Gransnet forums

Chat

Paying for your shopping

(104 Posts)
watermeadow Wed 29-Apr-20 13:46:18

For 6 weeks other people have done all my shopping. I do not bank on line and have found paying difficult. Nobody wants cash and they can’t pay a cheque into a bank.
I’ve given my bank card to family members to use but sometimes need it before I get it back. I’m also concerned about it getting lost.
I can’t go out to buy birthday presents so need to send money to grandchildren.
I’ve looked at on line banking only to confirm that I cannot do it, I am scared stiff by technology and by numbers. Nobody can help me as we’re all isolating.
There must be legions of old people having the same trouble. How do you manage?

GabriellaG54 Tue 05-May-20 21:53:45

I forgot to add that banks sometimes ask for certain digits from your password and/or security number. You also have to have memorable places, dates, mothers maiden name fav book blah blah...a lot to absorb as digital, online and telephone banking often have different passwords and security numbers.

GabriellaG54 Tue 05-May-20 21:47:44

Kalu
Some banks ask for your DOB as well as name and address. Some (like Halifax) have voice recognition so you don't even need your card to do telephone banking. RBS do not have your account number or sort code on the cards, you have them sent to you on your initial paperwork. All banks have different methods.

Hithere Tue 05-May-20 14:40:06

Watermeadow
Why not use one of those appointments you go to the bank and have their staff help you with online banking?
It is as hard as it seems

It may sound scary but you need it. What you are doing now is not working and it is not sustainable long term
Technology is on our side and help make our lives easier

Kalu Tue 05-May-20 14:21:59

All the information is on your bank card re your sort code and account number. You are then asked for your full name and address, once that is cleared the person online can then assist you in making a payment..

Kalu Tue 05-May-20 14:18:09

If you phone your bank explaining you want to do online banking but are unsure of what to do, someone at the bank will help you through it step by step until you are able to do it yourself.

It took me 5mins to transfer money this morning.

GabriellaG54 Tue 05-May-20 14:06:03

Just download the app of the bank you are with. Input your email address and make up a password. There you are ?...not too painful was it?

BlueBelle Tue 05-May-20 06:23:52

watermeadow I think you need to bite the bullet and do online banking it really is very very easy and perfectly safe
If you are still not convinced it’s safe why not open one account for shopping then no one would have the details of your main money
or you could set up a paypal account again very secure and very easy
I use lloyds and find it very simple and yes watermelon I use a page in my diary for my passwords I don’t write it all just the first middle and last letter with dashes between to remind me I live alone and my diary isn’t on show so I doubt a bugler would have time to find it

jeanie99 Tue 05-May-20 03:49:51

Banks differ in their on-line systems and apps for mobiles.
It all depends who you are banking with.
A couple of mine are a pain in the backside because they use security keys to access your account. The keys are so small and don't always work and I've had one which was faulty which means a visit to the bank which is a pain now.
I have done on-line banking for years find it extremely easy to check and move money around I like to be in control of my own funds.
I would never use a mobile app, always do my banking on a laptop at home and balance to the bank.
At some point you will be able to go down to the bank and someone will be able to explain their procedure to use on-line banking, it's worth a try and well more convenient then having to go to the bank.

kittylester Mon 04-May-20 08:18:20

We use Premium Bonds as a sort of holding account when we have money without a 'proper' home until we invest it and win something each month £125 this month. It is really easy to move money in and out of PB.

Pharma shares are doing well but some new technology ones are doing much better.

MerylStreep Sun 03-May-20 19:14:50

I've banked online with 3 different banks. I think that the santanda site is the easiest to navigate if your a little nervous.
Be assured that there are legitimate hackers ( employed by banks ?) trying to break into accounts ( not yours or mine ?) making sure they're safe.

GabriellaG54 Sun 03-May-20 19:00:18

Premium bonds are not worth it now as the number if prizes have been cut.
I took all mine out earlier this year and bought shares which have outperformed bonds many times over. Amazon, Astra Zenica (most pharma) and mining have soared.

