are listed on Moneysaver website. One is a Co-op Cashminder account.

newnanny Thu 30-Apr-20 10:19:07

I use Nat West and they are very security conscious. If I want yo make a payment to a new payee then I have to use a card reader. You put your card in and it generates a random number that you type in then it knows it is really you so kets you send the money. It would make your life do much simpler if you did online banking. You can check you account at any time, pay money from one account to another in seconds, make a payment to another person and set up direct debits for council tax etc. Could you ask for help to set it up and get a card reader through the post?

Missiseff Thu 30-Apr-20 10:21:45

Don't send cash to your grandchildren, we're not supposed to be handling it! My dad and sister stupidly put some in my birthday cards earlier this month, I couldn't believe it! I didn't touch it, dropped it in a box & it will stay there.

Pittcity Thu 30-Apr-20 10:31:37

I suggest ringing your bank as they are being very helpful at present. Mine offers a second card that you can transfer a small amount to when needed to give to your shopper.
Some banks are also offering cash withdrawal by post. A bit like ordering foreign currency by post.
Big supermarkets are also offering prepaid cards... Google it.
Telephone banking is easy as others have said.

Hetty58 Thu 30-Apr-20 10:31:49

I've banked online for decades with no problems at all. A friend usually sticks to cash payments.

She gave me a cheque for her (shared slot) online shopping (I didn't know people still used them).

I got my daughter to take my card, with the cheque, to pay into the bank's ATM. There's no need to go into the bank.

My card was cleaned with a disinfectant wipe and returned to me. Problem solved!

tanith Thu 30-Apr-20 10:32:16

For those who don’t know you can just wash coins or notes with washing up liquid then dry. If it cleans hands it can clean money the new notes don’t fall apart in water.

shysal Thu 30-Apr-20 10:32:46

Missiseff, your money will be safe to handle after 3 days in the box!

sarahanew Thu 30-Apr-20 10:42:16

I don't do online banking, never felt the need for it and I am lucky to still being able to go out, I'm a key worker. When I order anything online I use my PayPal account, which is connected to my bank account. I think you can make payments to other people through PayPal, not that I've had cause to, but it could be another option

lostinfrance Thu 30-Apr-20 10:44:56

Online banking is not so difficult once you have learnt to navigate the pages. You are clearly able to use the internet for forums so it's just another step up from that.

Telephone your bank and ask them about it. They can probably talk you through it whilst on the call.

Once you have it all set up then you can very easily pay other people - and I am sure they will appreciate having the cash paid in straight away. My mother has onlyrecently started online banking - I am most pleased as she used to pay me back by cheque. Cheques are a pita - no bank branchesin my town so would have to make a trip into anther town centre, pay to park - all during banking hours just to deposit said cheque.

Also many tradespeople nowadays (even my window cleaner) accepts an online payment. It's a lot easier than hunting around for cash.

MaggieMay69 Thu 30-Apr-20 10:45:15

I love internet banking! I love that I can see at a glance my wee bit of money, and put the odd pound here and there into my grandchildrens accounts, its not much, but I love it when they send me a message saying thank you for the fiver Nanny! lol

Its so much easier than I ever thought it would be!

EllanVannin Thu 30-Apr-20 10:53:18

I don't use internet banking. All transactions are done by phone with my security number which I've had for years. I've been with the same bank since 1960 or thereabouts and they know my spending habits etc.

What I miss is an ATM to draw cash-----but other than for birthdays, I don't really need it but at the same time I miss not having cash around. I use my " reserves " for the butcher or veg shop who take cash only.

Missedout Thu 30-Apr-20 11:04:52

Just to reiterate, if you use an app on a mobile phone, (open the app with a number code or fingerprint) you can't easily set up a payee (where you use a card reader) but you can see your balances and transactions and pay people already set up as payees.

Also you can make payments to people in your phone contacts list if you and they register for the service by linking their accounts to a mobile phone number.

Pittcity Thu 30-Apr-20 11:07:41

As others have mentioned it's worth downloading the phone app to accompany your online banking. A lot of banks have made coronavirus updates including paying in a cheque by simply photographing it.

