Gransnet forums

Chat

What has your better half fixed today?

(67 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Mon 04-May-20 13:44:01

Inspired by the discussion of the wobling toilet seat and the passing references to husbands, I would like to share the following:

DH has finally (it took three months) identified the grease trap, taken the lid of it and cleaned out the blocked drain, so now I can do a whole washing without having to wade through the wash-kitchen!

What have yours done recently to make you remember why we love them?

Calendargirl Mon 04-May-20 17:29:08

The lawn mower has developed a hole in its side, rusted through.
Will probably lash out on a new one end of summer, when reduced hopefully, but to keep it going for the time being, DH has spent most of the day trying to fashion a new side part out of an old frying pan! Lots of welding type activity have gone on, but reluctantly will maybe have to find a thinner bit of metal.
It has kept him occupied all day.

Puzzler61 Mon 04-May-20 17:29:18

DH has earned his supper today - he banged a large stake in the lawn and buckled a leaning tree to it.
The tree can grow straight and tall now ?

mrswoo Mon 04-May-20 17:41:04

He has started to dismantle the garden decking as he has a grand scheme for paving in mind. Admittedly the decking was old and getting a bit rotten but it could have waited. So far it has involved a lot of sawing, drilling, noise and swearing. The swearing was mostly from me as I realized he has started something that he will be unable to finish until lockdown is over. The garden now looks like a bomb site and any hope of warm evenings spent sipping a G&T on the patio have been reduced to rubble.

Grannyjay Mon 04-May-20 17:46:45

I wish my DH was the pro active handyman type but he isn’t. Like a bull in a china shop.

GabriellaG54 Mon 04-May-20 17:58:36

As I'm the better half I do everything that it's my responsibility to fix myself. Anything else, I get someone in to do it and bill my landlord. ????

GrannySomerset Mon 04-May-20 18:06:43

DH has never been a practical man. His mother thought him too clever to be bothered with mending things; I have always preferred to pay someone to do a proper job - AND FINISH IT - and this has kept our marriage going. Now I have to do everything anyway, so if I can’t do it I usually know a man who can. Though not at the moment, obviously.

Davidhs Mon 04-May-20 18:11:12

She mowed her mum’s lawn and edged ours after I mowed it, quite handy actually !.

Brunette10 Mon 04-May-20 18:18:04

My DH has been working on our Summer House today by adding on new guttering and downpipes. He actually built the Summer House when it was delivered and hand painted it to complete. He has always been a ‘hands-on’ man and for normal makes a very good job of tasks. He is, as I write just finishing the job off and a very good one at that.

Brunette10 Mon 04-May-20 18:21:39

Here it is.

JuliaM Mon 04-May-20 18:22:52

My OH has been in a right grumpy mood today! Hes been digging out an old dead Tree root that is being a bit of a pain in the backside to remove. He refused any Lunch, then came back into the kitchen later, and made a right mess on the worksurfaces helping himself to a Sandwich, there were empty packets and crumbs everywhere, he certainly does not believe in the 'Clear as you go' theory!

Hetty58 Mon 04-May-20 18:23:00

I don't have a 'better half' - I'm a complete capable person all on my own!

Today, I glued and nailed just a couple of bits of wood onto my wall panelling project - and destroyed some bamboo roots in the garden. Very lazy of me. I just don't know where the day went to be honest.

GabriellaG54 Mon 04-May-20 18:30:58

That looks fabulous Brunette10
I hope it gets lots of use this year. Does it hold many people?

Love the topiary too. Very swish ?

Puzzler61 Mon 04-May-20 18:55:37

Brunette10 - what a beautiful summer house, and a clever hubby.
Wish you long summer days to enjoy it.
☀️

Lucca Mon 04-May-20 18:58:07

I don’t have a better, or worse, half. And why should “he” be the fixer anyway ? I’ve fixed the blocked Dyson.

Puzzler61 Mon 04-May-20 19:06:40

Lucca my DH and I have been wed for 42 years.
As a partnership we work to our own strengths and he is definitely the better fixer of broken stuff (I’m the clumsy one).
And I’m definitely the better cook out of us both. ??

Brunette10 Mon 04-May-20 19:06:58

Thank you for your lovely comments. I certainly hope we shall get good use if it for many summers. Gabriella we have a small 2 seater settee and 2 chairs and a small coffee table in it so not huge but suits us. We also have a small electric heater in and lighting. It was a retirement present from me to my DH.

Willow500 Mon 04-May-20 19:15:53

Packed up vintage snare drum and associated bits to send out to son no 2 overseas who keeps ordering them off e-bay!

Raided my dad's ancient tools and sorted out some for son no 1's special project and packed those up to send down south. He has plenty of modern tools but seemingly needs 'just the right' ones.

Guess who's got the job of arranging couriers tomorrow hmm

CanadianGran Mon 04-May-20 19:42:02

Brunette10 that looks really nice.

I am lucky to have a husband that has always taken pride in the way our home looks and operates. In fact he was maintenance foremen at the hospital for many years before retiring (early due to health) and any issues are taken care of before they really become issues!

Last week it was mend the drainpipes, lift some cement garden squares, hire a roofer to replace a few tiles, power wash the outside of the house, etc. He is always busy! That and he walks the dog twice a day and makes my lunch for me. Love him to bits!

Dinahmo Mon 04-May-20 20:00:54

Brined a chicken for roasting later
Hung up some washing
Put in and hung up more washing
Swept the floor
Prepared lunch - remains of soup he made yesterday with bread and cheese
Weeded the garden - removing a midwife toad with eggs on his back to a safe place
Cooked the supper.

My contribution - prepared asparagus for roasting.

Sadly he's nearly, but not quite the angel he seems as we do argue.

Maggiemaybe Mon 04-May-20 20:02:53

I’ve just asked mine what he was up to this afternoon while I was extremely busy upstairs clingfilming jigsaws, as you do.

Helping Jean cover her brassicas, apparently. I shall enquire no further.

littleflo Mon 04-May-20 20:07:50

He has Finally agreed the we have a leak in out toilet. For a month he has said the wet tile is because I use too much water when washing the floor.

This has been a real worry for me as I had visions of new toilet, wrecked tiles and all sorts of problems getting a plumber . Fortunately a lovely man came and fixed for us and only charged £60.

morethan2 Mon 04-May-20 20:12:01

My husband thought the ‘bushes’ ?? On the rear of the car were worn so he’s had the jack out. I’ve no idea what bushes are, so I don’t know if it’s made me happy or not. Today he fixed an awning on our south facing patio that’s made me really happy. Over the last few weeks he’s hung lots of photo frames on walls, cut the grass, washed the cars,I’m very happy about those things. He’s spent hours and hours in the garage on his beloved motorbikes and that’s made him very very happy, very happy indeed. He’s honestly loving the lockdown.

Gingster Mon 04-May-20 20:16:12

DH has just finished refurbishing the bird house that was going rotten in places. It isn’t as high as it used to be but looks very smart. Hope the birds appreciate it .

GabriellaG54 Mon 04-May-20 20:29:43

Brunette10
I'll be round on Thursday ? Tea just frightened with milk, no sugar.
Scones would be great. ???

ginny Mon 04-May-20 20:38:15

Just two whole people here but One of us has cleared out a cupboard full of craft stuff and old photos and the other decided he would paint the inside of the cupboard. Just need to encourage him to do the whole room.