Gransnet forums

Chat

Paying for your shopping

(104 Posts)
watermeadow Wed 29-Apr-20 13:46:18

For 6 weeks other people have done all my shopping. I do not bank on line and have found paying difficult. Nobody wants cash and they can’t pay a cheque into a bank.
I’ve given my bank card to family members to use but sometimes need it before I get it back. I’m also concerned about it getting lost.
I can’t go out to buy birthday presents so need to send money to grandchildren.
I’ve looked at on line banking only to confirm that I cannot do it, I am scared stiff by technology and by numbers. Nobody can help me as we’re all isolating.
There must be legions of old people having the same trouble. How do you manage?

Hithere Tue 05-May-20 14:40:06

Watermeadow
Why not use one of those appointments you go to the bank and have their staff help you with online banking?
It is as hard as it seems

It may sound scary but you need it. What you are doing now is not working and it is not sustainable long term
Technology is on our side and help make our lives easier

GabriellaG54 Tue 05-May-20 21:47:44

Kalu
Some banks ask for your DOB as well as name and address. Some (like Halifax) have voice recognition so you don't even need your card to do telephone banking. RBS do not have your account number or sort code on the cards, you have them sent to you on your initial paperwork. All banks have different methods.

GabriellaG54 Tue 05-May-20 21:53:45

I forgot to add that banks sometimes ask for certain digits from your password and/or security number. You also have to have memorable places, dates, mothers maiden name fav book blah blah...a lot to absorb as digital, online and telephone banking often have different passwords and security numbers.