Gransnet forums

Chat

Whats your advice

(56 Posts)
flowersfromheaven Sun 03-May-20 13:04:57

I am sat here in my kitchen and all I can smell is cannabis its coming through my larder (cupboard) even if I sit on my back garden to get away from the smell I can still smell it, Its coming from my next door neighbours they was smoking it at 8.30 this morning and it will go on all day, Come the evening he lights fires on the back garden which was lite at 12.30 last night, I have reported them and we was given a sheet to fill in about them having fires all the time , I have also reported them online about smoking cannabis in the house and garden all the time, Nothing seems to have got done, My partner as suggested that we move and tbh I don't want to as my house is fully paid and I love my house, Them whats moved in are renting the house and moved in last April, How do I found out who the land lord is, or what can I do . any advice is welcome.

Esspee Mon 04-May-20 11:03:00

Cannabis is is illegal in the U.K. regardless of where it is kept or smoked.
They are breaking the law and the police should intervene.
Keep reporting it and if you don’t get a response escalate your complaint.
Ask the police officer who notes your report to let you know the escalation procedure should nothing be done yet again. That should galvanise them into action.
Also contact your councillor and MP. List the dates you contacted the police.

NanaPlenty Mon 04-May-20 11:08:15

Our council have prohibited bonfires during lockdown - do keep putting in a complaint to your council. I’m sorry you’re having theses problems and hope something gets sorted out soon x

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 04-May-20 11:12:18

Don't think Moving house would do any good - they could be gone by the time contracts are exchanged, also you might find your new neighbours a nightmare, too.

Jura1313 Mon 04-May-20 11:16:19

Hello, I think that I would get an appointment with environmental health. They can be contacted through your local council.
My daughter had the same cannabis problem inside her house which also seemed to be trickling through the chimney vents.
You say that they light fires in the garden most nights, is it in a controlled fire pit, a barbecue or simply a bonfire? If they are burning rubbish because they can't get to the tip, then at least that is better than rubbish and rats accumulating. If it is more of a social thing to keep warm then they might be inviting people from a different family, thus breaking the social distancing code.
In this second instance, the police might be more interested.
Its a difficult problem to solve and one best done from a distance.
The environmental health department will know the owner as all residential rentals have to follow strick guidelines.

Sys2ad2 Mon 04-May-20 11:20:00

Apart from the fires not a lot you can do ask the local council for bylaws on fires
Stay put they won't be there forever

timetogo2016 Mon 04-May-20 11:20:28

My advice would be to go to the estate agents/Landlord and complain.
If you can`t find out who the landlord is you can ask the local council.
The smell of that stuff makes me phycially sick.

GardenofEngland Mon 04-May-20 11:27:28

Be careful if you put your house up for sale to move and they are still living next door you will have to declare nuisance neighbours now you have involved police etc. It does put people in a bad position. My daughter had the same problem she rented with the trash neighbour who lived next door. It only got resolved when they were evicted after dealers smashed up their house.

BlackSheep46 Mon 04-May-20 11:50:37

Chill out . Is your problem that it's cannabis (which is legal for one's own use) or is it the smell and the music volume ? The smell: light your own smellies in your own home - candles etc and use an air purifier. The volume - askmthdm
To turn it down. It's possible that they have no idea that it's bothering you. Above all try to be friendly and kind. Hostility will hurt you more than it hurts them. Maybe even ask them
To share a smoke with you ?

GrannyAnnie2010 Mon 04-May-20 11:54:24

Flowers from heaven, there are a couple of things that you can do.

One is to do an internet search for the property at the time that it was up for rent - naturally, this would be a few months before they actually moved in. That way, you can find out the agent and the terms.

Two - the Land Registry information usually states who the mortgage provider is. Report it to them, as it may be possible that the property was not purchased as a buy-to-rent.

Three - get a large block of wood or timber and some ear plugs/defenders. As soon as you can smell the cannabis through your chimney, start drilling. If anyone asks, you are making a sculpture from the piece of timber with your drill. Hopefully, your neighbours will associate the awful noise with their puffs.

Four - as soon as they start smoking in the garden, light your barbecue and start to 'cook' weeds such as dandelion and nettle. If anyone asks, you've seen this done on the internet and are giving it a go - you've heard that garden growth is good for the blood.

If you don't mind 'face-to-face interaction', you could approach them to ask for the landlord's details, as there seems to be water coming down the chimney at the common party wall on your side, and you will need surveyors to access their property to inspect, as the chimney stack might collapse onto their property if action is not taken soon.

Good luck.

allsortsofbags Mon 04-May-20 12:01:28

Sadly I think we as householders you are stuck with these sort of problems. Anyone in this situation has my sympathy. It drives my DH mad when he can smell cannabis.

Our next door neighbours smoke cannabis and the smell is awful. They are home owners, he is Head of Art at a large academy and she is a tutor at the local collage so in many way upstanding citizens and in other ways good neighbours.

We have lots of teachers and medical staff living on our road so most of the residents are professional or retired. Moving even into a reasonable area doesn't guarantee you can move away from the problem. They don't light fires though.

Also my sister lives in a Local Authority over 55's flat and the smell of cannabis from the lady below her is often over powering. The LA and the police have been informed by all the other residents, 6 flats in the block, and there isn't much they can do although it's against the tenancy agreement.

If you do put your house on the market you will have to declare the nuisance neighbour, I think someone has already mentioned this.

Even if the Landlord is willing to take the financial hit for evicting those tenants and turning the place round there is no guarantee the next tenants will be any different.

A very sad sign of the times I'm afraid and so many of us are affected by these types of things.

