Gransnet forums

Chat

Three things

(122 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Fri 01-May-20 07:54:26

What three things really irk you the most?
Mine are:
1) Anyone who phones me when they are doing other things, such as loading the dishwasher/washing dishes, in the loo, talking to other people in the room etc.
2) Drivers who haven't a clue where they are going, fail to indicate at roundabouts and drive like snails.
3) Anyone who doesn't speak properly ie: gonna, goin' havin' yous fink...was instead of were.
Yours are?

Annecan Sat 02-May-20 13:04:40

Inishowen
You might like this....you are not alone!
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4oydSZTAns

Newatthis Sat 02-May-20 13:08:27

1. Jealousy
2. Meanness - and I mean those who know how to put money in their purse but don't know how to take it out!
3. People in the kitchen when I'm cooking.

Brigidsdaughter Sat 02-May-20 13:10:31

Wow. I struggled to think of three but found myself saying 'yes, yes and yes' reading the responses.
1. Judgemental intolerant people

2. 'Wine o'clock' especially in a tweet voice

3. Banter

sarahanew Sat 02-May-20 13:13:27

1) People thinking the lockdown rules don't apply to thwm
2) People moaning about what they can't have/get atm
3) The way the media is portraying wveeything/the way the statistics are being presented to us, don't feel we have the whole truth

Joesoap Sat 02-May-20 13:18:57

Only three?
My Huband who never closes cupboard doors, and slams the front door every time he goes out.

Adults who visi,t armed with mobile phone and insisting showing photos, or Googleing when asked anything.

People phoning while doing other things,taking things out of the dishwasher and rattling the things while putting them in cupboards

Violettham Sat 02-May-20 13:37:56

Quite few but the main one at the moment is people not pronoucing the T in words seems to be happening more and more.

gillyknits Sat 02-May-20 13:48:28

The fact that my DH can’t actually speak to me if he’s doing something physical, like putting in a screw . I’m actually surprised he can walk and talk at the same time!

Singlegrannie Sat 02-May-20 13:54:10

Online banking
Online shopping
Online anything else

quizqueen Sat 02-May-20 14:04:10

1. Cyclists who jump red lights.
2. People who don't know how to use an apostrophe.
3. People who think I want to share their cigarette smoke.

grannyrebel7 Sat 02-May-20 14:13:47

1.People who don't listen and only want to talk about themselves. 2. People who say ramp. 3. People who don't like animals.

Tweedle24 Sat 02-May-20 14:16:27

Answering the door while on the phone? Just occasionally I am guilty of this. My home is quite isolated. If I see a caller in the monitor and am not sure who it is, I might keep the telephone caller on the phone while I open the door, in case there is a problem. I do hold it discreetly by my side,

Most of the others suggested are bugbears of mine too.

mauraB Sat 02-May-20 14:18:32

Thanks Oopsminty, I suffered from having a post code containing two aitches !! It became my mission to re-educate Haitch users. Sadly, from my observations I think reception class teachers are to blame, too difficult to teach about silent letters? Another bug-bear is the use of 'Train Station' especially in episodes of Miss Marple, it was always 'Railway Station.' I remember arguments with my children in the sixties re the latter. "But Mum, its a station for trains"

Onwardsandupwards Sat 02-May-20 14:20:32

Checkout cashiers at the supermarket who put your shopping through so fast that you can’t keep up.. Bad grammar like ‘what was you saying’ etc.. people who constantly say things like ‘to be fair’ or ‘it is what it is’... I could go on all day!

katy1950 Sat 02-May-20 14:44:48

The media too must opinions not enough facts
Cyclists on pavements
Constant charity ads on the TV

Linipn64 Sat 02-May-20 15:09:37

My 3 are
visitors who knock then look through the window ?
DH who reads out every arrival in the paper to me !! I’ll read it myself thanks !!
People eating,talking to others while on the phone to me!!

Linipn64 Sat 02-May-20 15:10:28

Should say every article *

Bobdoesit Sat 02-May-20 15:18:19

Oh yes, Sussexborn people who talk to me when I am reading. My husband does it all the time but woe betide me if I speak to him when he is watching tv. Nothing else really but that one thing truly drives me insane!

Shesanana Sat 02-May-20 15:23:10

Husband
Husband
Husband

georgia101 Sat 02-May-20 15:29:22

At the moment it's the constant harping on about how we get out of the lockdown by journalists. It's the same question and answer every time - give it time - and give us a rest!

So-called celebrity specials where the celebrities are completely unknown to anyone in this family.

The complete idiocy and smugness of these same 'celebrities'.

Can you tell I'm having a bad day?

Pigma Sat 02-May-20 15:57:50

People not paying their way or saying they’ll pay me back for something and then ‘forgetting’.
They generally have a lot more money than me on my limited means but make me embarrassed or as if I’m penny pinching if I mention it so invariably I don’t and finish up out of pocket.
People who ask to borrow things and don’t return them, precious books especially.
Men sitting down in public or on public transport while ladies have to stand - not at the mo on that one! I’d divorce my DH if he did that, it’s nothing to do with equal rights, more to do with respect and courtesy.
Oh dear, what a misery I am!!!!

Bakingmad0203 Sat 02-May-20 16:14:11

People asking to borrow things and then returning them broken or damaged, with no apology. They probably hope I won’t notice and I don’t, until I want to use them myself!

Sparklefizz Sat 02-May-20 16:32:14

Adult women who speak in silly little-girl voices.

People who are flouting the lockdown rules and will make it worse for all of us who are making sacrifices.

All celebrities

Luvvie hypocrisy

Almost everything ..... I have turned into Victor(ia) Meldrew after nearly 9 weeks of self-isolating.

Xxjanexx Sat 02-May-20 17:27:55

Could we have 10 instead of 3!
Mine are:

The TV blaring out so loud I’m sure the rest of the street can hear(DH)

Laziness

Liars

Peardrop50 Sat 02-May-20 18:10:08

Slim and glamourous women
Domestic goddesses
Lottery winners

Peardrop50 Sat 02-May-20 18:12:26

Seriously though
The negative British press.
People who make no effort to improve their sloppy use of language.
People who aren't taking social distancing and lockdown seriously.