GabriellaG54 Sun 03-May-20 18:55:34

I think for some people, digital banking can be fiddly. RBS + Nationwide have card readers and you need to keep your phone by you whilst putting card in the reader and inputting the pin.
Some (like M&S) require you to start up the digital pass then input numbers then a code is sent to your mobile which you have to key into the pass etc.. blah blah.
If you are reasonably tech savvy it's fine but if you make a mistake the login can time out and you have to start again.
For those who get flummoxed easily, it can be more trouble than its worth. I do understand that it's not for everyone.
Some actions can only be done online and that means a second password and PIN which might be a bridge too far for some.

Yorkshirepudding Sun 03-May-20 18:19:38

Most large supermarket do e gift cards. Morrison’s, M&S food, Sainsbury’s & Asda, you can then give this card to the person doing your shopping and no money changes hands.

Pittcity Sat 02-May-20 16:01:11

Our premium bond wins and dividends are paid straight into our bank account.

quizqueen Sat 02-May-20 13:43:01

I've been to the bank twice during lockdown to put in some Premium Bonds cheques (only small wins) and shares dividends and you can get cash back or use the ATM at the same time . No point in the banks being open if you can't use them!!!! You do have to queue as they only let one or two people in at the same time.

MissAdventure Sat 02-May-20 13:20:33

I have never managed to do online banking.
I had a picture to remember, a password which was nothing like my intended one, because it had so many rules (upper case, special symbol...)

I think I got into my account once or twice, then got locked out. So I gave up.

allule Sat 02-May-20 13:01:07

Thanks for the reminders....I'll reorganise !

watermeadow Fri 01-May-20 19:13:12

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I wish I’d tackled on line banking sooner as now I can’t ask someone to help me. I can visit my branch in very restricted hours and may throw myself on their mercy.
I’m surprised anyone remembers passwords. I have mine written down as there are so many, lots demanded just for one-off purchases. No burglar is going to ransack a house looking for them.

Hellis Fri 01-May-20 12:36:57

I use PayPal to pay back my son for my shopping. It's easy to set up, you just need their email address, it connects to your bank account. I've just sent presents to my grandchildren from a children's book shop and have in the past done so through Amazon. Lots of sellers have a box for a different delivery address

Pittcity Fri 01-May-20 09:38:24

My bank used to ask for PIN once I had spent about £150 in total using contactless. Don't know if they've changed that policy as I've been using my phone to pay.

GabriellaG54 Fri 01-May-20 09:31:37

SpringyChicken
You are wrong.
You may be asked for your PIN at any time not just when the amount exceeds the cap.
Banks do this randomly to make sure it isn't being misused.

GabriellaG54 Fri 01-May-20 09:28:20

Allule
It's against banking law for you to have an account but give the card to other people to use the account, whether relatives or not...unless they have POA.
It's in the terms and conditions.

GabriellaG54 Fri 01-May-20 09:23:03

Even if you use contactless, banks tell you that randomly, you will be asked for your pin. Be careful when asking a relative or neighbour to use your card for shopping as if contactless is declined and they're asked for the pin but do not know it...?

cas58 Fri 01-May-20 07:11:50

I can't believe anyone gives out their pin number, even to family! Never ever give you pin to anyone!
It's in your terms and conditions that you have agreed not to share the pin.
If you need to claim the bank will ask you if anyone else knew the pin and they could declare it wasn't secure and not cover any losses.
Also if you lie and they find out later that someone did know your pin, it could be considered fraud.

allule Thu 30-Apr-20 22:37:47

I think card readers are being phased out. We are with Smile and have been told to recycle them, as they now send a code to my mobile phone.
Last year my daughters were having to make frequent payments for various things, so I opened a second current account, and they keep the card for this, and use it to get me cash, or buy things for me (when they could go shopping!).
Online banking also makes it so easy to pay each other money instantly.