Juicylucy Thu 30-Apr-20 11:12:58

What about giving the trusted family member the authorisation to take out a set amount from your bank account from the cash point and buy a pack of envelopes and then you can distribute the money to whoever in the envelope whenever anyone does anything for you that needs reimbursing.

Tish Thu 30-Apr-20 11:15:24

Hello. There is a VERY easy banking app provided by a bank called Starling... as long as you have the internet, a tablet/iPad and smartphone...and photographic proof of your identity like a current passport or driving licence... I transfer money into each month from my current account and it is easy to transfer cash into others bank accounts....

12Michael Thu 30-Apr-20 11:23:57

With the current crisis my local bank is now only open 2 days for 4 hours on those days .
Gather its created more queing .
When It started nearly 6 weeks ago, i had a credit card bill , did panic, in the end I sent a cheque , but also did an online search got onto the banks website ,saw the direct debit it, and printed it off then added my bits and sent it to them .
That monthly statement is now Direct Debit.
But myself buying food from local Waitrose I have gone contactless , as I am not spending money as I would do normally , my bank statement may show a big difference .
Mick

JaneRn Thu 30-Apr-20 11:38:46

On line banking is as easy as anything else you do online so please don't be scared. We oldies are as computer savvy as the younger generation. I have a password manager so that I don't have to type them in each time, which is a great help and means you don't have to remember them each time you log in.

One word of warning and I still do not know if my online account had been hacked but I received one of those scam calls purportedly from my Bank's security department saying they had intercepted a fraudulent attempt in Hong Kong followed by the usual advice from these fraudsters to transfer your balance to a new account. The caller was very persistent, trying to call all through the evening to the extent that I finally took the phone off the hook. Fortunately I am still "with it" but even so it was quite unpleasant and I can understand why people are frightened and fall for it.Most important, if you are given a number to respond don't dial it from the same phone as you will just be reconnected to the caller,

I reported the incident to my Bank ofcourse, but the most worrying thing was the fraudster was able to quote my balance to within a few pounds.The internet is a great blessing, but one always has to be wary.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 30-Apr-20 11:43:39

Internet banking is easy and reliable, but I wouldn't suggest you try to get used to it right now.

Wait until restrictions are lifted then get a person who is used to it and whom you trust to help you set an account up and preferably help you the first times you use it.

I am sure you will find it as easy as e-mailing once you get used to it.

Just promise me that you don't let other people, except your trusted helper, know your log-in code.

Right now, I am sorry to say that I don't know how you can pay for your shopping, if the people helping will neither accept cash nor a cheque.

icanhandthemback Thu 30-Apr-20 11:48:17

If you have a smart phone you can set up banking on there and you can also "ping" money. If you have a PayPal account you can send money to family and friends through that. Search online and there are video tutorials to help do these things.

Pippa22 Thu 30-Apr-20 11:49:43

Maw B the last thing we should be considering at the moment is buying gift vouchers. The recipient wouldn’t be able to get out to spend it and how many shops are going to remain closed then this is over ? Many very large long-standing businesses won’t be able to withstand these hard times. Much better to give a person you wish to give a gift to an I.O.U. and give a gift later when you can. Assure the person that your credit is good ! I give my grandchildren an emailed IOU in lieu of pocket money each week. They are saving up the printed out slips for me to pay out cash later. They love getting them each Friday.

icanhandthemback Thu 30-Apr-20 11:50:10

You can also buy prepaid money cards which you could give to the people doing your shopping so they don't need to take your bank card or need your details. I don't want to alarm you but if your card is cloned and the bank learn you have given your card/PIN to others, they won't pay out.

vickya Thu 30-Apr-20 11:55:32

You can send money via paypal to an email address if the recipient is set up to receive it.

Bijou Thu 30-Apr-20 11:56:04

I have had telephone banking for thirty years.joined because I live in a village and don’t have transport. Bills paid by direct debit. On line shopping by card. Transfer to savings account by telephone. Pay my help by cheque which she can pay in using her phone. Even the window cleaner will accept a cheque. No need for cash.