Gransnet forums

Chat

What has your better half fixed today?

(67 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Mon 04-May-20 13:44:01

Inspired by the discussion of the wobling toilet seat and the passing references to husbands, I would like to share the following:

DH has finally (it took three months) identified the grease trap, taken the lid of it and cleaned out the blocked drain, so now I can do a whole washing without having to wade through the wash-kitchen!

What have yours done recently to make you remember why we love them?

Grannybags Mon 04-May-20 20:44:42

My husband has whacked the washing machine motor with a hammer but it still doesn't work.....

I've ordered a new machine which is coming on Saturday!

dontmindstayinghome Mon 04-May-20 20:48:02

My OH is a really very good DIY- er.

He is excellent at the 'middle bit' of projects, he just struggles with the beginning and the end.

In other words he has to be persuaded to start and always leaves something unfinished!

Brunette10 Mon 04-May-20 21:14:13

Gabriella you would be most welcome. Cunard scones are my speciality wink

merlotgran Mon 04-May-20 21:57:25

I've been skimming through this thread so I've just gone back to make sure Dinahmo's OH hadn't brained a chicken for cooking later! grin

GabriellaG54 Mon 04-May-20 22:05:01

How hospitable of you Brunette10
Cunard scones...intriguing
Anything to do with Liverpool's Cunard building?
As long as they're not Titanic scones but actually, anything made with love and served in a generous gesture of hospitality would taste sublime to me.
Thank you...???

MawB Mon 04-May-20 22:09:12

I’d like to think mine was keeping a kindly eye on us all from his cloud. And maybe putting in a good word with “Him upstairs “ for all poorly people ?

Dinahmo Mon 04-May-20 22:12:04

Merlotgran The brining works very well. I read about it a few weeks ago and we tried out with chicken breasts. Now we do it all the time with chicken. It keeps the meat moist. Lots of recipes on the internet for brining.

Sussexborn Mon 04-May-20 23:07:04

I woke up before him this morning which is a first. I had to make my own tea and then my own Greek yogurt with nuts and honey. I used the manuka honey instead of the cheapo blended version because I’m worth it.

We bought the paint for the main bedroom just before the lockdown but so far it is still sitting in the passage waiting for us to feel the urge to move furniture etc etc etc. Neither of us like the disruption.

Callistemon Mon 04-May-20 23:22:48

He's thinking about painting the conservatory.

I can supervise.

Callistemon Mon 04-May-20 23:24:41

Do you put the honey on your face Sussexborn, because you're worth it?
I'm sure it would be better than any face creams although rather sticky!

grannyactivist Tue 05-May-20 01:05:52

Today I had a lot of admin to catch up on and when that was finally done I cooked a roast dinner for us. Oh yes, I sorted out a kitchen drawer today too. [smug emoji]

However, The Wonderful Man has been furloughed and so is delighted to put his 'free' time to good use. He put the washing on the line, loaded the dishwasher, sorted our recycling into separate containers (as recently requested by the council), he planted up some seedlings then disappeared to the allotment where he put in a couple of hours preparing beds and sorting the greenhouse before coming home and mowing the lawns. After that he disappeared again and continued with the re-insulation of our very large attic rooms until I called him for dinner.

He genuinely is like the Duracell bunny in that he just keeps going until he's stopped. There is no DIY project that he won't tackle and to get him to sit and relax has proven very difficult over the years, but nowadays he does actually come and sit with me for an hour or so after dinner most days.

Callistemon Tue 05-May-20 09:47:33

My other half seems to be in a doing and fixing mood today
?
smile

Redhead56 Tue 05-May-20 10:00:39

Better half? I have always done the DIY in the house and garden as well as working for our family business. We finished the business eighteen months ago. My husband ran it over forty years. I have so much of a struggle with osteo arthritis I I simply can't do some jobs. My husband has to pay to get these jobs done now and has only just realised over the years I have saved him thousands of pounds. Now he keeps saying he might have to get a little job to pay for these extras! I have never considered painting decorating fixing and mending on a property extras they are essential!

vampirequeen Tue 05-May-20 10:09:41

He serviced both our bicycles today.

MerylStreep Tue 05-May-20 10:20:58

Not exactly 'working' yet as the tides coming in and bringing a bitter cold wind with it.
But, he has made some soup and has a loaf on the go. That was while I cleaned the conservatory windows and pulled all the furniture out to hoover behind.

Sallywally1 Tue 05-May-20 19:28:14

Am jealous. Would love a summer house!