SillyNanny321 Mon 04-May-20 12:14:44

There isnt much you can do about these nasty neighbours. I have rented my property for 11 years. From day one man next door was a pain. Always complaining. He moved in with his girlfriend & rented the property out. Some good people some horrendous over the years. Young couple in there now with toddler & 4 large dogs. Nice people,dogs are lovely. Fence blew down. My Landlady says not her side. Landlord next door just abusive. Does not maintain the property very well. Eventually put an old wardrobe door up as fence as the dogs could get in my garden. They smoke pot in front garden where all can see & smell. Now in Lockdown they have BBQ's with friends round, loud music & smoke from BBQ means I have to shut windows. Point of this is that no-one wants to help. Counci, CAB, Councillors & of course the Agents for my property all say it is down to me to sort out with them. So do not get your hopes up too much that you will get any help from anywhere or anyone. Just hope that they move soon.

Daisymae Mon 04-May-20 12:38:07

Was the property advertised as being to let? In that case the agent could be contacted. Would be the easiest way to get contact with the owner.

icanhandthemback Mon 04-May-20 12:52:20

Write to their Landlord as they will have a clause in their contract about living peaceably with their neighbours. The landlord might also have concerns about continual fires because if they get out of control, it would be their asset which would go up in smoke. Also they may be concerned about the use of cannabis but I suspect nobody else will be as the charging rules were changed for personal use. If there are visitors coming at all times of the day who don't stay but are there long enough to buy something and then leave, the police would be more interested.

Buttonjugs Mon 04-May-20 13:08:20

I rented a house from a letting agent for a couple of years. On the night of my son’s stag do, which I went to, when I got back with two of my sons the other one who was looking after the key was nowhere to be found. We were drunk so probably making a bit of noise, until son turned up with key and there was probably noise for an hour or two after we got in. It was a complete one off, two sons had come down from Scotland with a friend, apart from this one night we were model neighbours and had been for a few months. They still complained, miserable so and so’s. I was properly reprimanded by the letting agent, so there are some who take it seriously.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 04-May-20 13:10:03

Try googling the address to find out who actually owns the house. You'll be surprised to see the amount of information on the Internet.

Moving is not the answer - you don't want to move and honestly if you did, you might run into the same problem in your new home.

Someone in your local council has access to find out who actually owns the property, but I am not sure the landlord can do anything.

Have you seen this article?
www.express.co.uk/life-style/property/1072403/smoking-weed-uk-cannabis-legal-neighbours

Callistemon Mon 04-May-20 13:11:22

I would keep on and on to the Environmental Health Officer at the council about the fires in the evenings. What on earth are they burning? Are there any other neighbours you know who are being affected? Sometimes complaints from more than one person might have more effect.

As for the cannabis smoking all day - the police. Possession is still against the law in the UK. If it is causing you distress they cannot ignore this.

Starblaze Mon 04-May-20 13:17:55

Have you tried asking them nicely to smoke away from your windows and not have fires every night?

They might be nice people?

Smoking canabis will be legal here soon, rarely acted on by police even back in my days as a student they didn't care or arrest you for small quantities.

Starblaze Mon 04-May-20 13:32:01

I just noticed.... Royal you, I don't smoke it lol

Jaycee5 Mon 04-May-20 14:06:21

It is a horrible smell and the modern stuff is much stronger and sickly.
My flat block gets full of it when my neighbour is here. We thought she had moved out but she was just sent to an assisted living place for a while after coming off section. She was just about to come back when the lock down happened so we have had a very peaceful time. We have it all to look forward to again when this is over.
It is hard to get away from. I can only sympathise. I can't imagine that you will find anyone to take it seriously at the present time. I had to close all my doors at night time and then open all the windows in the morning however cold it was. It made it bearable but still unpleasant.

purplepainkiller Mon 04-May-20 14:33:33

Finally a decent friendly response! I smoke cannabis for chronic pain. My landlord knows as does my doctor. Without a smoke I couldn’t function at all. Maybe the neighbours are smoking for a health reason? I’ve been told by a policeman that they can’t do anything if I’m smoking in my home, I can even grow up to three plants. Laws are changing for the better because it helps so many people’s quality of life.

Hetty58 Mon 04-May-20 15:17:34

flowersfromheaven, have you investigated the larder/cupboard thoroughly to see if there are any airbricks or vents?

There might be a crack in the wall somewhere, otherwise.

Our original larder here had a floor grille connected to an air brick. As a garage had been built onto the side of the house, I blocked it up with bricks and cement (to stop mice coming in).

Davidhs Mon 04-May-20 15:36:27

You dont mention confronting the neighbors directly, if you haven’t don’t !. Low level deliberate aggravation is very difficult to tackle, at least by law abiding people.

If you try to move you will have to declare any disputes with neighbours, maybe your complaints to the council etc count as a dispute, that could reduce the value of your house by many thousands. As next door is obviously rented, the landlord may even be encouraging them to be a nuisance so he can buy your place cheap, sorry, there are really nasty scams going on.

Gummie Mon 04-May-20 15:47:34

In our area the council have put a ban on all bonfires whilst we are in lockdown. What on Earth are they burning anyway that they have regular evening bonfires!
I feel for you it’s horrible when you have inconsiderate selfish neighbours. Sticking out someone else’s home with foul smelling weed is inconsiderate and selfish.

Callistemon Mon 04-May-20 16:18:45

I was puzzled about the smell coming through the larder too and wondered about there being a gap which should be blocked up.

Whether or not it is useful in the relief of pain, purplepainkiller is beside the point entirely.

It is illegal and, if someone does not use it but is subjected to the smell all day every day, that is unacceptable.

constance Mon 04-May-20 17:13:32

Oh I hate that smell too! Someone was smoking a couple of times last week when I was in our back garden, either that or there were foxes wandering around spraying! Someone must know who the landlord is - surely there is a register at the council?