Gransnet forums

Chat

Three things

(121 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Fri 01-May-20 07:54:26

What three things really irk you the most?
Mine are:
1) Anyone who phones me when they are doing other things, such as loading the dishwasher/washing dishes, in the loo, talking to other people in the room etc.
2) Drivers who haven't a clue where they are going, fail to indicate at roundabouts and drive like snails.
3) Anyone who doesn't speak properly ie: gonna, goin' havin' yous fink...was instead of were.
Yours are?

GagaJo Fri 01-May-20 07:57:06

1) People talking to me when I'm clearly doing something. Go away!

2) Everyone always assumes that the only work teachers have to do in their own time is marking. THAT is just the tip of the iceberg.

3) Mansplaining. Save it for someone who is interested in your drivel.

LullyDully Fri 01-May-20 08:25:48

I have a son who doesn't phone me as often as he should and one who phones regularly. The former phones on his way from work on speaker phone and has recently phoned while in the queue for the supermarket. At least we get to talk.

petunia Fri 01-May-20 08:30:43

Only three??

1)Still on the phone thing, people who eat while talking on the phone, particularly crunchy apples. Why?

2)Men (usually) in Lycra who cycle on footpaths at speed barely giving me time to leap out of the way

3)Women who get on the bus and plonk their bags in the inside seat then sit down in the outside seat. Then gaze innocently out of the window as the bus fills, thus ensuring that most of the journey they have a seat to themselves

Sussexborn Fri 01-May-20 08:32:05

People who are deliberately unkind making themselves feel better by undermining others.
People who talk to me when I am reading.
People who pretend to be something they clearly aren’t

sodapop Fri 01-May-20 08:38:05

That's me as well Sussexborn
People who talk to me whilst I am reading
People who walk on my just washed floor can't they levitate
Reporters who ask inane questions

Hetty58 Fri 01-May-20 08:40:44

Difficult to choose just three - but here goes:

Self important know-it-alls.

Those who speak too long on the phone (when I'm clearly busy washing up on the loo and chatting to others - they never seem to take the hint).

People who drive too fast and up my ar*e - I'm inclined to brake just to teach them a lesson!

NfkDumpling Fri 01-May-20 08:43:14

At the moment:

Covid19 is an obvious one and I assume doesn’t count. So:

The poltergeist who leaves the pantry door ajar all the time,

The negative attitude by certain interviewers, demoralising and speaking over the interviewee,

And, similar to petunia’s, cyclists who come up from behind and pass too close and seem to either not have or not be able to use a bicycle bell.

Oopsminty Fri 01-May-20 08:45:51

Saying Haitch instead of aitch

This really shouldn't bother me. I am just being unreasonable and picky

People who are unreasonable and picky

Journalists, (mainly BBC) who seem to think they are actors in a melodrama when filming reports

GabriellaG54 Fri 01-May-20 08:50:35

petunia
Your third one is me...oh dear! ☹️
I never put bags on the floor/ ground except at home but I'll take note of your 'irk' and put them in the bus luggage rack instead.

petunia Fri 01-May-20 09:05:19

ha ha gabriella-so its you is it? ill say hi next time i see you.
oh, it may be some time before i see you bearing in mind it may be a while before we use buses again!

Iam64 Fri 01-May-20 09:17:05

- joggers who run up behind me, don't socially distance and spread germs as they go by

- mountain bikers who cycle in our woodland and reservoir paths. None of them jingle and bell or call a warning that they're coming. My dogs are usually on lead currently, good job or they could be killed by one of these selfish, spitting idiots

- people who moan all the time grin

BlueSky Fri 01-May-20 09:17:51

People who get on public transport
and don't stop talking (loudly) on their mobiles. And they don't stop, what on earth have they got to talk about for so long?!

Lucca Fri 01-May-20 09:22:55

The ubiquitous use of Botox etc ( I mean have you seen Corrie’s Liz mcDonald !?)

Bad manners

Cyclists n pavement (is it even legal ?)

Susan56 Fri 01-May-20 09:27:39

Bad manners/rudeness
Judgmental/know it all people
People who talk extremely loudly especially in restaurants

eazybee Fri 01-May-20 09:30:09

People (generally family) who talk to me while I am trying to listen to the radio.

Musak playing in the Doctors' surgery. When I go there, fortunately relatively rarely, I am usually ill with an aching head and don't want toneless' music.

Music backing some radio programmes, particularly the World Service. Why?

Witzend Fri 01-May-20 09:58:10

Re those people on buses who plonk bags on the seat next to them, and then pretend that they haven’t noticed other people having to stand - I will just say nicely enough, ‘Could you move your bag, please?’ I do get the odd eye roll but that bothers me not at all, and nobody’s ever refused.

What amazes me is that so few people ever ask! Why not?

On the same tack, not long ago on a very full bus, a young man glued to his phone was standing in one of the buggy spaces, I think genuinely oblivious to a man with a buggy who had no option but to block the aisle with it. But he didn’t ask the bloke to move - why on earth not? I eventually did - nicely! - and he moved straight away to make space for the dad with the buggy.

Pantglas2 Fri 01-May-20 10:03:59

Litterers- take it home!
Tailgaters - you think I’m slow now? Just watch me...
Bad manners - please, thank you, after you, you’re welcome

tickingbird Fri 01-May-20 10:04:53

Drivers that don’t indicate, especially on roundabouts.

Bad manners and ignorant behaviour.

People that are constantly on their mobile phones, especially when walking on pavements reading texts.

henetha Fri 01-May-20 10:23:35

People who talk too long on the phone. It makes me feel giddy for some reason.
People who think their opinion is the only one worth having.
People who get seriously irked by the most trivial things.

GillT57 Fri 01-May-20 11:00:09

People who talk loudly on their mobile, I don't want to hear their illiterate drivel

Drivers who don't indicate/don't acknowledge when you let them through

Mess, litter, dumped rubbish, especially when it is in front gardens, don't these people see it?

EllanVannin Fri 01-May-20 11:07:07

Continued interviewing on TV when the sound's breaking up. Grrr.

Bad manners, lack of respect and discourteousness.

On the phone while doing their chores or from outside when it's windy.

People on their mobiles leaving children to run amok.

SalsaQueen Fri 01-May-20 13:47:42

I've got a massive list of things that irk me, but the top 3:

Insincerity in a person.

Liars.

Celebrities (they probably fall into nos. 1 and 2)

rosenoir Fri 01-May-20 14:19:00

Agree with the first point, people doing other things whilst on the phone.

The permanently negative, like my mother,that suck the joy out of everything.

People that confuse opinion with fact.

Maggiemaybe Fri 01-May-20 14:50:30

Re the bus seat thing. I always ask if I can sit down if someone does this and there’s no one else. There’s never a problem.

The last time I did it - the woman was sitting in an aisle seat next to an empty one - it turned out that the window seat was soaking wet because the window was leaking. I’m so glad I didn’t put my judgemental face on when I asked!