Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(67 Posts)
12Michael Sun 03-May-20 06:12:33

Good Morning Everyone,
Its light but its grey cloud and raining here in Brackley this morning.
Had my Chinese take away ,and have but on a few pounds , but anyway , they were giving away free face masks as well.
Today, maybe small shop , temped to do more home cooking than ready made meals which seems to be in short supply .
Otherwise a quiet day , relax which is a key factor to this Lockdown and hope later in the week a plan is made to gradually bring life back as we know it.
By the way one reported death through coronavirus, up to April 17th in the town according National Office of Statistics website.
Mick

Susan56 Sun 03-May-20 20:00:28

Cherry,I sent you a message earlier.x

Grandmafrench Sun 03-May-20 13:12:40

Cherry Why did I forget to mention you in my post? How rude! I'm losing the plot here. I do hope you are feeling stronger - not necessarily enough to do anything involving housework, gardening, ironing and other things which might need your attention - but strong enough to have an enjoyable Sunday and just potter.

I actually heard from Susan an hour or so ago and I think that she and her DD are now girding their loins to take on medical matters for Henry asap., and hopefully get to the bottom of his recent problems. I'm sure she'll let us know how he is getting on once there is a new plan - she will know just how many fans that little chap has on this forum! Have a happy Sunday flowers

CherryCezzy Sun 03-May-20 11:47:52

I'm wondering where Susan is. She didn't post yesterday and has not posted this morning. Has anyone heard from her? Seen her post elsewhere?
Susan I hope you are okay and everything is okay with little Henry too x

Grandmafrench Sun 03-May-20 11:43:06

Good Morning everyone from a sunny, blowy 25degs, S of France. Lovely in the garden, just dragged the net around the pool and now indoors rustling up some lunch.

Lots of things to do today but maybe won't do any of them. Going to be one of those days, I think. Spoilt for choice and filled with procrastination, that's me today. grin So an "I sits and I thinks" day in the sun will do just fine.

So good to hear about your Long Walk to Freedom, Urms. Things will get much better now for you. QuaintIrene you must keep posting - especially when you have such helpful hints. I shall try that, it'll go in my book of handy hints - yes seriously, I have one. Do hope your mood picks up even a little every single day. flowers

That doggie, dragonfly !!!! Obviously poor little soul is uncomfortable but I bet you'll be so relieved when you can shift the responsibility back to his Mum! Take it easy until then if you can....no stress. You couldn't have tried harder.

Happy Happy Birthday wine to you and many better ones to come, NannyTopsy. Maybe give yourself a treat and don't count the numbers for this one - fight back against the lost weeks and stay a year younger?

Anyone else manage a wry smile at the gift of a mask with a Chinese meal? (hmm)

Did I recall that you mentioned badgers in your earlier post, Gabriella? If not, sorry. If so, then long ago in the last century I knew the Arran family (of Arran). Lady Arran rescued and bred badgers at their English home for release onto the Isle of Arran when they were ready. Hilarious conversations I had with her Housekeeper one day when she told me that between the numerous Jack Russells in the house and the badgers also in the house, it was often like a three-ringed circus! They, the badgers were allowed free run and would often appear from under beds or wherever and presented one of the most difficult cleaning challenges, I should imagine. House did not smell, though, so full points to the long-suffering Housekeeper. I last saw a badger, close up, in Sussex at the top of our road next to the Downs. It was a really warm summer night and we had take the dogs for a walk, and the cat!, when we saw a female badgers with a number of little kits playing on a grassy verge. They were doing somersaults and chasing each other - it was such a privilege to see them. The dogs were silent and mesmerised, the cat went home.......

Have the very best Sunday. Not sure there will be that many more Sundays to suffer in solitude now.....the worst has passed so looking forward must be the mantra! We can do it. Big hugs and please STAY SAFE to you all. flowers

Nannytopsy Sun 03-May-20 11:41:18

Thanks Nortsat ! I’ll be round soon with some scones, strawberry jam and clotted cream! ( I wish!)

CherryCezzy Sun 03-May-20 11:28:10

Posted too soon!
Happy Birthday Nannytopsy ???

I'm not going to tempt fate and post more so I will just say this - I hope all my fellow good morning posters have a comfortable Sunday, I send special wishes to those of you, including Marydoll and Gillybob, who I know are unwell or not having an easy time. ???

Be kind to yourselves everyone of you ❤️

CherryCezzy Sun 03-May-20 11:11:26

Good morning Mick and all from a wet Gower. Typically, I put a load of washing in the machine late evening yesterday and one overnight! Drat!
My internet is driving me crazy, keeps going off then coming back. Hope it doesn't go now. Anyway suffice to say I haven't read all the posts.
Glad you enjoyed your Chinese meal Mick and you got a birthday pressies of a free mask thrown in smile

Urmstongran you so obviously enjoyed your freedom. Your description of your walk was poetic. I am so glad you got out and really enjoyed it. ☀️

Quaintirene good to have you posting with us, a positive sign that you have picked up a bit ?

