Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(95 Posts)
12Michael Mon 04-May-20 06:11:55

Good Morning Everyone,
Its looking grey but its dry this morning in Brackley .
Today , will do my current routine , tempted to do some cooking of meals in the week.
Ready Made ones in the supermarket seem to be low.
I have Turkey and Beef Mince ,and plan to make a chilli with Turkey Mince and a spag bog with beef mince, but will use take away containers so I can freeze them if I can make sufficient portions.
My weight is going up slightly maybe apart from walking, I being unable to to travel further afield has made it possible .
Take Care
Mick

Callistemon Tue 05-May-20 14:01:02

Waitrose are absolutely useless.

I have just had another message from them assuring me that they are doing all they can to help our customers

As a longstanding customer, with a Waitrose card and who is on the shielded list they are doing absolutely nothing. Then they had a cheek to put an advert under their messafe advising me to shop at Waitrose for groceries and wine.

Thank goodness for Tesco. We would be going hungry otherwise.

GabriellaG54 Tue 05-May-20 14:10:29

I agree GrannySomerset however, try lugging home a large bottle of laundry liquid, 3 litres of milk, food, toilet rolls etc etc enough for 7 days.

GabriellaG54 Tue 05-May-20 14:13:14

It's not always the weight of the goods it's often the bulkiness of certain items.

GabriellaG54 Tue 05-May-20 14:20:02

It depends where you live too. I've just looked at Sainsbury's website and there are 3 slots available tomorrow, 8 on Thurs. None Friday and a lot on the following S S M T W T F. If people want them they are there now. I'm not taking anyone's slot away.

MawB Tue 05-May-20 16:38:47

The 8 bags were just for me but to clarify, they put one item (pizza subs) in 1 bag as they're from the frozen part of the delivery van
You must be confusing us with somebody who is interested hmm .

Nevertheless...

What was it you said about people only booking one online delivery slot per week GabbyG ?
If you order food for 7 days there is no need to order twice in one week. Most people have fridges and freezers

GabriellaG54 Tue 05-May-20 17:11:39

MawB
I don't know what it us with you always picking holes in what I write about whether it's say do or spend.. and there are thousands of GNers yet you decide to target me practically daily. ?
Yes indeed. I did say one slot per week but the Thursday slot is in my name but not for me. It's for someone whose DH is 84 and she is unable to leave him for the length of time she'd need to queue and cannot get a slot due to her being 66.
Anyway, nitpick all you like if it amused you. Carry on ??
We're supposed to be helping others and I'm doing just that. You are not the arbiter of my actions.

GabriellaG54 Tue 05-May-20 17:24:22

...and I see you've reverted to the GabbyG jibe again.
Does it make you feel good...eh,?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 05-May-20 17:32:55

In our group of local friends we whatsapp whenever anyone secures a delivery slot and like GabriellaG54 add on others goods it works well for us, surely it's the friendly thing to do in these strange times?

Marydoll Tue 05-May-20 17:48:09

I do that too.
I have managed a number of deliveries and add my vulnerable neighbours' shopping onto my list.

Largolass Tue 05-May-20 18:09:39

I have a Sainsbury's delivery every week and collect my elderly and frail neighbour's list and add it to my order. She's so grateful as there's no way she could make the early slot or stand in a queue. Just being a good neighbour.

MawB Tue 05-May-20 18:38:02

Then please GabriellaG try to resist picking on gentle and shielding members of GN who happened to have 2 delivery slots 6 days apart as if that was some heinous crime and who should not have to defend themselves from your backbiting.

MawB Tue 05-May-20 18:39:16

I meant to say pompous and self-righteous backbiting.

Marydoll Tue 05-May-20 19:27:46

Gabriella, you are indeed very fortunate in being able to access so many slots.
It must depend on where you live.
Despite sheilding, it is a battle for me to get slots here.
I have managed a few, but have to spend hours trying to get one.
It's even more difficult for my vulnerable neighbours, who are afraid to go out.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 05-May-20 19:35:36

Marydoll if I look online between 6-7am the last few weeks I can usually secure a slot, a few weeks ago it was 11-12pm. I think the supermarkets vary the time they release them.

Callistemon Tue 05-May-20 19:45:01

I'm shielding too but it is still difficult to get a slot.

Sainsburys - impossible, no answer at all
Waitrose - not interested: 'Frankly, my dear, we don't give a damn'
Morrisons - keep you waiting for 20 minutes then say they don't deliver in your area.
Ocado- not taking new customers
Tesco - helpful and have slots but no eggs at all.

Neighbours - happy to help but we dont like to bother them too much. They will bring us eggs!

How do people manage to get slots?

Marydoll Tue 05-May-20 19:48:21

Grannygravy, my daughter is working from home and is very good at looking.
Sainsburys are useless, as are Asda.
I've had a couple of Tesco and two Iceland deliveries.
It's very time consuming, trying to get one.
It is what it is. Due to my pre Covid siege mentality, we won't starve.?

GabriellaG54 Tue 05-May-20 20:03:51

MawB
All I said was that two slots in one week was frowned on by supermarkets, nothing to do my opinion and I did not backbite.
I have no idea what that person or the majority of people on here are like, what troubles they have, what illnesses or disabilities they or their families endure/ suffer. Does that mean I go to the back of the queue? No. We are all equal on here. Some rich, some poor and some in between. Illness, disabilities, single, abused married, happy/unhappy, with and without children, all human life is here but those GNers who stand up for themselves without whingeing, who have no problems or manage them effectively, who come on here in a positive frame of mind, seem to be the minority.
Does that mean I have to refer to you before posting because you seem to know an awful lot about people's situations and you intervene even when the poster has not said anything.
If one hasn't the ability to reply to a post, why be here?
Yes, my post was to that person but supermarkets don't discriminate between her and me. We are both classed as vulnerable, like it or not. I am a possibly a good deal older and live alone but I certainly don't lean on that to be treated any differently.
I don't ask anyone to agree with me and I can paddle my own canoe, thank you very much.
If a person, any person, can't take a post querying the fact that virtually all supermarkets say one slot per week, then perhaps it's not the right social media.
Gawd knows what would happen if any gentle individual was handed a parking ticket.
This site is becoming like skimmed milk.
I'm off this thread and will never engage with any remark you make in future.

GabriellaG54 Tue 05-May-20 20:05:57

Where you live depends on the slots available. Most people here are able to shop themselves. Yes, there are queues but not like some areas.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 05-May-20 20:10:51

We are lucky that we have a farm shop just up the road along with a “Tesco’s metro” and a “Sainsbury’s local” all within walking distance.

It appears to be a postcode lottery?