Gransnet forums

Chat

Happy Birthday Captain Tom Moore

(39 Posts)
Oopsadaisy3 Thu 30-Apr-20 07:39:40

I hope he has a lovely day, I've just watched how some of the money he has raised is being spent in the wards.
Well done!

Toadinthehole Thu 30-Apr-20 18:49:02

Yes, I agree it probably was the wrong thread, but still.....people are maybe not thinking as clearly as they normally would, and it just took her back to a dark place. I suppose I just try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Callistemon Thu 30-Apr-20 18:25:21

It's a lovely thread wishing a wonderful old man a happy 100th birthday.

DH thought the fly-past was an excellent touch and he lost his pilot officer father in the war, although his plane wasn't a killing machine.
I'm sorry some don't feel any gratitude to those brave men.

It was an inappropriate remark, really, for a lovely thread.
Perhaps starting another thread would have been more appropriate.

Toadinthehole Thu 30-Apr-20 17:47:19

I think it’s a shame a few of you have picked on Grandma70’s for her comment. It’s obviously invoked a disturbing memory for her. I can imagine my mum, a child in the war, saying something similar. I didn’t feel she was belittling in any way, just saying what she remembered. This possibly wasn’t the right thread for it, but the memory is there nonetheless. I feel for all casualties of war, not just the British ones. I often wonder what would have happened if Germany had won. They certainly seem to thrive now, tackling CV much better than us.

FoghornLeghorn Thu 30-Apr-20 17:16:17

I don’t think Spitfires should be celebrated. They are killing machines, like all weapons of war.

If it wasn’t for Spitfires and their brave pilots we’d all be speaking German so I’m happy to celebrate them.

AGAA4 Thu 30-Apr-20 16:06:07

He is a ray of sunshine in all this gloom. Happy Birthday Colonel Tom!

rosecarmel Thu 30-Apr-20 15:49:07

Fantastic story, Happy Birthday smile

merlotgran Thu 30-Apr-20 15:27:08

Yes, a Spitfire and a Hurricane from RAF Coningsby.

craftyone Thu 30-Apr-20 14:41:00

He has such a beautiful spirit, happy birthday, he is just what we need at such a difficult time. The spitfires were a fitting tribute to an ex serviceman whose face lit up with pride when they went overhead. British designed and built in his lifetime

nanaK54 Thu 30-Apr-20 14:31:03

A wonderful, inspirational man - happy 100th birthday

Jabberwok Thu 30-Apr-20 14:03:50

I think it was a Spitfire and a Hurricane. A wonderful way to acknowledge this very brave man. Happy Birthday to you Sir!

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 30-Apr-20 12:47:07

That was lovely,Daddima I still miss Terry Wogan though.
Nice to see Colonel Tom in his younger days

Daddima Thu 30-Apr-20 12:34:36

Here he is on Blankety Blank!

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08bw9lr

Callistemon Thu 30-Apr-20 10:51:20

Happy 100th birthday Colonel Tom Moore

May you have a happy and peaceful day with your family.
Enjoy the fly-past, and remembering all those brave men, many of whom died to bring us peace.

newnanny Thu 30-Apr-20 10:28:55

Happy 100th birthday to Colonel Too. Have a lovely day and enjoy your fly pass.

Rosalyn69 Thu 30-Apr-20 09:53:00

Happy birthday Capt Tom. I loved the fly past. Good or bad it’s our history

oscaro11 Thu 30-Apr-20 09:41:39

Happy birthday Colonel Tom. I hope he enjoys the spitfires fly past. He deserves it.

JenniferEccles Thu 30-Apr-20 09:33:34

Happy birthday Captain Tom!

The Spitfire flypast is the perfect way to celebrate his amazing fundraising achievement, and to commemorate his birthday.

What a shame there had to be one sneery comment about that on this of all threads.

Just a thought Grandma70s.
If it weren’t for Spitfires you probably wouldn’t be here now.

silverlining48 Thu 30-Apr-20 09:22:42

Happy 100 th birthday colonel Tom. What an achievement he has just hit the 30 million! Perfect. Well done.

Dreamkeeper Thu 30-Apr-20 09:18:25

One of life`s real heroes and wishing our now Colonel Tom Moore a very Happy Birthday, and many more years with which to shine as a beacon of hope to this beleagured country of ours.

PS Indeed hoping he has not caught a cold as he celebrates with great aplomb outside at quite an early rather cool morning!!

merlotgran Thu 30-Apr-20 09:18:09

Happy Birthday, Col. Tom.

The sight and sound of a fly past always fills my heart with pride and gratitude.

EllanVannin Thu 30-Apr-20 09:13:28

To a lovely gentleman---a very Happy 100th Birthday.

Toadinthehole Thu 30-Apr-20 09:05:55

I’m sure I read his birthday was on Monday! Must have been dreaming.

GrannyLaine Thu 30-Apr-20 09:03:32

He has captured the heart of the nation in such a modest way. I wish him & his family a wonderful celebration. I love that the Royal Mail has made a special postmark in honour of this day and have made excellent provision for handling all of his thousands of Birthday cards.

rafichagran Thu 30-Apr-20 09:02:21

Grandma70 This thread is to wish Colonel Tom Happy Birthday not a discussion about Spitfires.
Did you forget to wish him Happy Birthday, which is what this thread is about.

Anniebach Thu 30-Apr-20 09:01:17

Happy Birthday Captain Tom