EBear Sun 03-May-20 11:08:20

Good morning from a bright but cloudy Norfolk.
Just back from an hour and a half walk, DH decided to try a new country walk route which was very pleasant, just us and the birds for most of the time, the bird song has been amazing. Just that time out if the house helps keep our spirits up.

Roast for lunch then a lazy mooch around for the rest of the day.

Hope everyone has the best day they can.

EllanVannin Sun 03-May-20 10:58:02

Good Morning All x
Sunny at the moment but it was rather cloudy earlier, pleasant though.
Made a minced beef pie yesterday which will do me today and tomorrow with some new pots and broccoli today. No fancy pastry leaves on top like mum used to do.smile

Found the mince in the freezer on Friday so thawed it overnight. It'd been there since the beginning of March when I last shopped at Asda.

I really feel for Dragonfly and the dog. It could have been so much more relaxing without him there. I can remember my mum being mortified looking after nephew's rabbit and her ringing me constantly---it made her ill.

A Happy Birthday NannyTopsy x flowers

Urmston your description set me up for the day. I could imagine the beautiful flowers that you'd mentioned and it reminded me of the walks my friend and I used to do before breakfast. Have you visited Gibraltar at all ?

Poor Gilly, not having much luck are you girl ? This has to be the worst of years so far with one thing and another x

I'm not even dressed yet as I've been reading the paper so must get a spurt on and get washed first and sort myself out.

Take care everyone and stay safe and well xx

jacq10 Sun 03-May-20 10:53:53

Good Morning Mick and all who follow. Not a good morning here in the Highlands weatherwise - bit lazy about going out for my daily walk. Could use the excuse I have already done a walk with Urmstongran. So pleased to hear Spain is springing back to life. Have walked those streets many times. DH used to attend the church at the railway station in Arroyo but know the lovely wee white one on your route. Hope next week brings the prospect of an easing of the severity of some of the restrictions.

Nannan2 Sun 03-May-20 10:47:53

Happy birthday to all who'se got one this week!smilethankswinebrew

Nannan2 Sun 03-May-20 10:43:46

You can sew your own face masks,out of any old leftover cloth,(anything you were going to get rid of old tee shirts or shirts,tops,towels etc.?) My daughters been making for the family.im sure you can find instructions on youtube or somewhere online.hmm

Legs55 Sun 03-May-20 10:40:17

Good morning all. Mizzly here in Devon this morning so it's a day for inside jobs at least for now. I will finish painting the wall in my bedroom. Once that's done make soup (Butternut Squash) for Lunch & see whether the weather improves enough to get out in the gardenhmm

Megs36 Sun 03-May-20 10:38:50

I passed on all the good wishes for my husband and granddaughters birthdays yesterday.

SusieB50 Sun 03-May-20 10:34:54

Good morning from a cloudy dull East London .Nannytopsy Happy Birthday hope you enjoy your day as best you can .Got up early this morning but got involved with my “new refurbished “ lap top delivered yesterday by DSiL . He is an IT expert so bought this on my behalf and has already loaded all my photos from the old one bless him . I also have a very old desktop that my late DH used mainly but it seems to have died with him as I can’t get it to switch on . Once lock down over DSiL can sort it and probably safely dispose of . My new curtains I put up a few days ago seem to be improving my sleep , they are much thicker and occlude the daylight . But in a way I miss having the sun streaming in and waking me up .Can’t have it both ways !!
Usual nothing day today , I noticed yesterday on my phone calendar that I should have been visiting my cousin and his wife in Sussex ,☹️ it was arranged soon after DH died as they were unable to attend his funeral . So I phoned instead and had a long natter with his wife . Hope that my DS will cycle over with twin GDC today and we can have a front gate chat, I miss them all so much . At least they play with each other well . Other two GDC are nearly 5 years apart so not such company , although they do get on well .It must be awful for only children .

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 03-May-20 10:34:46

when was your birthday Mick? Mine was yesterday! My DD had ordered an afternoon tea to be delivered to us complete with Prosecco!! Delicious! Haven't finished it all off yet. Probably gained a few pounds, too.

GrannyOwl5 Sun 03-May-20 10:25:06

Good morning everyone from a cloudy east Kent but there are breaks so am hoping the sun gets through.
Your description of your walk Urmstongran was brilliant; felt I was walking along with you admiring the beauties all around.
Will be in the garden again today; all the seeds that I planted have decided to stir themselves and have sprung up so will have to repot and thin out.
Hope those having a difficult time have the best day possible. Take care and I like the idea of “stout hearts” Newquay!

