Gransnet forums

Chat

Has your bedtime changed?

(67 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 30-Apr-20 11:43:58

I was reading yesterday that many people are now staying up later and getting up later. Have you changed? We still go to bed around 9pm and get up between 5.30am and 6.30am.

moggie57 Fri 01-May-20 15:46:25

bed about between 11pm and 1pm .wake up at 9 am .get up or roll over for a cat nap. i tend to sleep more these days ,what is there to get up for?

Fennel Fri 01-May-20 17:07:55

My routine is about the same as yours, VQ. It hasn't changed lately. Husband goes to sleep later but up at 5-6 am.
I never sleep through - disturbed sleep pattern since I was a teenager.

Peardrop50 Fri 01-May-20 17:39:13

We go up at around 10.30pm and watch a series or a film in bed on Netflix, sometimes get hooked on a series and watch several episodes so don't snuggle down until 1 or 2 am. Mr P gets up at 8 am regardless but I sometimes sleep until 10 am when he brings me a cuppa. I could sleep for Britain, always have.

Happysexagenarian Fri 01-May-20 18:10:01

We actually go to bed a bit earlier since lockdown. Previously we'd stay up till midnight-12.30 and get up about 8.30-9.00. Now we're often in bed by 11pm and get up about 7.30-8am. I think it's a combination of the boring late night television and light mornings.

gulligranny Fri 01-May-20 22:15:44

A huge change here at Gulli Towers: DH has rediscovered the delight of reading in bed! He used to faff about until midnight or beyond, while I always retire at 10 to read. Now we are both usually in bed by 10.30 or so, for a read before lights out. And in the mornings ( we seem to be waking between 7.30 and 8) he brings tea and then we read again, sometimes don't actually get up until 9.30-10. Do we feel guilty? No.

misty34 Fri 01-May-20 22:17:32

No changes for me. I go to bed about midnight up around 6-6.30. I have mild back problems and if in bed any longer I really suffer when I get up.
I do sometimes go to my bed after lunch to read in peace [my partner has hearing problems and TV on loud all day] and I occasionally drift off for an hour. This works for me

paddyanne Fri 01-May-20 22:46:15

Rarely in bed before 2am ,up around 9.30 .Thats how we've always been.We worked in an industry where late evenings were normal often not finishing until midnight so when we got home we needed a couple of hours chilling time before bed.Now its just the way we are and we'll happily sit listening to music or setting the workld to rights until 4am some nights .Neither of us needs much sleep and it suits us being night owls

grannybuy Fri 01-May-20 23:03:29

Never in bed before 11.00, and it might even be between 12.00 and 1.00. I get a second wind between 9.00 and 10.00, so am sometimes energetic enough to iron, or wash the kitchen floor. I'm always up at least once during the night, and rise between 7.30 and 8.00, though with nowhere to go at the moment, later mornings are creeping in!

Eloethan Fri 01-May-20 23:34:18

Usually between 12.30 and 1.30 and up at between 7.30 and 8.30.

Rosiebee Fri 01-May-20 23:49:41

Tending now to watch Press Preview on Sky @10.30 followed by news and bed about 11pm. Reading 'till about 12. Take it in turns to bring hot drinks at about 8.30am. Scroll through news, papers, facebook etc on tablets, then up at whenever,often 10 am.

Fibrogran59 Sat 02-May-20 00:50:50

I suffer with insomnia, so i have not slept well for years. I usually go to bed about midnight, then read until i feel sleepy which is about 4.00am. I am a bit of an odd ball though i only really feel safe between 2.00 and 4.00 am, when i know that everyone is asleep. Just my way of coping with my life.

Skweek1 Sat 02-May-20 08:22:44

I am part of family Skype group who watch a couple of TV episodes or films most nights with DS's best friend. I'm normally a lark - bed around 9-10 at latest, read for an hour or so and fall asleep over my Kindle and up around 7. But at present going to bed closer to midnight and up 8-8.30, since no reason to get up earlier.

Skweek1 Sat 02-May-20 08:29:31

I should have explained that DH, DS and his said friend are all owls, never going to bed till around 3am and DS gets up around 9am, while DH, severely disabled, joins us about 3pm.

harrigran Sat 02-May-20 08:49:32

Life goes on as normal here, bed between 12.30 and 1am, awake 7.30 to 8am.
Whatever time I go to bed I still read at least a chapter of my book.

travelsafar Sat 02-May-20 09:40:53

Yes i am going later and sleeping in later. On a day when grey and wet i dont mind but on waking this morning and seeing the sunshine i felt annoyed as i would like to be up washed and dressed and ready to start my day by now. Going to get ready in a mo then go out for my daily walk before heading off to the greenhouse to do some jobs that are required in there. Later will get my sewing macine out and make a start on a pair of trousers i am attempting to make. Trying the pattern out on an old sheet to see if i can actually make them before getting some material, probably online as the relevant shops are not open.

BStP Mon 04-May-20 10:50:55

Yes we are going to bed later and getting up later. I usually go up about midnight to 1am then read a chapter of my book. DH comes up about 3am. I have been waking up early but then dozing again listening to radio 4 until about 9 30 when I make coffee. Not feeling guilty at all but it will be a shock to the system once I need to change back to getting up early again