Kalu Sun 03-May-20 10:22:26

Good morning all from another sunny day in Glasgow. Chilly at the moment but should warm up later in the day.

Lots of gardening yesterday during which DH, not realising I was behind a shrub, turned the sprinkler on and I got such a shock when I felt it hit me. When I started to run in an attempt to avoid the spray I stupidly ran in the same direction with the spray following me. Not until I was thoroughly drenched, the penny dropped, I did U turn, back into the house, dried off and changed into dry clothes. ?

My neighbour across the road was finishing her walk and messaged asking if I wanted to come out to play?. We stood blethering for about half an hour which lifted our spirits.

Hope you have a better day today quaintirene Depression is an awful thing to cope with at the best of times but must be much worse during lockdown. I enjoy a good jigsaw to take my mind off things. Hope it works for you too?

Pleased to hear you got a flight home Bellasnana Hope you are now settling down to life back in Malta.

I took a virtual walk alongside you Urmstongran and enjoyed every step with a clear view of what you described, especially the white church. I feel quite energised now ?

Happy Birthday nannytopsy??

Marydoll, like you, I am avoiding any posts with doom and gloom, especially any with what is a guess at when lockdown will ease. It will happen when it is safe to do so, in the meantime, I hope your pain eases and you find a cheery positive to help lift your spirits today.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 03-May-20 10:09:14

Goodmorning Mick and all x

Happy Birthday nannytopsy

It sounds like you enjoyed your walk Urmstongran'your description painted a picture I remember so well of that part of Andalusia ??

Poor Dexter he seems to be well and truly in the wars Dragonfly

It's a grey and still day here in S E Essex, we have a gammon joint for dinner accompanied by creamy mashed potatoes, cauliflower cheese, sweetheart cabbage and a mustard sauce.

I feel so much better than this time last week as does our baby GC, four more days of medicine and hopefully that's us both sorted.

It was DD's birthday on Tuesday, I felt dreadful that she only had a small surprise..........Mr.Gravy came upstairs with my tea this morning and asked what was in a certain package in the laundry cupboard......oops it was her birthday gift purchased at the beginning of January that I had totally forgotten about!!!!! We have just given it to her and she is extremely happy ??

Wishing you all a peaceful Sunday

Keep safe and well ?

grannysyb Sun 03-May-20 10:03:40

Grey here, had a rotten nights sleep as my nose is still swollen so mouth breathing so woke up intermittently with a very dry mouth. Naughty Dexter, hope he gets better soon . Quaintirene I'm not surprised you feel so low, I think we're all finding life trying at the moment. Have a good day everyone.

Gelisajams Sun 03-May-20 09:59:03

Good morning from a cool but sunny and calm Morecambe Bay. Just back from my bike ride. I managed to get a good bit further this morning and didn’t fall off today!
Won’t be doing much for the rest of the day as I’m now rather tired to put it politely!
Take care and stay safe everyone. ?

cornergran Sun 03-May-20 09:58:08

gilly. If you can try sending an email central customer services. You may get a different response,

Happy birthday nannytopsy, the birthday packages sound good, relax and enjoy it all. My apologies, missed you earlier. I’ve got one in the horizon, seriously considering ignoring it and having an ‘official’ birthday later in the year. Or indeed next year - quite happy to lose one grin.

Nortsat Sun 03-May-20 09:51:34

NannyTopsy Happy Birthday ?.
We discovered on another thread that it’s also ArtySue’s Birthday today too.

We are having a party today in my garden, as my garden table is longer than 6’. ArtySue is bringing homemade soup and is baking a cake. NanKate is providing Brie, French bread and chutney. Lisagran will bring strawberries and cream for pudding.
I am providing the wine and will upgrade to fizz now. My partner is a musician so he will sit in a corner and play some nice 1950’s cool jazz.

Come on over NannyTopsy for the GN Socially Distanced Birthday Lunch - my place at 12.45. There will be a chair for you ( and a belated chair for Mick too) ??

kittylester Sun 03-May-20 09:46:57

Many happy returns Topsy, you share the day with one of my Sisters in law and DD3's partner. He was really chuffed to find that (in lieu of the aborted wedding) she had changed her name to his by deed poll!

gma Sun 03-May-20 09:44:59

Very still and quiet with high light cloud here in Norwich! With just enough blue to make a sailor a pair of trousers! (One of my grannies loopy sayings) The people opposite are avid carbooters so no noise from them loading up at 6am and slamming car doors! Will be planting French bean plants out today and also squash and runner beans. Everything is growing like crazy and should be having lettuce and radish in a couple of weeks. Just as well that us and family like rhubarb! I think that all the care and attention lavished on them in the last 6 weeks is paying off!
Will go for walk later and post some birthday and cheering up cards! Take care, don’t get complacent (sure gransnetters wont) and hopefully things are improving!